Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Bruce Lee rates YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by phuquedup
    I consider those our greatest moments. GW is our president and we support him, and I for one like any true American will be voting for him again in 08.
    My faith in American irony is restored...
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal MAP
      No, by my logic an opinion is only valid if it can be substantiated in some way - otherwise it is random vitriol spouted by gibbons.

Hope this helps clarify
      Sorry, I didn't catch that, could you turn that my chemical romance cd down?

Comment

Originally posted by odacon
        Sorry, I didn't catch that, could you turn that my chemical romance cd down?
        Didn't realise you had it on - I was too busy playing "Cowboys From Hell"

Comment

Bruec lee is teh deadly, he did "gung fu".

Comment

For what it's worth. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqCNy71unKw

It's Dan Inosanto talking about Bruce Lee creating JKD. I like this vid clip because Dan talks about BL as a human. Not some demi god. He also tries to explain why BL came to his opinions about other MAs.

Comment

I'm not watching that.

Comment

oh, go on! You KNOW you want to hug Bruce's nuts as hard as me really!

Comment

Better gong fu than BONG fu...

NOT SAFE FOR WORK (but amusing in kinda a scary way):
                  Spoiler:

"Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
                  - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Comment

Originally posted by odacon
                    I'm not watching that.
                    Why not?

Comment

Because it features bruce lee. Of all martial artists who have commited suicide or have been hit by a bus, 87% have seen a bruce lee movie or have read some of his drunken scribblings. Coincidence? No way.

Comment

That's quite the reason to want to stay away from Bruce Lee material.

However, that vid is Inosanto explaining the process BL went through in developing his "personal style." In my eyes it actually strips BL of the Godliness that others have bestowed upon him, because all BL was doing was finding out how to make himself a better fighter with the tools and knowledge that was available to him in the 1960's

Comment

Kimura, cross-trained in boxing and Kyokushin karate, was fighting Valdemar Santana, cross-trained in Brazilian jiu-jitsu, boxing and capoeira under Vale Tudo rules in 1959, after Santana's victory by knock-out over Helio Gracie in 1958. Vale Tudo fighters weren't unaware of the virtues of cross-training before the UFCs; it's just that the Gracies were pushing the virtues of BJJ, an art unique to them, and cross-training wasn't the message they wanted to send.

Lee wasn't even looking at grappling, according to Gene Lebell, until 1966 and the set of the Green Hornet, the same year the already-accomplished Jon Bluming was proposing to Mas Oyama a form of fighting that incorporated both stand-up Kyokushin karate and judo with groundfighting. Lebell says he only worked out with Lee 10-12 times, showing him what he did, and that Lee gradually warmed to grappling's possibilities. In 1967 Lee seems to have begun grappling training with Hartsell.
                          http://web.ukonline.co.uk/ray.d8/article12.html
                          http://www.realfighting.com/0102/jonblumi.htm

We can go back much further in finding precedents in uniting striking and grappling arts, too. Bartitsu, founded by E.W. Barton-Wright in about 1898, sought to blend boxing, cane-fighting, savate and judo/jujitsu in such a way that the mastery of one art could be used against a person skilled in one of the others if needed.

He was far from the first to look at taking the best from several arts, and unlike most of those I've mentioned above, he didn't take his hybrid style into competitive fighting. Have you any evidence he ever competed under a Vale Tudo style ruleset?

Certainly, he understood the need for MMA well before most of the rest of the world, but he wasn't the first, nor has his school of thought been a primary influence on today's fighters. "The father of MMA" is merely a tag to drum up interest in MMA using Lee's fame - a fame acquired from his acting, not his fight career.

Comment

i like the eye poking and groin striking part and gosh with bruce lees speed i doubt any of you low lifes here can get close to his level even without him doing "dirty hits" and i remember some mma dude tells me i have only trained in mma for a year and kicked this "some form of martial arts" well tell you what when i was 10 and never had martial arts b4 i beated this kid that learned mma for 3 years and 6 years older than me but just punching him in the nuts

Comment

and a dirty but super effective hit to those that still dont train and get into a fight first stab in the eye and than before your fingers reach his eyes kick him as fast as possible in the nuts(so i just proved it speed is more important than strength) after that grab is legs lift them up pull them apart and stomp on his nuts a few more times =)

Comment

Anecdotal evidence = nothing.

Video evidence please, or I will take it that you have never fought before. Especially with your love of nut shots.

Also, please go choke on herpes. Thank you.

Bruce Lee was pretty cool.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X