X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by It is Fake??
    Ha Ha Tai Chi, jing is coming next.

And I'm the "idiot."
    Heh. I was waiting for you to find this.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon

Comment

I hate to essentially repeat myself, but:

Spoiler:
      If one of the biggest justifications for your art is a story about an old man holding a bird on the palm of his hand against its will, you need a new martial art

This means you, Tai-Kido masters.
      "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
      A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
      -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Epicurus
        I hate to essentially repeat myself, but:

Spoiler:
        If one of the biggest justifications for your art is a story about an old man holding a bird on the palm of his hand against its will, you need a new martial art

This means you, Tai-Kido masters.
        I suspect many Tai Chi instructors frequently hold their birds in their hands.

Comment

Originally posted by Epicurus
          No, it's not.
          !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
            No, it's not.
            I have to agree with cullion.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake??
              I have to agree with cullion.
              You're just being agreeable because your chi's now flowing smoothly.

And that's only because you visited my thread...

Comment

One of the most obvious difference between Tai Chi and Judo, for example, is the learning curve.

Within a couple of weeks at Judo, I was doing randori, and trying to escape from side body control, getting gi-choked (mildly), and working the throws. It was all very straightforward and practical. It was obvious when it worked and when it didn't.

In the same amount of time at Tai Chi, I've learned half a form.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
                  No, it's not.
                  By "No, it's not.', I assume you mean "No, it's not a Spoiler." - that's fair enough, the spoiler thing was only a joke, I know it's common knowledge. Of course, some people still practice Tai Chi for their own perverted reasons. Different strokes for different bird-molesters.
                  "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
                  A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
                  -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Comment

Chen style. If you can find a good teacher, (i.e. someone from the Chen family village, or taught by same) then it's worth doing. Otherwise....do judo.

Comment

He's not doing it to be a great fighter, douches; he's doing it because he's on the mend.

If I were in your position, I'd be trying to develop a far better grasp of how my body works via each and every joint (even the pseudo ones), learning how to best use the framework of my skeleton for structure, practicing veery detailed coordination through multi-joint movements and learning to absolutely minimize muscualr tension in every possible position.

Comment

Originally posted by wackamole
                        Chen style. If you can find a good teacher, (i.e. someone from the Chen family village, or taught by same) then it's worth doing. Otherwise....do judo.
                        Are you serious? Did you read the earlier posts?

Comment

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
                          He's not doing it to be a great fighter, douches; he's doing it because he's on the mend.
                          Thanks, Monkey.

If I were in your position, I'd be trying to develop a far better grasp of how my body works via each and every joint (even the pseudo ones), learning how to best use the framework of my skeleton for structure, practicing veery detailed coordination through multi-joint movements and learning to absolutely minimize muscualr tension in every possible position.
                          Can I do that from my computer?

Comment

Why, I just set a young bird a-flutter with my non-mousing hand.

Comment

Originally posted by Repulsive Monkey
                              Why, I just set a young bird a-flutter with my non-mousing hand.
                              Naughty bugger.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonuzaba
                                I've heard that too.
                                But I like that story the most, in which a tai chi master has developed such softness of his hands, that a singing bird was unable to lift off and fly away from his palm.
                                The poor feathered thing didn't have enough ground to jump into flying, the tai chi master's palm reacted and sank with the bird's every attempt...
                                Tonuzaba
                                I've actually seen this in an episode of grappler baki.
                                カンフー

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X