X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is your avatar doing the macerana?

Comment

Originally posted by DAYoung
      You're as illuminating as your historical namesake.
      Why thank you.

Anyway, Tai Chi in general is probably okay, I just happen to know some extremely annoying Tai Chi people and my bitterness tends to leak out.
      "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
      A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
      -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Comment

Hmmm. I've thought about it. There might be one at the university.

All the fast over-head movements might be a problem, though (or as that only in kenjutsu).

Still, definitely a possibility. Tai Chi does have real benefits, but it certainly doesn't have a monopoly.
        There's a likelihood there being a club at your Uni, most of the newer ones over here are based out of Unis.

There are some fast movements, but they're nothing like as forceful as even the most basic body throw. Iai is a solo art, there's no contact like there is in Kendo. You'll start with a bokken but should be able to move to an Iaito fairly quickly, these are often lighter than a standard shinken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzDbDpN3xQ The Iai demonstration starts about 2:00 in to this video. That's about the level of impact you should expect. I find it more relaxing rather than physical exercise.

Just remember to go through the standard BS procedure of making sure you have a competent instructor, not some moron who's seen the Star Wars films too many times.
        "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
        "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
        "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
        "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
        "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
        "More God delusions." - DAYoung
        "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Comment

Originally posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
          Your not even trying !!

Comment

Originally posted by Iscariot
            There's a likelihood there being a club at your Uni, most of the newer ones over here are based out of Unis.

There are some fast movements, but they're nothing like as forceful as even the most basic body throw. Iai is a solo art, there's no contact like there is in Kendo. You'll start with a bokken but should be able to move to an Iaito fairly quickly, these are often lighter than a standard shinken.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtzDbDpN3xQ The Iai demonstration starts about 2:00 in to this video. That's about the level of impact you should expect. I find it more relaxing rather than physical exercise.

Just remember to go through the standard BS procedure of making sure you have a competent instructor, not some moron who's seen the Star Wars films too many times.
            maybe you could do kyudo. i figure if you spend all day not hitting the target it's probably low impact

Comment

if I say "Isariot" in my post will he put it in his signature?

Comment

maybe you could do kyudo. i figure if you spend all day not hitting the target it's probably low impact
                I don't play with bows and arrows, but isn't there a great deal of loading in the shoulder area when drawing a bow?
                "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
                "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Comment

if I say "Iscariot" in my post will he put it in his signature?
                  There are a whole three quotes in my signature that don't have "Iscariot" in them! :new_silly

Comment

I have no idea.

seriously my coach just tells me what to do and I do it. I shoot well so I figure it must work.

Comment

Originally posted by Iscariot

It does look interesting. Of course, I couldn't do the bows...

The closest is Kendo.
                      Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                      click here to order on Amazon

Comment

Originally posted by Epicurus
                        Why thank you.

Anyway, Tai Chi in general is probably okay, I just happen to know some extremely annoying Tai Chi people and my bitterness tends to leak out.
                        Fair enough. I'm sure they're annoying. As you can see, I'm not approaching it as 't3h d3adly', or even 'T3h M0st R3l4xing'. But it gets me out, moving, and it's relaxing.

And enables me to LARP LARP LARP LARP.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJu - Joe
                          Ever look into pilates?
                          No. But I think the stretches might paralyse me.

Comment

Yes.

No, wait...

Yes.

Comment

Fair enough. I'm sure they're annoying. As you can see, I'm not approaching it as 't3h d3adly', or even 'T3h M0st R3l4xing'. But it gets me out, moving, and it's relaxing.

And enables me to LARP LARP LARP LARP.
                              Yes, I know you're not taking Tai Chi so you can outbox a boxer or something. I'm injured myself ATM so I feel your pain. I just relish the chance to combine Tai Chi with profanity.
                              "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
                              A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
                              -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Comment

Originally posted by Epicurus
                                Yes, I know you're not taking Tai Chi so you can outbox a boxer or something. I'm injured myself ATM so I feel your pain.
                                It's yours for $5.
                                I just relish the chance to combine Tai Chi with profanity.
                                Understood. I feel your pain.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X