A story from the side of the ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A story from the side of the ring

I should start this off by saying that my gym is strictly a boxing gym- the story won't make sense otherwise. Yesterday we had another boxing team come and visit our gym so that we could spar together. I was looking forward to working with some new figthers but I didn't get the chance because the oldest person they brought was 13 with no experience and still 20lbs lighter than me- not even close to a reasonable match up. No big deal, I just used the time to get some extra rounds in on the heavy bag. Keep in mind that these guys are between 10 and 13 years old. Anyway, I was watching two of the kids go at it, and the guy from my gym (who's name I don't know, it's hard for me to remember the children's names because I don't work out with them much) was getting the better of a fairly even match up. In the middle of their 3rd round my teammate landed a nice right just when his opponent was off balance. I doubt it hurt very much but it was enough to put the kid on his ass. Well, the guy from my gym never missed a beat; he just stepped right up and put on a (very effective) ground and pound display. The kid would try to get up, and my teammate would knock him right back on his ass, This happened a good three times before one of the adults could jump into the ring and grab him with a bear hug. I really don't think he meant to mean or hurtful, it's just that he's a hard nosed kid and at 11 years old he didn't understand that this fight had rules- he was just so caught up in the moment that did what came naturally. He got a lecture for it but the whole gym is going to be laughing about this for a while.

That is pretty idiotic.

And, while i love a good ass whuppin', jumping on someone when they are just expecting a boxing match makes me think "Well at least MTV's Juvies won't be going off the air for a while"
    There is no cheating, there is only jiu-jitsu.

Comment

Originally posted by cyrijl
      That is pretty idiotic.

And, while i love a good ass whuppin', jumping on someone when they are just expecting a boxing match makes me think "Well at least MTV's Juvies won't be going off the air for a while"

To put it in perspective all he did was punch his opponent while sparring with gear under the supervision of his coaches. Give me a break, you can't find me a person in the world (never mind a fighter) that never pulled a bone-head stunt when they were 10-13 years old. No one was hurt and our coaches are making sure he understands that what he did was wrong so that he won't do it again. The story is just supposed to be good for a chuckle. What's "Juvies"? I don't watch TV so I'm not familiar with the show.

Comment

A stupid show that shows kids in Juvenile detention

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
        King, and lord of sin and pride
        With some mist his wits make dark.
        He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! MOTHERFUCKER.

Comment

Originally posted by debul937
          A stupid show that shows kids in Juvenile detention

Gotcha, I figured it was something like that. I don't think he's a bad kid at all, he's just a young fighter with a lot of heart that doesn't understand yet. Hell, even the visiting coaches were laughing about it.

Comment

That would have been some funny shit to see. If you watch a lot of boxing, many of the pros do similar shit when someone goes down to a knee or something. I guess it's just human nature.

Now lovely Lucifer, in hell so stark
            King, and lord of sin and pride
            With some mist his wits make dark.
            He send thee grace to be thy guide

HE LOOKS LIKE A TINY BEAR MIXED WITH A CAT, AND THAT IS THE MEANEST ANIMAL MIXTURE EVER, BEAR FOR FUCKING STRENGTH, AND CAT FOR FUCKING MEAN!!! MOTHERFUCKER.

Comment

Exactly, after all, the whole point of the sport is to punch the other guy. Shit happens, if the other kid couldn't handle what happened yesterday than he's probaby in the wrong sport anyway.

Comment

Learning to adhere to the ruleset is something that takes time. Instinct says that if you put someone in a bad position in a fight you follow up on it. Thats the smart thing to do.
                The kid's got spunk and I think that's great.

You don't take someone who follows societal conventions of niceties and turn them into a great fighter. You take animals and you train them to follow the rules and they're the ones that make great fighters.

Without that agressive mentality one can really only go so far.

Comment

Originally posted by AnnaTrocity
                  You don't take someone who follows societal conventions of niceties and turn them into a great fighter. You take animals and you train them to follow the rules and they're the ones that make great fighters.

This is an awesome quote.

Comment

Well from the professional fights I have seen, most of the monsters don't have long careers.

Comment

Originally posted by cyrijl
                      Well from the professional fights I have seen, most of the monsters don't have long careers.

I've got to admit you've got a point; for some reason 11 year old boys never last long in the professional boxing world.

Comment

Part of cyrijl issue may be that ground and pound refers to being mounted on someone while their back is on the floor and pounding on their head. You're, I'm assuming, just talking about socking someone as they start to stand (ala RJJ in his first fight versus whatshisname).

Comment

Ground and pound (first "ground and pound mma" hit)
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMmSME9EJYc

Comment

i take ground and pound to mean full mount. if he just hit the kid while he was getting up, that is fine

Comment

Well, the guy was on the ground and he was getting pounded, but no there was no mount, it was one figher standing over the other hitting him as he was trying to get up. You think you have to have the mount for it to be considered ground and pound? What about hitting the guy from inside his guard? Is this a general consensus? I didn't think that the term was defined so strictly but my experience with MMA is only as a spectator so I might well have misunderstood.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X