Good multiple person training?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good multiple person training?

What's the standard? Is there such a thing? I'm sure we can all point out crap when we see it but what does good multiple person training look like?

I think this is not bad. Their form might be comic at times, but I'd fancy their chances training in that environment relative to most other stuff I've seen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbleleAc4s8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbleleAc4s8
    Of course, against a blade they'd need aikido... but unarmed....
    Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 2/28/2007 5:45pm, .
    You are a total Douchbag. Train more, post nevermore.
    FickleFingerOfFate -08-21-2007 08:59 AM

just die already.
    Plasma - 08-20-2007 11:45 PM

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa
    Best MA website ever!!!!!: http://www.dogjudo.co.uk/

I can't believe you just started this thread in MABS.
    You should be ashamed.
    “We are surrounded by warships and don’t have time to talk. Please pray for us.” — One Somali Pirate.

Comment

I am ashamed mate, sorry

Anyway, how do I embed the vid?

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Comment

Man, that crazy chinese monkey-style guy with the motorcycle helmet and nunchucks would fuck all those guys up.

Originally posted by kickcatcher
        Anyway, how do I embed the vid?
        Read: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=49283
        Last edited by Neildo; 2/28/2007 5:37pm, .
        :new_all_c

Comment

Comment

Ok, explain why it's gay and/or crap

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Comment

The form is comical at times?

I think a better way to do this training would be to have a spar with three or more trained people involved. These guys are just whacky.
              "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
              A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
              -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Comment

I can't see how a bunch of guys flailing around in a semi-alive situation would develop much of anything useful, honestly ... nor do I understand why anybody would spend serious time training (or even thinking about) multiple-attacker scenarios unless & until he was able to fight one-on-one at the pro level. when you're as bad as Bas Rutten, maybe you can start thinking about it for kicks--until then, why not work on mastering single attackers ... and if you're really worried about getting gang-tackled, just stay out of bad situations and/or carry a weapon?

Comment

Sprinting is excellent training for multi person self defence.

Comment

this looks like tag with gloves and more giggling than should ever come out of a room full of guys.

Comment

A random free for all like this doesn't seem like it would really do much more than encourage people to goof off.

Do it like any other competitive sport with contact, and just choose up teams. To make it interesting, make sure one team is outnumbered. Allow people to tap out if they feel that they've been clocked a few too many times, and that'll put even more pressure on the others that are still fighting.

The whole problem with going against multiple opponents in training is that the person who is outnumbered needs to escalate the intensity quite drastically to have any hope of surviving. Either that, or he just needs to be far better technically or physically. This is pretty much how it plays out for self defense as well.

By doing some sort of drill as the one in the video, but with some actual rhyme and reason to it, you could actually get something out of it (besides a beating). Typical stuff like angling off and avoiding being surrounded can help, but chances are you'll still be fighting an uphill battle agaisnt multiple opponents. Nevertheless, some of these tactics are worth practicing, and if you are smart about it (unlike those in the video), you might improve your tactics and reduce the amount of damage that you take.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno
                        By doing some sort of drill as the one in the video, but with some actual rhyme and reason to it, you could actually get something out of it (besides a beating). Typical stuff like angling off and avoiding being surrounded can help, but chances are you'll still be fighting an uphill battle agaisnt multiple opponents. Nevertheless, some of these tactics are worth practicing, and if you are smart about it (unlike those in the video), you might improve your tactics and reduce the amount of damage that you take.
                        it seems to me that no matter how intelligent the approach to multiples training, you'd need to invest substantial time to get results--if any, that is. why take significant time away from your primary training for such a dubious & speculative pursuit?

Comment

While the video was amusing, in the same way a train wreck is, I don't think it offers much except a bad example.

The conversation of what would make a good multi-person training exercise is a good one.

The people in the video, however, have nothing to contribute to said discussion.
                          If you can't laugh at yourself,
                          Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Comment

Better vid, same guys. I think this 'round' precedes the one I posted. To be honest I thought it was this clip I was posting. In general they keep it together a bit more:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neWe0CYm3Po

For what it's worth I don't think we should dwell on individual form, the fact that some of them were clowning about at times etc.

From the comments I think that the vid is of guy training for an upcoming fight (MMA?) and having a lark at the same time. I'd guess the guy in question was one of the mofe serious guys there.

But in terms of preventing the multiple attacker defense myth from building up in MAists I think this is pretty ok and a million times better than most what I've ever seen including my own training.

The guys experience being blindsided in an Alive manner even if it is why some dude doing a run-past windmill. And it exposes them to guys just swinging madly which in all honesty you see a lot in real fights but hardly ever in an MA club.

Compare if you will woith this approach to essentially the same scenario:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mYWNPa8me0

This is another I think shows the limitations of semi-contact training enviroments. I wouldn't be surprised if the 'attackers' didn't even realise how half-arsed their attacks were:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Txz6JVYp_0

Searching on "multiple attackers" on youtube bought up some interesting clips, some not as bad as I expected from their respective arts. There's a Krav one there which isn't bad, well at least not terrible.

EDIT: But Systema doesn't fail to deliver as expected. This has to be one of the worst multiple attacker drills imaginable:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLZYRBJIjIQ
                            Last edited by Fantasy Warrior; 2/28/2007 7:01pm, .

just die already.

Aikidokkkkakkakakakaaaaa

Comment

The reason I called the first clip gay besides the giggling man pile and guy twirling, twirling, twirling like a pretty ballerina is because that wasn't a multiple attacker scenario.

Multiple attackers doesn't mean 10 people playing tag, it means 4 people trying to fuck up one person.

One of the 2 times I ever got beat up I was on the receiving end of a multiple attacker situation.

People who attack on mass in groups are cowardly pieces of shit who want to feel tough but are to afraid to ever get into a 1 on 1 fight.

The best way to deal with multiple attackers is to break their will, and to do that you need to be vicious.

The only thing I can think of is to choose one person and hurt them as quickly and brutally as possible and then move to another and scare the shit out of the rest.

How many people get beat to death or seriously injured by gangs.

To me a multiple attacker situation is a potential life an death situation and if I am going to get stomped into a coma I am taking someone with me.

So if the best way is just to target 1 person at a time and take them out brutally then regular hard training will do the trick more than these BS drills

As far as multiple attackers go for aikido I always took those drills as more training your reaction to do something with out thinking because you don;t have time than a realistic multiple attacker defense.

It's Aikido's attempt at almost "alive" sparring.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X