Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Aikido

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Why Aikido

    This being Aikido sux month and all, I have another direction I would like to take this.

    With what we all have seen in those aikido clips that refer to self defense, why should I waste my time trying to seek out and find the one real style of hard fighting aikido, when there are a myriad of other more easily accessible, more easily learned and effective styles out there? My judo is by far cheaper, effective and practical than my old aikido experience. My BJJ/MT is far more agressive and gets me into better shape (or rather will once my shoulder heals).

    What would be my motivation? Please make it clear to me why I should choose Aikido from a somewhat objective perspective. My goals are to get into shape, loose 20-25lbs in 6-8months, learn how to reasonably defend myself in an unarmed altercation in about a year, meet new people without tremendouse egos. I do not care about anything spiritual or hokey. I have my own beliefs thank you.

    Please, I am serious. I have wanted to like aikido for so long, but since actually trying it...eh.
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

    #2
    Beacuse fat guys with Pony tails needs there own martial art Duh!!!!

    Comment


      #3
      This is the wrong forum, hell the wrong website entirely to pose this question. Try one of the Aikibunny sites, or hell try the MAP Aikido forum. You're not gonna get anything remotely close to a legitimate answer on a site like this....not that the Aikibunnies will give you a good answer either....but at least they'll try ;)
      Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
      ...Willing is not enough you must do
      ~Bruce Lee

      Comment


        #4
        Give me a break. I have been here a while. There must be some aikidoka with some semi-legitamate answer. Most threads start off, "Aikido Sux"...I am curious if there is any argument why someone should start aikido. I can clearly explain why someone should start judo or a place like SBG. I wonder if there are similar arguments for aikido....

        as for aikiweb.com...i lurk there because I am too scared to self-mutilate with a razor
        There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

        Comment


          #5
          There's a few Aikido guys floating around, but most of them either cross-train or don't post :p

          Mr Jones is one, and there's another I see posting somewhat often that claims to train in Tomiki Aikido I believe.

          Personally I can't think of a reason to start Aikido, especially if you already train in a grappling art like Judo.
          Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
          ...Willing is not enough you must do
          ~Bruce Lee

          Comment


            #6
            There is no reason to do aikido for all the reasons you stated.

            However if you do get an answer it will be a variant on one of the following things:

            "Aikido can teach principles that can be transferred to judo" or "There are some techniques that you don't often see in judo that can work if you train them properly."

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by cyrijl
              What would be my motivation? Please make it clear to me why I should choose Aikido from a somewhat objective perspective. My goals are to get into shape
              It's possible.
              loose 20-25lbs in 6-8months
              Can be done.

              learn how to reasonably defend myself in an unarmed altercation in about a year
              Very improbable unless you train very hard, a lot of hours (i'd say 5 every day, like any pro) and under a SD focused instructor if you don't have a previously developed delivery system.

              meet new people without tremendouse egos
              Difficult but not impossible.

              I do not care about anything spiritual
              Stop reading Thornton writings.

              And what Virus said but in graphic format:

              Last edited by DCS; 3/23/2007 6:18pm, .

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by cyrijl
                Why should I waste my time trying to seek out and find the one real style of hard fighting aikido, when there are a myriad of other more easily accessible, more easily learned and effective styles out there?
                ...
                What would be my motivation?

                Cognitive Dissonance.
                -Jordan

                Comment


                  #9
                  In my case my first Judo teacher had been one of Kenji Tomiki's students. I figured I might as well give it a shot rather then avoid it and while not perfect I still find the style interesting even if I do not practice it regularlyat this point.
                  Last edited by Fitz; 3/23/2007 6:24pm, .

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by KempoFist
                    This is the wrong forum, hell the wrong website entirely to pose this question. Try one of the Aikibunny sites, or hell try the MAP Aikido forum. You're not gonna get anything remotely close to a legitimate answer on a site like this....not that the Aikibunnies will give you a good answer either....but at least they'll try ;)
                    What the fuck? What's with your fucking shilling for MAP lately? Are you being paid for it?

                    We've got a fuckton more active members and discussion threads here, and plenty of people who do Aikido without having sticks up their asses or being hardcore wapanese anime LARPers.

                    This is probably the only MA site were you'll get an objective, realistic answer to that question that's not drowned in a bunch of "Oh, oh, oh, O SENSEI" fappery.

                    Seriously, if you and MAP want to fucking advertise, there's a link to our rates above.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      He's getting a kick back

                      - some face time with kickchick ....if you know what I mean ;) -

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Competitive aikido? What exactly is that? How do you compete, when one guy always has to be uke?

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by Phrost
                          What the fuck? What's with your fucking shilling for MAP lately? Are you being paid for it?

                          We've got a fuckton more active members and discussion threads here, and plenty of people who do Aikido without having sticks up their asses or being hardcore wapanese anime LARPers.

                          This is probably the only MA site were you'll get an objective, realistic answer to that question that's not drowned in a bunch of "Oh, oh, oh, O SENSEI" fappery.

                          Seriously, if you and MAP want to fucking advertise, there's a link to our rates above.
                          Oh fuck this man. I get hosed on MAP for sending people to BS threads (you have any idea how many posts of mine got deleted for referencing throwdowns, or encouraging people to engage in threads of similar topics on here?) and now I get hosed on here for giving an honest answer.

                          Normally I'd agree, but look at this thread. I forgot about DCS (sorry bro) but would you see this guy getting anything but bashing of Aikido on here? I'm not saying it's justified, or that there is any redeemable quality in your average Aikido training that you can't get better elsewhere, but quite honestly this guy is trying to get water from a rock in this instance.

                          I do understand the financial issue at hand, and I didn't think about that in hindsight so I apologize for that.
                          Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                          ...Willing is not enough you must do
                          ~Bruce Lee

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Oh and my love for MAP quite honestly is the controversial threads that fly around there, whereas on here one dumb fuck comes on here talking about eyegouging from under the mount and gets hosed by 15 people. But I always ALWAYS send people back here to get the real deal. I've had a lot of PMs from people asking me about my views and how I came to them, and I always say to go ask what they want over in newbietown to get the most honest and accurate answers they'll find on the net.
                            Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
                            ...Willing is not enough you must do
                            ~Bruce Lee

                            Comment


                              #15
                              I'm actually concerned that we don't have enough idiots around to crush anymore, and we need to correct this somehow.

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X