Introducing me to those that cares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Introducing me to those that cares

So this is my first post. I've been freequenting MAP-forum for some time, where WMA have it's own subforum, and will still be there as well.

Is WMA a term used in Bullshido, btw? It stands for Weastern Martial Arts, and could in principle cover everything from I-33(a buckler+1h.sword-manual from the 13th century)-to olympic wresteling, but it's mostly used on traditional fighting-systems from europe.

I study/train Longsword, dagger and wresteling from the Italian medieval manual Fior di Battaglia, by Fiore di Liberi, written somewhere around 1410

There are links to parts of this manual on the net: http://www.thehaca.com/Manuals/Liberi.htm

I allso do reenactment, and ptain a little with pole-axe, 1h.sword, roundshield, buckler and 1h.axe, but not as a martial art; that's more like martial sport.
    Last edited by Stolenbjorn; 10/22/2006 8:55am, .

Hi, there are a few folk on here that train in Western/European MA etc...
    Check this thread... the poster lists European MA as his style, and based on reading his posts, he has a depth of knowledge on the subject:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47160

I'm pretty sure there are also some members of ARMA on here... http://www.thearma.org/.

Oh, and if anyone calls you a LARPer, this might help you understand: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LARP

Oh, and, welcome to Bullshido!
    Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by Stolenbjorn
      So this is my first post. I've been freequenting MAP-forum for some time, where WMA have it's own subforum, and will still be there as well.

Is WMA a term used in Bullshido, btw? It stands for Weastern Martial Arts, and could in principle cover everything from I-33(a buckler+1h.sword-manual from the 13th century)-to olympic wresteling, but it's mostly used on traditional fighting-systems from europe.

I study/train Longsword, dagger and wresteling from the Italian medieval manual Fior di Battaglia, by Fiore di Liberi, written somewhere around 1410

There are links to parts of this manual on the net: http://www.thehaca.com/Manuals/Liberi.htm

I allso do reenactment, and ptain a little with pole-axe, 1h.sword, roundshield, buckler and 1h.axe, but not as a martial art; that's more like martial sport.
      There is no such thing as a martial sport. Speak that phrase again, and be handed your balls.

Comment

Why is there no such thing as a martial sport?

Comment

Originally posted by RoninPimp
          Why is there no such thing as a martial sport?
          Okay, let me put it like this then...

Rugby is a martial sport.

Judo is a martial art.

How about that?

Comment

Originally posted by black mariah
            Okay, let me put it like this then...

Rugby is a martial sport.

Judo is a martial art.

How about that?
            Martial = War.

Rugby is not a martial sport, end of discussion. Rugby is an evolution of football. Please do not use English sports in your daft analogies again.
            "Listen to Iscariot you Vicchysoise ninja-fuckers!" - kohadril
            "Are you going to rise to godhood out of the ashes of Earth? " - frumpleswift
            "I'll pray for you Iscariot." - Mas
            "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
            "Iscariot is victorious!" - Dai Tenshi
            "More God delusions." - DAYoung
            "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Comment

Why though? Rugby is a team martial art imo. And Judo is definately a sport. Please explain your logic.

Comment

Originally posted by Iscariot
                Martial = War.

Rugby is not a martial sport, end of discussion. Rugby is an evolution of football. Please do not use English sports in your daft analogies again.
                Martial = warLIKE. Not war. If you can't see where this is going, see your local physician about having a cranio-rectal extraction performed.

Why though? Rugby is a team martial art imo. And Judo is definately a sport. Please explain your logic.
                I'm not gonna bite. If you can't figure out the difference, that's your problem.

Also, I very rarely have logic. My anus is my fact finder.

Comment

Judo has it's roots in systems designed for war to do damage to other human beings. Rugby does not, it has first and foremost always been a sport. Although the team work that is taught/developed could be of benefit to soldiers, it doesn't distinguish it from another sport that also teaches the value of team work such as Volleyball.

Hurting you opponent is what Judo techinques are designed for, scoring tries are what Rigby tackles are designed for.
                  "Iscariot, check your pulse and report back. We need to know if you are in fact, not alive." - Lu Tzu
                  "Iscariot, despite our obvious doctrinal differences, I salute your exquisite bastardry, and take back half of all the bad things I ever said about you." - Zendetta

Comment

Martial = War.

-What do you think ancient warfare looked like? Add arms and armour to a Rugby scrum.

Comment

Originally posted by black mariah
                      Martial = warLIKE. Not war. If you can't see where this is going, see your local physician about having a cranio-rectal extraction performed.

I'm not gonna bite. If you can't figure out the difference, that's your problem.

Also, I very rarely have logic. My anus is my fact finder.
                      -Explain yourself or STFU.

Comment

-What do you think ancient warfare looked like? Add arms and armour to a Rugby scrum.
                        Oops, thought you were talking to me in the last post.

I still think I covered everything though, Rugby isn't meant to hurt the opposite team (you're only allowed to engage the person with the ball) whereas Judo is designed to hurt people, hence why ukemi is a basic part of the syllabus, to allow the judoka to survive and hurt the opponent in ground work (newaza? my Japanese isn't the best).

Comment

Judo has it's roots in systems designed for war to do damage to other human beings. Rugby does not, it has first and foremost always been a sport. Although the team work that is taught/developed could be of benefit to soldiers, it doesn't distinguish it from another sport that also teaches the value of team work such as Volleyball.

Hurting you opponent is what Judo techinques are designed for, scoring tries are what Rigby tackles are designed for.
                          -American Football, Rugby, Hockey, and Lacrosse are all drastically different from other non or very light contact sports. Just look at modern riot control tactics to see their application.

Comment

Oops, thought you were talking to me in the last post.

I still think I covered everything though, Rugby isn't meant to hurt the opposite team (you're only allowed to engage the person with the ball) whereas Judo is designed to hurt people, hence why ukemi is a basic part of the syllabus, to allow the judoka to survive and hurt the opponent in ground work (newaza? my Japanese isn't the best).
                            -LOL...then why so many injuries in Rugby?

Comment

All sports are sublimated forms of violence anyway.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X