Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

American Jujitsu?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Koldkok
    replied
    It also depends on the person. If someone does not want to or can't get in close to do hip throws then that is where shots come in. Some people prefer to be in close to execute a throw. We do teach numerous takedowns and let you decide what works best for you. I hope that helps.

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    Fair enough. I suppose it comes down to preference. Gi or No Gi, the body mechanics or executing hip throws and takedowns are still the same. Just the grip is different.

Leave a comment:

• TheGoodRev
    replied
    I try to throw as many passes at females as I can, does that count? Look at quite a few AJJ guys, most of those have wrestling backgrounds thus are good at leg takedowns to slipping the jab and getting close in to the waist/or swinging to the back for a dragging takedown. A lot of shoulder throws and upper body throws can be a pain to get when GI's aren't involved, although they are possible, look at Karo in UFC, judo player that adapted it for MMA.

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    I have a question for the American Ju-Jutsu crowd.

What throws do you guys work on and find practical in a MMA environment ? Are you guys dependant on the single/double leg shoot or do you go for things like Seio Nage (shoulder throw) or O Soto Gari (Major outer reap) ?

Leave a comment:

• Koldkok
    replied
    Cool, we'll met up and talk more about the details. Weds I teach but not till 8:30pm, so before that is cool.

Leave a comment:

• TheGoodRev
    replied
    Cool, I know this week is booked with training and work, next week should open up on at least wednesday (usually my day off during the week). Stupid question...I will shortly be running pro wrestling shows again, (most likely few months away) plus teaching again when I have time but I will have an assistant that will handle a lot of that, when I start running shows, you guys want to sell tickets and make some extra bank as a ticket outlet? Normal ticket prices are from 10-15 bucks, couple of bucks per ticket sold. You're making money plus getting advertising at the same time as it would be listed on the flyers, show match booklets and any ads ran.

Leave a comment:

• Koldkok
    replied
    Sounds good to me... Just PM me and we can do that....

Leave a comment:

• TheGoodRev
    replied
    Yeah that 200 plus lbs thing sucks... If you aren't Royce in a style vs style setting...you're screwed haha. Troye, we'll have to go do some lunch some time or something and BS for a bit man.

Leave a comment:

• Koldkok
    replied
    Well Good Rev I agree, I miss the old days too. But look where we are at now. I can't say that it is 100% better, but it is definately better than where AJJ was at. I am glad to see AJJ grow considering how much Mr.Crawford has put into it. I guess that I can stop waving my AJJ flag now. Neal you don't suck, just stop trying to roll with people who out weigh you by 200+ lbs.

Leave a comment:

• TheGoodRev
    replied
    I'll never take away from people that can actually make it and survive teaching martial arts. I've seen too many fail miserably trying to make it. Anyone that is successful in MA is in the minority.

Leave a comment:

• UpaLumpa
    replied
    It is true everywhere. Hell, sometmes it is hard to roll there are so many damn people now (even though now we even have our own school).

Leave a comment:

• Phrost
    replied
    I'm telling you, this is exactly what happened with MMA as a participant sport:

1. Fight Club, the movie, planted the seed.

2. "The Ultimate Fighter" reality show added the water and sunlight.

Ever since TUF1, Crawford's has been booming. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy either.

Leave a comment:

• TheGoodRev
    replied
    Haha, man from time to time we all suck. Hey Troye, good to see you again. Had a good light roll with Rob and the guys last week, didn't know if KoldKok was him or not. How's it going for you? I remember the days of rolling out mats at Moffetts or going to Mac's in SKC etc...those are the class types that I remember, big change when you step into a class where the guys can barely move around it is so crowded, haha.

Leave a comment:

• Phrost
    replied
    You know, if more AJJ people start posting here it's going to be pretty hard for me to cover up how much I suck.

At least for those people who haven't seen footage from Throwdowns and such.

Leave a comment:

• Koldkok
    replied
    I can agree with that Good Rev.... And no this is not Rob,this is Troye.... But the classes have gotten better. It works out better to have a lot of smallerclasses than two or three large ones.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X