Intro now ex-Bujinkan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intro now ex-Bujinkan

This is just to intro myself. I recentlty decided to start practicing MA again now that my work situation allowed the freedom to do so. I decided to try the Bujinkan.I was in for apprx 2 years. What a mistake and waste of time. At least I didn't go for l0 years before I woke up. I had previous experience in several MA. TKD, Judo, and Shorinryu in the service. BTW the TKD was before the "sporttification" and was rough and tumble. No 6 y/o with black belts, No Dojo ballerinas dancing around with hands at their sides and No body armor. Contact was the rule rather than the exception and heavy emphasis was placed on overall conditioning. I guess thsi was the Old school prior to the McDojo appearance.

Back to my Bujinkan experience. Overly compliant Ukes, Unrealistic overly complicated techniques practiced in slo-mo. No work against a resistive opponent. No sparring and more LARPing than anything else . With a few exceptions all the Yudansha smoked. I personally don't care about a persons personal choices but found that smoking during class breaks disconcerting. There were endless Henka so I rarely saw the same technique twice and could never get a straight answer as to what was expected of me. There was no curriculm/syllabus so no one could tell me what I had to practice on to gain experience. I guess if you stay in long enough you get enlightened thru osmosis. It began to resemble an almost cult like atmosphere ala the Church of scientology . The organization leader Dr. Hatsumi was elevated to demi-god status. I initially thought I was the problem and if I stayed on I would understand what was going on. The longer I stayed and watched the more I saw the less I liked it . I guess I just wouldn't drink the KoolAid. At this point the local Judo club is looking pretty inviting. At least they practice hard and are "alive"

JD

Originally posted by Joe Doggs
    This is just to intro myself. I recentlty decided to start practicing MA again now that my work situation allowed the freedom to do so. I decided to try the Bujinkan.I was in for apprx 2 years. What a mistake and waste of time. At least I didn't go for l0 years before I woke up. I had previous experience in several MA. TKD, Judo, and Shorinryu in the service. BTW the TKD was before the "sporttification" and was rough and tumble. No 6 y/o with black belts, No Dojo ballerinas dancing around with hands at their sides and No body armor. Contact was the rule rather than the exception and heavy emphasis was placed on overall conditioning. I guess thsi was the Old school prior to the McDojo appearance.

Back to my Bujinkan experience. Overly compliant Ukes, Unrealistic overly complicated techniques practiced in slo-mo. No work against a resistive opponent. No sparring and more LARPing than anything else . With a few exceptions all the Yudansha smoked. I personally don't care about a persons personal choices but found that smoking during class breaks disconcerting. There were endless Henka so I rarely saw the same technique twice and could never get a straight answer as to what was expected of me. There was no curriculm/syllabus so no one could tell me what I had to practice on to gain experience. I guess if you stay in long enough you get enlightened thru osmosis. It began to resemble an almost cult like atmosphere ala the Church of scientology . The organization leader Dr. Hatsumi was elevated to demi-god status. I initially thought I was the problem and if I stayed on I would understand what was going on. The longer I stayed and watched the more I saw the less I liked it . I guess I just wouldn't drink the KoolAid. At this point the local Judo club is looking pretty inviting. At least they practice hard and are "alive"

JD

You just didn't understand the Bujinkan. LOL, good job on leaving.

Comment

Good move. Welcome to Bullshido. Don't make anyone hurt you.:qleft7:

Comment

You guys need to start a club.

Comment

Welcome !

Myself and others have left the Bujinkan too. Me, Virus, VikingPower, Katana, Mongo we are all ex Bujinkan. Leaving the Bujinkan to get into Kyokushin and Judo was the best decision I made.

Now, if you have a Judo club close to you then go for it. I highly reccommend Judo. It's cheap and has a high focus on athletic training and hard sparring. No working with compliant partners. People are looking to throw you or place a submission hold on you so you need to know how to deal with it. Forget the Bujinkan, take Judo. You won't regret it. I'm only kicking myself that I didn't do it sooner.
          Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

No working with compliant partners.
            Have you ever stepped in a judo dojo in your life? Uchi-komis are the standard warmup in every one I've ever seen!

To opening poster:

CONGRATS! Judo is the right choice.

Comment

That was basically the perfect first post. If you're real, good luck.
              I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

Comment

Yeah, but will judo teach you to defend against t3h d34dly samurai sword?

Huh?

--J.D.

P.S. Welcome to the forums!
                P.P.S. Two drink minimum. . . .
                Why yes, I still have sand in my vagina! It is because I am a lying cowardly child who got buttfucked by MEANIE Doctor X! I also do not know the Latin and it makes me cry!!--Phrost

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Negation
                  Have you ever stepped in a judo dojo in your life? Uchi-komis are the standard warmup in every one I've ever seen!

To opening poster:

This is how Judo works.

The instructor teaches the throw. You drill the throw (uchi-komi), you practice the throw some more AND THEN you apply it in randori. Randori, free fighting where you make it work against a resisting opponant. Something the Bujinkan does not do. Bujinkan clubs do very little sparring which is the systems biggest problem. Judo does boat loads of sparring which is why it breeds tought fighters. Understand ?
                  Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

This is how talking works. You think. Then you communicate what you think. It appears that you did not do that first part.

No working with compliant partners.

Comment

You know what I mean.

You have to learn somehow. You drill the technique first on a compliant partner to get it down cold THEN you apply it in fighting. The Bujinkan does no sparring which is why I don't like it. Case closed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blue Negation

To opening poster:

Mmm... I love the smell of pedantry in the morning.

Comment

I did think and did communicate and all I got was circular logic and reasoning. Don't try so hard, You are too aggresive etc . Be softer and more cooperative. Don't resist. What is ironic is there were at least a couple of the Yudansha who I believe would be excellent fighters in so much as they were relatively young strong and in possesion of natural athletic abilities. From my conversations with them they appear to have had extensive training in other MA so their abilities I believe are most likey based on previous training and not so much an expression of Bujinkan training. They probably would be good fighters no matter what MA they practiced. Another thing I eventually found annoying was the continual emphasis on " reshaping or changing the space" It was never explained in anyway that made sense and you were expected to take it on face value. I seriously doubt most of the Yudansha could fight their way out of the proverbial paper bag and if they missed their initial technique would be hard pressed to survive an attack from a moderately skilled opponent. On the other hand I do believe they could handle a garden variety drunk without to much problem. What makes me kind of sad is that much to the credit of the Bujinkan group that I practiced with is that most of the people I encountered were very nice and quite pleasant. I did not encounter any real "dojo jerks"

JD

Comment

Given the Bujinkan's problems, why did experienced martial artists join this school without being able to spot its problems?

Comment

I didn't get into real in-depth analysis of their previous experience. Any info I had was from observation and casual conversation with them. As far as experienced martial artists seeing what I saw I don't know why they were there. Maybe it filled some sort of psychological need who knows. I believe anyone can "drink the Koolaid" History is full of instances of otherwise intelligent capable people buying a party line

JD

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X