Standing in Shizen Hontai During Grappling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Standing in Shizen Hontai During Grappling

I usually stand in shizen hontai during BJJ class and I seem to be getting away with it. My partners tell me to assume a more defensive posture, but it feels weird when I try to do it. Should I take Judo or something to get over the weirdness?
    カンフー

Step one, it's bjj so it's called standing upright not shizen hontai, or at least learn some portugese or something.

Second, if it works for you, then its not a problem. But it's probably not the best way to stand. Try going against more advanced players and see what happens. I like to frustrate judo guys by standing like this and stiff arming them.
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

Unfortunately not one person in my BJJ school takes Judo so I can't really get a realistic perspective. At least in BJJ class. I can do some stuff and even sprawl from this position for some reason.
      カンフー

Comment

I reccomend standing like this:

Comment

Tomarrow night I pledge to start one of my sparing sessions in that stance.

Minus the swords and the outfit.
          "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

I always start randori in a stupid kungfu stance as a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jones
              I usually stand in shizen hontai during BJJ class and I seem to be getting away with it. My partners tell me to assume a more defensive posture, but it feels weird when I try to do it. Should I take Judo or something to get over the weirdness?
              Shizen Hontai is natural posture. It is a posture which allows the most mobility and reactivity. Personally I prefer this posture to Jigo Hontai (Defensive posture) as I can attack or defend equally whereas in Jigo Hontai, it is mainly for defense.

A very deep Defensive Posture is open to Kouchi Gari or Sumi Gaeshi. Two weeks ago I randori'ed with a guy who was stiff arming me in deep Defensive Posture. I ippon'ed him with Sumi Gaeshi.

GMW.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X