Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Bruce Lee rates YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jkdbuck76

Nothing is sadder than BL worship. Or anyone worship, for that matter.
    Especially when you worship someone who never put it on the line. Sure he looked good, but do we know if could have taken a punch. He might have had a glass jaw.

Comment

Originally posted by sempaiman
      Especially when you worship someone who never put it on the line. Sure he looked good, but do we know if could have taken a punch. He might have had a glass jaw.
      He sparred - full contact - with his students, and was one of the first MA in the "modern" era to advocate this. Particularly with the use of modern equipment.

Have you actually READ any of his works? Or Dan Inosanto's? Or are you just BL bashing to appear trendy?

Like I said, I am a fan but I am aware of his faults. failure to "Put it on the line" was not one of them - he just did it without wanting a trophy at the end of it

Comment

Originally posted by sempaiman
        He might have had a glass jaw.
        Sounds painful... maybe he should have taken Equagesic for that...
        Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

I think its important to remember that it was a differant time when BL wrote these.

Nowadays its easy for us to get exposure to every art imaginable through the internet and TV, and its nice and easy to see what works and what doesnt (not to mention the UFC!) He had none of these. He would have had to trawl through books and propaganda, and perhaps the off chance that there was a decent teacher near him.

Considering these things i think he did a pretty good evaluation.

Comment

Considering these things i think he did a pretty good evaluation.
            I agree.

Considering this was written 40 years ago and he was pretty much the only one doin what he was doin, I'm willing to concede (grudgingly) his appraisal is acceptable.

Of course - he doesnt have a single sanctioned MMA match under his belt (NOT ONE!!), and he conveniently forgot to document ANY of his fights (WTF?? no video?!) - so its hard for me to think of him as anything but inferior scum.

Comment

Originally posted by phuquedup
              I agree.

Considering this was written 40 years ago and he was pretty much the only one doin what he was doin, I'm willing to concede (grudgingly) his appraisal is acceptable.

Of course - he doesnt have a single sanctioned MMA match under his belt (NOT ONE!!), and he conveniently forgot to document ANY of his fights (WTF?? no video?!) - so its hard for me to think of him as anything but inferior scum.
              So only MMA fights count as real fights then? Damn! So many years wasted arresting violent offenders without being in a cage.....

How careless of Bruce not to have had NOT ONE MMA fight around 30 years before they were actually in existence

Tosser

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal MAP
                So only MMA fights count as real fights then? Damn! So many years wasted arresting violent offenders without being in a cage.....

How careless of Bruce not to have had NOT ONE MMA fight around 30 years before they were actually in existence

Tosser
                He may have been attempting irony, dude...

Mind you, always better to be sure, and call them a tosser, just in case! :-)
                Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

Actually, I was sort of jokingly referring to Bruce for not fighting MMA.....

If I have misjudged phuqued I apologise...I have not had any coffee AT ALL today and I am cranky as fuck!

Comment

Bwahaha. Well, I'll grant you LEO work has 'some' merit - but just accept those years would have been better spent dry humping other guys on a gym floor.

He should have thought of that BEFORE he attempted to publish this little critique 34 years after his passing. Not my fault he didnt have the foresight to build up his credibility.

Tosser
                    here I am bringing up legitimate points and you have to resort to name calling. for shame.

If I have misjudged phuqued I apologise...I have not had any coffee AT ALL today and I am cranky as fuck!
                    the colombian blend awaits. heed its call!
                    and, no worries ;)
                    Last edited by phuquedup; 1/12/2007 10:39am, .

Comment

Oh... maybe he wasn't attempting irony...

You can forgive my confusion... often the American version of irony is quite lost on me... you know... voting G . W. Bush in... TWICE... Democrats taking control and GW still doing just as he wants...

Gandhi

Comment

You can forgive my confusion... often the American version of irony is quite lost on me... you know... voting G . W. Bush in... TWICE... Democrats taking control and GW still doing just as he wants...
                        I consider those our greatest moments. GW is our president and we support him, and I for one like any true American will be voting for him again in 08.

as for those dems, congress and senate are superfluous - a strong (decisive) executive is all we need.

Comment

I just hope I can manage to publish a book after I'm dead...and do the 'talk show' circuit about it.
                          "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
                          - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Comment

I consider those our greatest moments. GW is our president and we support him, and I for one like any true American will be voting for him again in 08.
                            Magnificent. I'll be voting for Ahnold
                            "Reason is a choice. Wishes and whims are not facts, nor are they a means to discovering them. Reason is our only way to grasping reality -- it's our basic tool of survival. We are free to evade the effort of thinking, to reject reason, but we are not free to avoid the penalty of the abyss we refuse to see."
                            - Terry Goodkind, "Faith of the Fallen"

Comment

Originally posted by sochin101
                              Oh... maybe he wasn't attempting irony...

Fuck, he has us there.
                              Go placidly amid the noise and haste,
                              and remember what peace there may be in silence.
                              As far as possible, without surrender,
                              be on good terms with all persons.
                              Speak your truth quietly and clearly;
                              and listen to others,
                              even to the dull and ignorant;
                              they too have their story.

-excerpt of the poem called "Desiderata," by Max Ehrman, 1927.

Comment

Originally posted by phuquedup

as for those dems, congress and senate are superfluous - a strong (decisive) executive is all we need.
                                I have to admit to being stumped by you phuqued!

You are either a total fucking gibbon or the American with the greatest grasp of irony I have ever encountered

I have had coffee now so I feel much better!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X