Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cafezinho
    replied
    Don't forget your sweeps and your headbutt sweep/hip throw combo. I actually devolved into grappling today playing in class because I coudln't handle the other guy's capoeira.

Leave a comment:

• PinoyGenius
    replied
    Rodas I've seen

I do not know how many rodas you all have seen, but when I see a roda that starts turning into a cockfight, it basically devolves into the following moves:

Roundhouse kick (martelo)
    Front kick (bencao)
    Open hand slaps
    Shoving
    Occasionaly headbutts

All of these moves are common to many MAs and even to plain old roughnecking. The key tenet of Capoeira is malicia, not overpowering your opponent directly.

Leave a comment:

• cientista
    replied
    singing is nice. kinda like going to chruch but im not one for that. i think people dont realise how much they miss singing until they do it again. it can really help release pent up agression....

Leave a comment:

• Cormoran
    replied
    why dyu ask?
    I relish in the knowledge of other peoples pain. Seriously, it's just interesting to know.

this message was bought to you by woodstock kentucky straight bourbon and cola, 8%
    8%? we only got 5%, 7% and 9% here. Course, i'm not counting the morning after woodie. where you scavenge whats left of last nights woodies and mix them together. mmmmm breakfast of champions.

Leave a comment:

• alex
    replied
    heh, i remember singing being a big part of my capo training. kind of odd. maybe i should take it up again though, it defintireyl helped my dancing

this message was bought to you by woodstock kentucky straight bourbon and cola, 8%

Leave a comment:

• cientista
    replied
    someone did a vingativa on me and i kinda twisted. that was the straw... i had been training backflips a lot and it had been bothering my back... also i have anklosing spondylitis and im really prone to injury cos of that! its very boring. now my singing is geting loads better though, theres always something u can train!

why dyu ask?

Leave a comment:

• Cormoran
    replied
    cientista, how'd you get the back spasms?

Leave a comment:

• cientista
    replied
    self defense against normal people - YES they get their asses kicked! defense against other striking arts - come on and have a go (not with me please)! defense agains MMA when u cant grapple or punch - NO! thats my stance on capoeiras "effectiveness" I'll put it in my signature when I find it. ok!!!

martial arts arent all about fighting anyway. they could be called fighting arts. martial arts can emphasize ART or MARTIAL. ok fine why dont you stop bitching and just enjoy the talent of the capoeira artists on capoeira science.com theyre not fighting but MAN THEYRE GOOD.

better than u fools.

watch the following CAPOEIRA VIDEOS

1. Mestre Espirro's Showreel - 43 yrs old still spinning with horrible skill, a lving capoeira legend.
    2. Narcelio - rated as one of the most fearless capoeiristas in Brazil, double back summys on concrete, like some kind of bug.. no floor is too hard for this mans flips. lives in a hovel with no ruinning water.
    3. Queque - kid I met sellig drinks on the beach, never seen potential like it. he dreams of being a gymnast. never been in such a facility in his life and looks like he could win the olympics.

just enjoy goddamit,
    Last edited by cientista; 1/10/2007 9:53am, .

Leave a comment:

• HonkyTonkMan
    replied
    Originally posted by MacWombat
    Well if you teach yourself break dancing wrong and have to break dance you might look like an ass. If you teach yourself kickboxing wrong and try to kickbox, the consequences are a lot worse.
    Point taken. Thats why I do TKD.

Leave a comment:

• MacWombat
    replied
    Originally posted by oldman34
    Is this advice I should take seriously?

I hope so because I just ordered a copy of "Electric Boogaloo" and "Breakin' "

Well if you teach yourself break dancing wrong and have to break dance you might look like an ass. If you teach yourself kickboxing wrong and try to kickbox, the consequences are a lot worse.

Leave a comment:

• HonkyTonkMan
    replied
    This wasnt much better than a TKD tournament.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...11154475743278

Where was the contact? Granted I watched the Cap guys where I take BJJ and they are in phenomenal shape. SO are the gals. I guess thats one benefit.

Im not knocking Cap. Is it good for self defense? I mean if the guy going to use it against you or just rely on his physical conditioning and flexibility?

Leave a comment:

• alex
    replied
    <3 tony jaa but not because its got anything to do with muay thai (it doesnt)

im a sucker for beat em up movies

Leave a comment:

• cientista
    replied
    well there's certainly MORE power in those kicks. my god. but it doesnt mean theres none in the capoeira. bit of an unfair comparison "hardest kicker in the world" and all that. still I'm going back to watch it again. man he makes that dude go sideways!

do u like wathcing Tony Jaa films btw?

Leave a comment:

• HonkyTonkMan
    replied
    Originally posted by MacWombat
    So take kickboxing and buy some breakdancing DVDs.
    Is this advice I should take seriously?

I hope so because I just ordered a copy of "Electric Boogaloo" and "Breakin' "

Leave a comment:

• alex
    replied
    there was no power in those kicks, nice form though. these are powerful kicks-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=767hd3QKJ3E

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X