So, I started Tai Chi...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DAYoung
    It does look interesting. Of course, I couldn't do the bows...

The closest is Kendo.
    Hmmm, there's no mention of Iai, but the Instructor is a Renshi so is more than likely to be a Dan grade in Iai as well. The Sword Arts (Kendo, Iaido and Jodo) are all governed by the same association, so instructors usually have multiple grades. You could ask if he has Iai training and if he'd be willing to offer it. Otherwise I'd say test the impact of a blow before you start training full time. If memory serves, the shoulder isn't a valid target, but is armoured in case of a missed Men strike.

Kendo will be a much harder workout than Iai, but the possibilty of contact (potentially very hard contact) may mean you decide against it with your injury.

Another altenative is Yoga, spend an hour in the company of women putting their legs behind their heads without getting in trouble from the wife....
    "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
    "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
    "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
    "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
    "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
    "More God delusions." - DAYoung
    "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Comment

Good luck DAYoung, takes balls to admit that shit here among all the hardcore killers :)

For

It's relaxing.
      There are good stretches.
      The forms are quite graceful.
      It's low impact.
      Depending on what you're looking for that could be perfect.
      I've always liked watching people practice it. Theres really something to be said for learning to be relaxed and at peace in stressfull situations.

Dude, is there an Iaido club anywhere near you?
      Yessssss, the Iaido dojo is often a few steps away from Aikido dojo's ;)
      You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Comment

I don't know but since you took Judo I have a hunch that it's from you not taking falls properly. It's strange the docots couldn't find a direct cause.
        カンフー

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jones
          I don't know but since you took Judo I have a hunch that it's from you not taking falls properly. It's strange the docots couldn't find a direct cause.
          LOLocaust.

Mr. Jones fails.
          "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
          "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
          "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
          "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
          "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
          "More God delusions." - DAYoung
          "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Comment

Originally posted by Iscariot
            Hmmm, there's no mention of Iai, but the Instructor is a Renshi so is more than likely to be a Dan grade in Iai as well. The Sword Arts (Kendo, Iaido and Jodo) are all governed by the same association, so instructors usually have multiple grades. You could ask if he has Iai training and if he'd be willing to offer it. Otherwise I'd say test the impact of a blow before you start training full time. If memory serves, the shoulder isn't a valid target, but is armoured in case of a missed Men strike.

Kendo will be a much harder workout than Iai, but the possibilty of contact (potentially very hard contact) may mean you decide against it with your injury.

Another altenative is Yoga, spend an hour in the company of women putting their legs behind their heads without getting in trouble from the wife....
            Yoga seems OK, but it doesn't even pretend to be martial (which is probably a virtue, but I need some larping).

The sword arts are definitely a possibility - but they'll have to wait until I'm fitter and healthier.
            Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
            click here to order on Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by GuiltySpark
              Good luck DAYoung, takes balls to admit that shit here among all the hardcore killers :)
              Chi-balls, my friend.

Depending on what you're looking for that could be perfect.
              I've always liked watching people practice it. Theres really something to be said for learning to be relaxed and at peace in stressfull situations.
              I was recently part of a 'philosophy and the martial arts' conference in Melbourne. The Tai Chi papers were very calm and relaxed...

Comment

So you didn't take any heavy falls before your diagnosis Dayoung?
                カンフー

Comment

I'm sure bad ukemi was a factor. As well as being too heavy. Bad luck was a factor as well, plus a little foolhardiness.

Comment

The last time I got injured I had alot of leisure time. All I did was play video games for 6 days straight. I should have read at least one book instead.
                    カンフー

Comment

I agree. And it should have been this book.

Comment

Nah. This one: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Complete-Tai.../dp/1861260334
                        !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
                          Any particular reason why...?

Comment

It explains a bit about the training methods used by TCC people who want to compete in full contact.
                            Last edited by Cullion; 12/10/2006 3:48pm, .
                            !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullion
                              It explains a bit about the training methods used by TCC people who want to compete in full contact.
                              Interesting. Not that I'll be throwing down for some years (or ever), but it's nice to see this kind of thing supported.

Ta.

Comment

We did a couple of tai chi classes when my wife was pregnant so she could keep active. I actually kind of enjoyed it - in the guilty, secret way I enjoy drinking alcopops occasionally.

My main problem was that there was too much memory work and without a context as to why a certain movement should be done a certain way it's a bit hard to put it together. eg. in BJJ you don't put your hand there or your elbow will get snapped - easy to remember, in tai chi you must make the shape of the crane just so. Why? Coz that's the way my master taught me. Groan.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X