Looking for a good school in Toronto

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for a good school in Toronto

I searched 'toronto school' and 'good toronto school' and couldn't quickly find any posts, so here goes (if I'm in the wrong area or missed the info, yell at me and point me in the right direction):

I'll soon be moving back to Toronto for school (as in books & pencils & stuff) and I'm looking for a good MMA school (as in fists & takedowns & stuff). I have trained a little bit in the past, but likely the schools were mostly wastes of time (except maybe Judo when I was a kid, and I don't remember most of it). I'm 32 and in pretty good shape (I've trained on the crossfit program for at least a year consistently...still do heavy bag training from time to time). I want to get involved in a good school and spend a few years at least learning how to fight properly. I'm also seriously lacking in contact sparring and would like to try competition if things work out ok. I'll be living in the College/Bathurst area, but the location of the school is not a big deal, as long as it's not in Mississauga (kombatarts is out, unfortunately).

I'm open to just about anything, but I'm mainly interested in looking into MT, BJJ, sambo, submission wrestling or boxing. At the moment, my biggest interest would be a school offering both MT and BJJ in an MMA-type combination.

If anyone has info, numbers, advice, etc, I'd be grateful

thanks

Can't recommend anything specific, but I was just in Toronto in November, and there are MMA places advertising everywhere.

You'll find a number of places to check out. Hopefully, you can review one or two of them for us.
    Originally posted by pauli
    i was once told that "do" means wrecking people's shit for your own philosophical betterment.

Originally posted by melvin_peebles
    I could be mistaking dumbness for delusion. I'll have to go dig out my DSM IV. It's great to have stumbled upon this site. The rich fauna and flora of mental dysfunction that exists in the martial arts is amazing. It's like the Galapagos.

Comment

I give you the only school in Toronto with a professional MMA team:

Shah Franco Martial Arts
      3385 A Yonge Street
      Toronto, Ontario, Canada
      M4N 2M8
      Phone 1-416-256-9952

www.shahfrancomartialarts.com

We also have a smaller program at U of T.
      Originally posted by The Wastrel
      I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

Toronto BJJ?

I've been looking at Toronto BJJ too. Anyone know anything about them?
        Last edited by absolution; 12/06/2006 5:10pm, .

Comment

Its to bad your not stayin in Ottawa, we've got a whole slew of awesome schools (Sambo, Boxing, MT and BJJ) all along and around Carling.

Comment

Toronto BJJ is very good. They had Wagney Fabiano teaching there but I think he left.

www.kombatarts.com is excellent but in Mississauaga

http://www.kombatfitnessgym.com/ is an affiliate of Kombat arts and is excellent.

Where abouts are you looking?

Comment

Go to that Systema one! Systema has strikes that make you happier.
              "[Fighting for Points] is doubtless very pretty, and invariably draws applause, but preferences should always be given to blows that do some business, to good straight hits that do something toward finishing the fight.
              A man who has carefully trained for brilliant tapping play, will find himself considerably out of it in case he is called upon to do any real work."
              -A.J. Newton, Boxing.

Comment

BJJ.ca

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                X