Intro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro

Whassup. I am unaffiliated with any martial art system right now but practiced Soo Bahk Do for three years; stopped five years ago. I'm a long time reader of this site. I live in the middle of nowhere, USA; there's no martial arts dojos , no gyms and it sucks. I'm hoping to move in a year or two.

I'm getting back into the martial arts after a conversion to Judaism because of the general anti-semitism in my area. Most people dont know I'm jewish cuz I dont go to a synagogue but I want to know how to fight in case someone bad finds out and "goes after me." I also miss my ol' favorite hobby .

I'm interested in bujinkan and realistic self-defense.

I am considered very eccentric by friends and family for several reasons (rap battling in public, inventing my own language, etc)

Originally posted by Dogg
    Whassup. I am unaffiliated with any martial art system right now but practiced Soo Bahk Do for three years; stopped five years ago. I'm a long time reader of this site. I live in the middle of nowhere, USA; there's no martial arts dojos , no gyms and it sucks. I'm hoping to move in a year or two.

I'm getting back into the martial arts after a conversion to Judaism because of the general anti-semitism in my area. Most people dont know I'm jewish cuz I dont go to a synagogue but I want to know how to fight in case someone bad finds out and "goes after me." I also miss my ol' favorite hobby .

I am considered very eccentric by friends and family for several reasons (rap battling in public, inventing my own language, etc)
    Hey welcome to Bullshido .

Stick to the newbietown untill you master the search funtion and some interpersonal skills .
    Last edited by BackFistMonkey; 12/30/2006 9:57pm, .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Interpersonal skills?

Comment

Have I caused offense?

Comment

Have I caused offense?
          No no no ... just an observation .

Relax . Deep breath .

I am trying to help out here . It was a simple observation based on on the info given in your original post .
          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
          BILL HICKS,
          1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
          ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

I'd love to search better but the keywords I associate with the topic never bring up what I'm looking for.

Comment

I'd love to search better but the keywords I associate with the topic never bring up what I'm looking for.
              Try searching bujinkan and/or RBSD ( reality based self defense ).
              BILL HICKS,
              1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Oh not on that- I mean in general. Like I'm looking for Body Mass Exercises but no one uses that term.

Comment

Still look up bujinkan threads. Please. It'll be an eye opener if you are actually interested in realistic self defense. Just a word of caution, most people don't know what the fuck they are talking about when speaking of Martial Arts, so don't listen to people just becuase they are normally a reliable source.
                  I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

Comment

stay away from the bujinkan. seriously.

Comment

Oh not on that- I mean in general. Like I'm looking for Body Mass Exercises but no one uses that term.
                      clicky.

Comment

Just so you know, the above two topics are mutually exclusive.

Welcome to bullshido.

Comment

Hey man I am also new to the site and having lurked on the site for a few months I've found the critisism offered by the members here very helpful, especially when I was switching styles. Though I haven't met many "bujinkan" practititioners and believe there might be some legitimate schools out there I thought I'd share an enocunter I had with a single practitioner since I don't know enough about the art to comment on it in depth, hope it helps;

Very nice guy, mediocre wrestler at best, finds out I'm taking martial arts;

Guy: Yeah, I take something too (wry smile)
                          Me: Really? What?
                          Guy: I'm a ninja.
                          Me: A ninja?
                          Guy: Yeah, we learn all these deadly kill moves; (demonstrates some punch with middle finger closed but held further than the rest) this would stop your heart from beating.
                          Me: ....
                          Guy: We also learn these things with our mind in our style.
                          Me: Like what?
                          Guy: I can do this stare and a person will get so scared they won't want to fight me, imagine I could walk around Harlem (we both live in New York) all day and Id be fine.
                          Me: I walk around Harlem now and I'm fine.
                          Guy: Yeah but with this stare people will be afriad to rob me, I'll scare em off.
                          Me: Can I see this stare?
                          Guy: (looks at me intently growling under his breath, I break out laughing) Well it didn't work on you because we're friends.

Comment

Originally posted by FUNKtastic
                            Guy: (looks at me intently growling under his breath, I break out laughing) Well it didn't work on you because we're friends.
                            You: Not any more, dumfuck, take your ninjer fuckfoolery elsewhere. Goodbye.

Comment

Damn...knew I forgot something =)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X