Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I started Tai Chi...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    So, I started Tai Chi...

    Yes, DAYoung has bowed his head, walked away from the glory that is Judo and Karate, and taken his battered, injured body to the Tai Chi school down the road. The instructor is nice, the other classmembers seem friendly, and it's in a pleasant garden that only has one visible asbestos sheet.

    You know, they really do talk about chi a lot. Anyway, here is a quick list of 'for' and 'against'.

    ---------------------
    For

    It's relaxing.
    There are good stretches.
    The forms are quite graceful.
    It's low impact.

    Against

    The 'chi' talk.
    The lack of simple, effective fighting techniques.
    The lack of resistance training.
    ---------------------

    Now, Judo and the other 'alive' martial arts all give you good stretches, grace, relaxation (afterwards), but aren't low impact. Herein lies the only positive contribution of Tai Chi (at least so far): it shouldn't make me more injured than I am. You might be able to train for fighting, but that certainly isn't what we're doing (and not what most schools do).

    Wish me luck.
    Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
    click here to order on Amazon


    #2
    Originally posted by DAYoung
    Yes, DAYoung has bowed his head, walked away from the glory that is Judo and Karate, and taken his battered, injured body to the Tai Chi school down the road. The instructor is nice, the other classmembers seem friendly, and it's in a pleasant garden that only has one visible asbestos sheet.

    You know, they really do talk about chi a lot. Anyway, here is a quick list of 'for' and 'against'.

    ---------------------
    For

    It's relaxing.
    There are good stretches.
    The forms are quite graceful.
    It's low impact.

    Against

    The 'chi' talk.
    The lack of simple, effective fighting techniques.
    The lack of resistance training.
    ---------------------

    Now, Judo and the other 'alive' martial arts all give you good stretches, grace, relaxation (afterwards), but aren't low impact. Herein lies the only positive contribution of Tai Chi (at least so far): it shouldn't make me more injured than I am. You might be able to train for fighting, but that certainly isn't what we're doing (and not what most schools do).

    Wish me luck.

    ummm good luck ... and errrrr ... keep us updated .
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    BILL HICKS,
    1961-1994

    "Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by DAYoung

      Now, Judo and the other 'alive' martial arts all give you good stretches, grace, relaxation (afterwards), but aren't low impact. Herein lies the only positive contribution of Tai Chi (at least so far): it shouldn't make me more injured than I am. You might be able to train for fighting, but that certainly isn't what we're doing (and not what most schools do).

      Wish me luck.
      Dude, is there an Iaido club anywhere near you?

      Iai stretches, is relaxing and is low impact, but doesn't (at least anywhere I've ever heard of) have any ridiculous talk of chi.
      "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
      "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
      "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
      "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
      "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
      "More God delusions." - DAYoung
      "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Iscariot
        Dude, is there an Iaido club anywhere near you?

        Iai stretches, is relaxing and is low impact, but doesn't (at least anywhere I've ever heard of) have any ridiculous talk of chi.
        Hmmm. I've thought about it. There might be one at the university.

        All the fast over-head movements might be a problem, though (or as that only in kenjutsu).

        Still, definitely a possibility. Tai Chi does have real benefits, but it certainly doesn't have a monopoly.
        Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
        click here to order on Amazon

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
          ummm good luck ... and errrrr ... keep us updated .
          I'll do what I can. I missed the last class because my injury flared up.

          How sad is it that even Tai Chi can hurt me...?

          Martial arts have made me weak.

          *sobs*
          Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
          click here to order on Amazon

          Comment


            #6
            What the hell did you do to yourself?

            Comment


              #7
              What exactly is wrong with you?

              Comment


                #8
                do archery

                Comment


                  #9
                  come on do it

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Learn an instrument!
                    I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

                    Comment


                      #11
                      air guitar?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        What the hell did you do to yourself?
                        What exactly is wrong with you?
                        Cervical disc protrusion. I posted about it here and here.

                        Suffice it to say that the 'ten weeks' prognosis was bullshit...
                        Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                        click here to order on Amazon

                        Comment


                          #13
                          [spolier] Tai Chi is crap [/spoiler]
                          "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
                          A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
                          -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Epicurus
                            [spolier] Tai Chi is crap [/spoiler]
                            You're as illuminating as your historical namesake.
                            Martial Arts and Philosophy: Beating and Nothingness
                            click here to order on Amazon

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by DAYoung
                              Cervical disc protrusion. I posted about it here and here.

                              Suffice it to say that the 'ten weeks' prognosis was bullshit...
                              Ever look into pilates?

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X