Fighting Games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mas
    Having little experience with Tekken, I really cannot comment.

But Virtua Fighter is not a button masher, frankly, I don't even know where you get that idea. Some characters are more easy to use by newer players, but there are many MANY time/frame sensitive characters who can destroy people who button mash.

And I think you just suck at the VF floating mechanics.

VF is one of the deepest and most satisfying games to play really, I honestly have no idea what you are talking about.

And in respect to realism, no, not realistic, but yes, fun, and extremely deep in terms of gameplay.

I'm right, and in the deepest darkest places you don't want to talk about, you know you're wrong.

I'm sure since you're a hardcore gamer you've read reviews, but here are a few for the newest installment, virtua fighter 5.

IGN: 8.8
    Gamespy: 5/5
    EGM: 9.7/10
    PSM Magazine: 9/10

There were a few outliers like Game Revolution and Pure Magazine UK, but all other scores were in the B to A- range.

P.S. You're getting really REALLY angry about a video game. *tee hee

Edit: For redundancy redundancy
    People don't understand that the reason why floaters exist is so that combos are character specific. ie: kage must use completely different combos on jeffry and aoi after going TFT. (although even crumbles in VF are character specific)

Ultimately, any fighting game that claims to be realistic just won't be. you can't simulate a 1 hit KO or anything like that. virtua fighter is merely a game, and a game that works very well because it is deep, competitive, and very balanced. one of the only games where if you know what your opponent is going to do, you automatically know the counter.
    Last edited by v1y; 4/18/2007 9:22am, .

Comment

http://www.gamespot.com/gamespot/fea...701/p7_01.html

Last edited by Neildo; 4/18/2007 10:24am, .
      :new_all_c

Comment

Originally posted by v1y
        People don't understand that the reason why floaters exist is so that combos are character specific. ie: kage must use completely different combos on jeffry and aoi after going TFT. (although even crumbles in VF are character specific)

Ultimately, any fighting game that claims to be realistic just won't be. you can't simulate a 1 hit KO or anything like that. virtua fighter is merely a game, and a game that works very well because it is deep, competitive, and very balanced. one of the only games where if you know what your opponent is going to do, you automatically know the counter.
        The fight night series actually does a decent job of 1 hit KOs (or at least knock downs). If you time a circular punch just right (as the guy weaves into it), you can usually crack them and get a flash KO.

With my love for illegal blows, I've had many a matches where I walked out to the guy, taunted him, he threw a wideass haymaker hook that I met with a elbow to the skull that got the first knock down of the fight.
        "Emevas,
        You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

I like this one better

A WINNER IS YOU!!!

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
          King, and lord of sin and pride
          With some mist his wits make dark.
          He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! MOTHERFUCKER.

Comment

Originally posted by Emevas
            I especially like scoring 17 illegal elbow shots and then smashing him with the left hook over and over again until his face looks like something out of Total Recall.

No doubt, it's still just a video game, but at least you aren't throwing balls of fire and taking out people with jumping-spinning-back-flipping kicks.

Comment

Originally posted by SongPower
              In any event, to get back to the topic at hand, Buriki One is a pretty realistic and fun fighting game.
              Finally, someone other than me knows about this awesome game! Gai Tendo all the way!

When it comes to Martial Art realism, I'd say most of Virtua Fighter is pretty realistic with the exception of the juggling and air floating and so on. But every style depicted in that game are so beautifully done.

Tekken is a close second to me. Sure, they may have either bears or kangaroos doing weird styles, but when they have styles that are from real martial arts (Kyokushin Karate, Tae Kwon Do (both Olympic and Moo Duk Kwan), Muay Thai and so on, then that really makes the game shine.

I would also say Fight Night, but technically that's a sports game, so yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by meng_mao
                SSBM sucks. The original has a better speed and is much better balanced, I think.
                SSBM is insanely inbalanced. SSB has balance issues as well, but not to the level of SSBM. And as for speed, I dont see what you mean, SSBM runs much smother and faster, and the improved engine and controls allow the player to do WAY more stuff in Melee and in Original Smash. Also, SSBM is much deeper... its also one of the reasons SSB never became too big on the pro gaming scene as were Melee is huge. (But not Halo huge)

Comment

like i said before.

pride fc for ps2 -2002

and the japanese only k-1 2003 for ps2

most realistic while you people look to tekken and vf as the most realistic.

shit is sad.

Comment

beyond a shadow of a doubt it's Dave Douillet's Judo.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBullshid0zer
                      beyond a shadow of a doubt it's Dave Douillet's Judo.
                      I don't care what anyone says, that game kicked ass.

DDR + Judo = awesome

Comment

Re: speed of SSBM. The characters and items move so fast that my reflexes have trouble following. And yet the indivdiual attacks seem to take a lot more frames. Not saying the game doesn't run smoothly, I just don't like the pacing.
                        The #1 thing I hate about SSBM is the changing environments. I want the fight to be just between the characters.

Originally posted by Shawarma
                        Second best MMA engine is the one from the Fire Prowrestling series. Tons of fighters, moves, and the ability to score one-hit submissions and knockouts made it a very entertaining series of games. From FPZ onward, it also had a simple but working groundfighting model. Also easy to emulate if you have the ROMs and have spaces for up to several hundred custom wrestlers and fighters.
                        Yes, it's true. After Fedor beat Crocop, I relived the fight countless times on the GBA Firepro.
                        Often Fedor would armbar or GNP me, but I also got plenty of high kick KOs.
                        52 blocks documentary: arrived

"Joe Lauzon looks like a quiet, Internet guy..." -- Dana White

Comment

Originally posted by MoonSoo
                          When it comes to Martial Art realism, I'd say most of Virtua Fighter is pretty realistic with the exception of the juggling and air floating and so on. But every style depicted in that game are so beautifully done.
                          The game is not realistic. The animations may reflect what the fighting styles attempt to convey, but ultimately -- praying mantis kung fu doesn't work.

Comment

Seriously? I never knew they made this game. What system is it for?

Originally posted by Epicurus
                            Oh, and who could forget David Douiellet's Judo.

Comment

Has anyone else played that ARCADE boxing simulation game? The one where you stand in a motion capture field and hold the two handles (which are actually heavier than one would have expected) and "fight" the guy onscreen? To be honest, it's not that bad, and if you get far enough, it's a decent workout.

Comment

Originally posted by lk2230
                                Has anyone else played that ARCADE boxing simulation game? The one where you stand in a motion capture field and hold the two handles (which are actually heavier than one would have expected) and "fight" the guy onscreen? To be honest, it's not that bad, and if you get far enough, it's a decent workout.
                                Yeah, except you can't parry, pat, cover, shell-up, infight, or throw any manner of tight hooks and uppercuts. I've seen kids play the game looking like a constipated crab from all the ducking and weaving they did for "defense" =P
                                "Emevas,
                                You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X