is aikido effective THIS IS CHINESE INVASION ALARM

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is aikido effective THIS IS CHINESE INVASION ALARM

i have been looking into taking aikido for some time now but im really not sure how effective it is for real self defense.can you all give me your opinions on why you think it is effective or is not effective for real self defense on the street.

*runs for cover*

Comment

Originally posted by drummingman
      i have been looking into taking aikido for some time now but im really not sure how effective it is for real self defense.can you all give me your opinions on why you think it is effective or is not effective for real self defense on the street.

Hm, you might want to try the Search function.

Comment

Depends on what style you would do. If you do the earth loving, chi throwing ...my pinky can crush you from across the room type,then you may want to get a will prepared. But if you have any availble to you that have straight hardcore training without all the fluff, go for that. I've actually used aikido in self defense a couple of time and it worked very well.

But that doesn't mean it will work all the time. So you have to be careful in choosing, and good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by wei-chi-student
          Hm, you might want to try the Search function.
          i did and what i was looking for did not come up.

Comment

Is aikido effective?
            No.

Please close thread.

Comment

Originally posted by drummingman
              i did and what i was looking for did not come up.
              Well, unless what you were looking for was that aikido is the shizzle, I can't see how you did not come up with an answer.

I have a more nuanced opinion on aikido than you will find on Bullshido, but the consensus here is that it isn't, and in most cases I would agree.

Comment

Bravo Sigma, this is Inferno leader requesting hands free with the cluster bombs- over

Inferno leader - negative on hands free, newbietown is red flagged, repeat red flagged-over

Roger Bravo Sigma, we are pulling back to a holding pattern over YMAS - over

Inferno leader to n00b- over

Welcome to Bullshido - over

We're waiting at the outer limit - out.
                If you can't laugh at yourself,
                Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

Comment

It depends on how you look at things. I train in nihon goshin aikido and I have used it in self defence before and so has a close friend of mine. Again I would look around closly and try to find a school that teaches truth rather than this will always work no matter what and this is all you have to do idea. Trust me nothing will work ever time always and dont let anyone tell you it will and yes that includes bjj. You might also try looking into aikijujutsu.

Comment

aikido is not your best bet for self-defense. locking yourself in your house with sufficient supplies to sustain you for the rest of your natural life is probably your best bet for self-defense. and that depends on where your house is and several other factors. you might want to look into a fallout shelter.

but if you're looking to learn how to fight, you should train somewhere where they actually fight and you should be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by FickleFingerOfFate
                      Bravo Sigma, this is Inferno leader requesting hands free with the cluster bombs- over

Inferno leader - negative on hands free, newbietown is red flagged, repeat red flagged-over

Roger Bravo Sigma, we are pulling back to a holding pattern over YMAS - over

Inferno leader to n00b- over

Welcome to Bullshido - over

We're waiting at the outer limit - out.
                      I almost spilled my coffee when I read that...

To answer your question,

Aikido, 99.9% of life I'm going to say 99.9% not effective. Do Jujitsu or Judo.

Comment

Do Judo, if you want excellent grappling that still has some Japanese/martial artsy traditions. Aikido is not very effective. It is most effective as an add-on to a good foundation in basic grappling. It also has to be trained correctly, which most aikido clubs don't do. And even then it's application is limited to controlling an opponent who is not actively trying to kick your ass (i.e. they are only half heartedly resisting/attacking).

Comment

Go to style vs style in the video section, and look up Daitoryu Akido master vs. team Barbosa Japan watch video and form your own opinion. Then report back to us ASAP! Oh yeah! welcome to bullshido.

Comment

O for the love of God. If he exsist. That is not Daitoryu or aikido. That guy said he was a ki master and he is full of shit. I have never ever seen aikido or aikijujutsu do anything like that horse shit. For one he is swatting at bugs when he attacks and two if he is aikido or aikijutsu then how did anyone train him like that. No No NO NO. If that was real daitoryu then i will kill myself with a cooking spoon. Aikijujutsu is the art were jujutsu and then judo came from please do not believe that was aiki in anyway, shape or form.

Comment

Aikijujutsu is the art were jujutsu and then judo came from
                              Prove it.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X