American Boxing vs. Kickboxing/Muy Thai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

American Boxing vs. Kickboxing/Muy Thai

This is not a style vs. style thread - that's clearly ghey.

After an October Judo tournament I will have the opportunity to incorporate some boxing training into my repetoire. Basically, a former Kronk prizefighter that I know has agreed to give me some training and spar a little bit. Mostly informal stuff, but on a semi regular schedule. I have no inclination to ever fight, amatuer or otherwise, in a striking tournament of any kind (yet), but might look to expand to kickboxing or MT training for funsies in the future.

Actually training in kickboxing/muy thai is not viable at this time for various reasons, which may change in the future. However, I would like to supplement the boxing noted above with some kicks etc, as I do have some experience with TMA-style karate and basic kicking knowledge.

The question here is somewhat simple: Is there a major difference in boxing guard/footwork/strategy etc. compared to styles with kicks? Will training in traditional boxing cause bad habits if I decide in the future to expand into more "official" training in kickboxing or MT? Should I adjust any instruction to plan for defending hypothetical kicks? Other issues to watch out for? Should I even care?

The answer is probably STFU and get some training, period, but I thought I would ask the folks here, whose opinions are notoriously frank and accurate, before investing any time or $.

I found no direct answers via search, but my search-Fu is not great. Thanx in advance, for either sound advice or for blowing me out of the water for being an idiot.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSiE9Ed8jW4[/MEDIA]

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Jones

Comment

annnnnnd THAT's why kicking is useful to a martial artist as well as punching, and why hands-only can get you in trouble (though my kicks are atrocious compared to my hands ;)

Anyway, aside from not knowing how to kick, I can't tell you exactly what is wrong with the american boxer's stance and techniques. If I was him I think I'd focus on closing the gap and working some infighting.

If you want to supplement your Judo with striking, either boxing or MT is a good addition IMO. MT is probably the optimal, more well-rounded choice, but with boxing you may see results faster.

Comment

The boxer looked okay... it was just obvious he hadn't played with MT guys much, or he would have entered on a better angle. Straight-in just don't cut it.

If you box and like it, boxe francaise mixes with it seamlessly: you'll have absolutely no body mechanics issues (both are perfectly compatible with judo). If you go to MT, according to the folks on Strikeistan, you'll have to make adjustments, but it will still work. I'm leery of how well MT's footwork connects to judo, but it's because I don't know the answer.

Can anybody doing MT and judo sell him a vowel?

Comment

Last edited by Draven; 9/27/2006 6:34pm, .

Comment

Oh and AMERICAN boxing?

Please kill yourself.

Comment

Video hurt my feelings.

A good boxer with training in defending kicks would do very well against a moderately good kickboxer.

Same as how a kickboxer needs some grappling exposure to do well in MMA, etc.

How well would a kickboxer do under BOXING rules?

My vote is the video would be very similar but in reverse.

Comment

i think even in a boxing match alexey would win because arthur williams is a 40 year old over the hill fighter. any boxer who fights in k-1 is doing it because nobody will pay them shit in "american" boxing (lol fuckass) and is at their last resort. you really think any of the top boxers, getting paid millions per bout, would step into the ring for what- 50k at most?

Comment

Yeah, dude, it's just boxing, not "american" boxing.

The transition between boxing and something like muay thai is not particularly difficult to make. The stance and footwork are a bit different, but you should be able to pretty easily modify those once you get used to kickboxing. I've trained in both and I find I can transition pretty seemlessly between the two.

Comment

what a minute, I just noticed this thread is named "american" boxing? What the fuck?

Comment

Everything good is American- I thought you guys already knew this?

Anyways, I've got a little experience in Muay Thai (and its growing each week). I may not know enough of it to give you my own opinion, but allow me to reiterate what my muay thai coaches said when I asked them a similar question to what you're asking.

In talking about the basic stance, boxing may tend to have more of a "closed" stance in the sense that they're more sideways. This is because it cuts off more of the targets in a boxing match- its hard to get in to do any body shots, because less of his body is exposed.

A traditional muay thai stance (the way I've been taught anyhow) is more open and squared off and typically holds the hands higher. The wider stance is to allow a fighter to lift his leg to check incoming leg kicks- the boxers stance stated above doesnt allow that kind of mobility, which means that you'll get eaten up with leg kicks. Holding the hands higher is due to the elbows which are allowed. Its not uncommon for thai fighters to come right over the top and drop an elbow on your dome, so holding your hands higher will allow for a better defense of that than say your traditional boxing stance.

I've also noticed that muay thai fighters are more likely to stand upright, whereas boxers will take on a wide stance so as to get a further reach with the jab. Muay thai fighters also wont bob and weave, for the simple fact that a swift knee can meet you when you attempt to do so.

That being said, I havent taken a boxing class, so to speak, but the muay thai stance Im taught is very comfortable and just the same footing as you would when you're wrestling off the feet- now all I have to do is get comfortable keeping my hands up and my chin tucked =)

Comment

My apologies for using the term "American" - poor choice of terms. I was simply attempting to differentiate between things like "Chinese Boxing" and "Drunken Boxing" etc. Traditional boxing or just plain Boxing would have been better.

As mentioned, I have a Judo/wrestling and Okinawan Karate background - hence I have no idea what the correct terms are.

Thanks for the advice, and, as I mentioned, for pointing out my idiocy. I would expect no less.

Comment

chinese boxing is chinese though. boxing isnt american. americans arent clever enough to think of their own sports (zing)

like gumby said the difference isnt too huge but it is there. i can go from MT rules to boxing to MT rules again in one night (and often do cos we have so many boxers at our gym) without too much trouble. well except that i get pounded on by boxers cos punching is all they do :/

Comment

You will certainly get something from boxing. Without a doubt it's the best hand striking art out there. Now how much and what you keep depends on your own striking preference. This thread has more detail on what people took from boxing and incorporated into their own styles.
                              http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=45394

As for boxing vs MT, there's this wonderful title fight.
                              Daniel Ponce De Leon vs Sod Looknongyangtoy II
                              [MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gINY2QwaBg[/MEDIA]
                              Last edited by PirateJon; 9/28/2006 6:31am, .

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X