Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Krav maga and learning to fight like a man

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Krav maga and learning to fight like a man

    Hey,

    I was wondering if anyone could help me with this, and I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum or something- it didn't seem serious enough for the main forum. I was hoping to start a martial art of some kind, and I'm not really sure what to go for. Krav maga caught my eye at first, and I found a class near me. At first glance it doesn't look too bad. The website is here: www.kmnw.co.uk/defensive_training.htmhttp://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...ight=krav+maga

    #2
    As a beginner, you can't go wrong with boxing.

    It's a good foundation to build from.

    Comment


      #3
      I will say go with boxing. Unless krav maga were trained with full contact sparring with protective gear, it will not be very effective against a trained fighter.

      One thing you must realize is that krav is meant to be a simple, workable system used to train soldiers to fight in the shortest time possible. For that it is good. However, if you have more time, the mainstream arts will be more effective, but skills in those take time to develop.

      If you had extra cash, you can use boxing as your main training, then go sign up for krav for a month or two to learn the moves, then quit and practice with a training partner.

      Comment


        #4
        chances are high that the krav maga place is total bullshit. this may shock you, but army combative systems are not even that great (they have fucking ASSAULT RIFLES people) when they are taught to the forces, let alone civilians

        Comment


          #5
          Refer to this post about looking for a new school for a beginner:

          http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46280

          Krav Maga is referenced in section 10 subsection C.

          Comment


            #6
            So what exactly are you looking to get out of it all? i.e. what do you want from all of this? a long term interest to pursue? a short term (x months) skill builder? fitness? lots of sparring? competition?

            Krav can be good for doing certain things, but not so good others (as you'll find as you search the forums).

            Most places offer trial classes - go try it, see what you think.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Marrt
              So what exactly are you looking to get out of it all? i.e. what do you want from all of this? a long term interest to pursue? a short term (x months) skill builder? fitness? lots of sparring? competition?

              Krav can be good for doing certain things, but not so good others (as you'll find as you search the forums).

              Most places offer trial classes - go try it, see what you think.
              At the moment, it would be a short term skill builder- I want to be able to fight better than I can now as quickly as I can. Lots of sparring would be best I think. I'm not sure I want to set a definite time limit on it- if I like it, I'll stay as long as I find it useful.


              I'm a little skeptical of boxing as a fighting style being useful outside of the ring, and I'm not sure if we have a club around here anymore- that isn't really an option.

              Edit: and if I follow the advice in the link to the advice thread, can I be sure it will be a good class, or could he be teaching well meaning crap?
              Last edited by dy/dx; 10/23/2006 8:19pm, .

              Comment


                #8
                I'm a little skeptical of boxing as a fighting style being useful outside of the ring
                huh?

                anyway. i hear krav is strictly derivative.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by pauli
                  huh?
                  I mean I thought it wasn't useful if you weren't in a boxing match. Am I wrong?

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Yes, very.

                    It's been posted before but here's an example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUZUZvhvLV4
                    Last edited by MacWombat; 10/23/2006 8:35pm, .
                    I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by dy/dx
                      I mean I thought it wasn't useful if you weren't in a boxing match. Am I wrong?
                      Just out of curiousity, why do you think boxing is not effective outside of a boxing ring?

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by PPlate
                        Just out of curiousity, why do you think boxing is not effective outside of a boxing ring?
                        I'm not really sure, to be honest. Stupid preconception, I guess. I suppose it was all the rules, and the focus on punching in the head and nothing else- I stand corrected, sorry.
                        And thanks for the link, MacWombat.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by dy/dx
                          I'm not really sure, to be honest. Stupid preconception, I guess. I suppose it was all the rules, and the focus on punching in the head and nothing else- I stand corrected, sorry.
                          And thanks for the link, MacWombat.
                          No problem, it's not stupid, everyone's got to start somewhere and without experience, it's hard to tell what works and what doesn't, especially with all the impressive displays some martial arts schools put up, in comparison boxing looks boring and undramatic.

                          Boxing is very effective for the streets. Boxers hit really hard, and many people will lose heart to fight once you sock them a few hard ones in the head or liver. Boxing is also a science, you learn to hit others while keeping yourself protected. You'll learn to hit hard, take hits, good speed, timing and coordination and conditioning.

                          If you are a decent boxer, you'll be able to handle yourself pretty well in unarmed situations. Kicks are not that important in street confrontations (in my experience), although definitely a useful tool in your arsenal to have.

                          If you want to complete your training, wrestling/judo or some BJJ will help.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by dy/dx

                            I'm a little skeptical of boxing as a fighting style being useful outside of the ring
                            im going to assume this is because you have seen one too many jackie chan movies and have little real idea of what fighting is all about. its ok, most of us went through that phase. go to the boxing gym.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by PPlate
                              Boxing is very effective for the streets. Boxers hit really hard, and many people will lose heart to fight once you sock them a few hard ones in the head or liver. Boxing is also a science, you learn to hit others while keeping yourself protected. You'll learn to hit hard, take hits, good speed, timing and coordination and conditioning.
                              That sounds pretty good. Is it worth checking out the place I found at all, then?

                              Edit:
                              That's about right, Alex.
                              Last edited by dy/dx; 10/23/2006 9:15pm, .

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X