I'd test the waters...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd test the waters...

...but they smell like pee. Seriously. You guys are horrible. I love it.

I saw this place while doing a search for organisations to register m'school with, and after reading a fair amount of things, decided that I had finally come home. I am aware this isn't a registration site, btw. That's just how I found you weirdos.

Anyway, I don't talk about my pedigree (people call it lineage, but let's be honest. Yer dicussing yer martial breeding, with the people who 'bred' you, and most things are discovered through yer papers.), because you can fake, forge, or bribe just about anything/anyone. I am always willing to discuss my personal take on things, what my schools influences are, yadda, and I FULLY realize just how eagerly and ready many will be to slam someone who 'doesnt talk about his shizitz, yo'.

But ya know, I find myself not caring.*grin* You wanna find out, you come find me, we'll knock heads, be they philosophical, physical, or whatever form headbashing can take.

"The Scots have a martial art too ya know! It's called FUK YU!....it consists mostly of headbutts, eye gouges, and groin hits."

Anyway, sorry, I segway alot.

I am absolutly open to being reamed, and am absolutly prepared to do some reaming of my own, and fully commit myself to the cause of Bullshido.

So...HOWDY! Just call me Monk...I woulda registered that, but someone already has it. I'm the Sensei (Yes. I go by Sensei. In its 'Teacher' format), of Musashi's Bar and Grill, the first Dojo to teach Way of the Void.

We're working on a website now (Free of typos and loud angry graphics!), so more to come on that. Anything else you wanna know...ASK!

Welcome to the party :alien:
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Comment

Hey Monk, where u from?

Comment

Welcome to Bullshido .

Wear your cup outside of Newbietown ...

and ... ummm I think that's about it .
        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
        BILL HICKS,
        1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

So, appart from the Book of Five Rings, what do you teach?
          "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Comment

yeah... what do you -actually- teach, your description wasnt very, well, descriptive.

Comment

Also, silly styles in the style fields are not allowed. Just letting you know before a Mod picks on you.
              Mr Politically Correct GIJoe6186:
              Fat people disgust me in every way imaginable. I was at Freindly's with my girl tonight and saw a bunch of fat fuckers. I felt sorry for the pavement they were killing and the people who had to see them. .

Comment

What the hell is Way of the Void? Or was that a joke that flew over my head?
                I think only idiots assume that someone who trains for the ring can't make the switch to the street as soon as things change. - dweidman

Comment

Originally posted by MacWombat
                  What the hell is Way of the Void? Or was that a joke that flew over my head?
                  Look up Miyamoto Musashi
                  "This won't hurt me a bit..." - My training partner.:new_astha

Comment

Don't teach the Five Rings. If I did, I imagine the style would be called "Way of the Five Rings" or "Musashi-do", or something similar.

I do, however, teach a style where the core philosophy draws heavily from the Void scroll (hence, of course, it being called Way of the Void. Heh.) of that very same book. In my personal style of teaching, I also incorporate much of what he writes in that particular book, but my class is not a simple regurgitation of what he has written, point of fact, I out and out disagree with a lot of what he says. Much like the english language, I took what I wanted, and moved on.

Also, I don't think the 40+ (yeah, sure, not a lot. But I havnt been at it very long, and I am young yet.) people who learned the style thought it was silly. But, if you want to call it such, you go right ahead! When the site is finished, I will be more than happy to show you the pictures, videos, and all the philosophy that goes with it. Or, if you like, I would be very happy as well to email you the philosophy (on dialup so the video's and pics are a touch out of the question.) so that you can determine for yourself just how silly the style is.

Anyway, after that long breath of not-really-answering-the-questions, what I do teach is this: a martial art that incorporates instruction on person to person fighting, multiple opponent, group combat, ground fighting, grappling, knife fighting, sword based weapons, and staff based weapons. I say 'based' because I also teach how to improvise with things found randomly, such as how you can use a poolcue to represent a staff, and when it breaks, a sword, or if breaks really nicely, two kali sticks.

The concept at the heart of the style is a simple one. Train in the techniques given, drill them and practise them until they become muscle memory, cease to think of them as techniques, and when you need to, simply do what you have to to destroy your opponent. The other half is taking any technique or movement I give you, and fully making it your own. Too many dojo are cookie cutter, you do this move, followed by this move, grunt, and return to stance. Not every move works the same for every person. First day lesson is "I can teach you to kick, but you will never kick like I do." And you shouldn't try. You're not built like me. Your body doesn't operate like mine, so why should you try to do the same thing as me?

All I ask from my fellow Bullshido members is that before you write me off as a total loon, you at least read the idea's behind it.

Granted, I still expect you to write me off, but hey. At least it will be an informed write off. And from the reaming, hopefully some genuine information on how to improve will be gleaned. Another lesson taught is wisdom comes from many sources, an oldie but goodie.

Comment

What are your qualifications to teach?
                      Locu5
                      combat sports hobbyist

Comment

Broad question. But here goes....and if you want more info? Be more precise.

20 + years of martial experience in a few different arts. Not going to bother validating it with pedigree and certificates (see initial post on why.).

7 years of teaching (yep. I started damn young.).

I love teaching, and teach to do just that, teach. I'm not a money grubbing recognition whore, I'm not some idiot who got a black belt and thinks he is t3h [email protected] (I don't know all the Leet, but then, I think this is a good thing.). I am someone, however, who has personally sparred each and every one of his students bare knuckle (and most them have prior training), and let them decide whether or not I was a teacher.

All but one have thought I was.

And the one who didn't?

Is an idiot. Not because he didn't think I was a teacher, but because he was, in fact, just a blithering moron with an ego bigger than mine, and that's a trick.

Lastly? Well...it's my style. If I cannot teach it, then it isn't a style, it's just a collection of things I like to use. heh.

----------------------------------------------------------
                        Edited because I am an idiot and missed a typo.
                        Last edited by ScyberMonk; 9/10/2006 11:06am, .

Comment

Without the external validation of either a legitimate lineage (which is an ephemeral positive at best), a competition record, or a competitive record of your students, how do you quiet the little voices that say you might just be winging it well enough to fool the masses?

How often have you validated yourself against your peers? Want to come to a Throwdown?
                          Locu5
                          combat sports hobbyist

Comment

I quiet them the same way anyone who has ever taught quiets them. With the voices of my students who have used what I taught them outside the dojo, successfully.

We're still WAY too young yet for me to be comfortable putting any of my students into a tournament, though a few of them are chomping at the bit to do so. It's just difficult to find a FC tourny that doesnt require a belt system, which the Void doesn't have.

Also, as I stated, I haven't JUST had unexperienced people come in. *grin* I am not so full of myself as to think I am a badass by beating inexperienced individuals, that would be the height of bullshittery. I have had one fellah with 19 years of experience by name of Blake Hill come in, though he was the most experienced ever to join. I have tried to get various Sensei and whateverelse they use to spar with me, purely to test the system, but none will.

"No one will fight me, they all run away..." comes to mind.

I am not saying that out of bravado, or even thinking ANYONE is afraid of me. Just seems to be the way of things.

And absoLUTLY. I would LOVE to test it against someone who wanted nothing more than to feed me my ego. Hell, losing would be just as good as winning!

Know of any in the DC Metro area, or Ohio/Michigan anytime soon?
                            Last edited by ScyberMonk; 9/10/2006 12:07pm, .

Comment

Not currently, but local residents can start planning for a new one whenever they stop being lazy pussies.
                              Locu5
                              combat sports hobbyist

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X