Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rancid Pantaloons
    replied
    The hammerfist had a force of 0.8 VC. they explained that VC is a measuring unit that they use in car crash tests.. and that it ranges from 0-1.0 where 1.0 is deadly. they explained that this VC unit is used too measure the damage too the soft tissue such as the heart..

I don't know much more about it this VC unit and I fail too understand how such a simple looking punch can do any damage at all. It just didn't have any impact.

I noticed that the dummy didn't move when he hit it.
    Glen levy also said something about impact vs momentum
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mta8os5WJxk

the dummy werent pinned too the table any better than the other dummys..

o.k. So if we look at this hammerfist strike as a system.. meaning the body of the striker is the system. well.. we have the pushing force of the right foot.. his left foot is in the air at the beginning of the strike so gravity, the forward movement and the spinning of the hips + the full weight of his upper body will go behind his shoulder atleast.. but what about the chicken wing(the arm he uses too strike with) wouldn't it be awful too hit like that.. I think I would break my arm somewhere if I tried too do the hammerfist..
    It just seems so unrealistic.

Leave a comment:

• hl1978
    replied
    Originally posted by shinaisamurai
    I found this show to be pretty dissapointing.
    I agree, i had hoped they would have done much more of an examination of body mechanics, involvement of the fascia and other support structures, breath control, etc.

On the otherhand this is for entertainment and not a serious study, otherwise you would need participants of more similar builds, intellectual honesty with regards to how much power the ninja generated, etc.

Leave a comment:

• shinaisamurai
    replied
    I found this show to be pretty dissapointing.

Leave a comment:

• NunOnBreak
    replied
    Originally posted by WorldWarCheese
    In the round-robin would Obata get to use swords and Inosanto his lil' sticks?

[Edit- IMHO the Ultimate Martial Art is Yabusame. Horse + 7 foot Bow + Little Japanese Man yelling at the top of his lungs = t3h Ultimate]
    Not sure how you would test the weapons folks. Lots of pads and paint impregnated blunt weapons maybe? I was refering to those practicing empty hand methods. Of course the ninja would win whether the weapons folks were included or not.

Leave a comment:

• WorldWarCheese
    replied
    Originally posted by nunonbreak
    I watched it 2 days ago, so sue me. I think the ninja would make a good chimney sweep. The kung-fu guy should work with butterflies, he has the light touch for it. Thank you for the spinning back kick Mr. TKD, now hand the weapons to someone who knows how to use them.

I learned I should be carrying a Katana.

Very disappointed with the whole thing, all they had were measurements. They should have had a round robin elimination tournament, then take the measurements for the winner.
    In the round-robin would Obata get to use swords and Inosanto his lil' sticks?

[Edit- IMHO the Ultimate Martial Art is Yabusame. Horse + 7 foot Bow + Little Japanese Man yelling at the top of his lungs = t3h Ultimate]

Leave a comment:

• NunOnBreak
    replied
    I watched it 2 days ago, so sue me. I think the ninja would make a good chimney sweep. The kung-fu guy should work with butterflies, he has the light touch for it. Thank you for the spinning back kick Mr. TKD, now hand the weapons to someone who knows how to use them.

I learned I should be carrying a Katana.

Very disappointed with the whole thing, all they had were measurements. They should have had a round robin elimination tournament, then take the measurements for the winner.

Leave a comment:

• bricco
    replied
    Wow I can't believe you are still talking about this shit. I saw it about six months ago and it sucked so hard I had trouble breathing.

Leave a comment:

• meggaman7
    replied
    Did the narrator seriously say "Mwia" Thai?

Leave a comment:

• Stick
    replied
    The entire National Geographic Fight Science documentary is up for viewing in our own video archive forum.

Leave a comment:

• Torakaka
    replied
    Originally posted by Sirc
    Uh... that boxer dude had to weight at least 200lbs... The kung fu dude couldn't have been heavier than me. :-p
    The kung fu dude was obviously a pipsqueak, I'd say 145 was maybe even being a bit generous, but the boxer was not 200lbs.

edit: Steve Petramale (the boxer on Fight Science) fought as a light middleweight http://www.boxrec.com/boxer_display.php?boxer_id=262946

which is at 152lbs. Maybe he gained some weight, but I doubt he gained 50lbs.
    Last edited by Torakaka; 10/20/2006 4:16am, .

Leave a comment:

• Fitz
    replied
    Originally posted by LORD ASIA
    They don't twirl katanas like cheerleading batons in kumdo either. It was just plain stupid to not have Obata do the cutting instead of someone who didn't have a clue.
    Chances are Obata refused to take one of his own swords to the impact gel torso under the grounds that it would be unseamly for him to do so. I'm surprised that they didn't simply get another one of the Shinkendo practitioners to give it a go or forget the bit as that TKD guy clearly had no idea what he was doing.

Leave a comment:

• King Sleepless
    replied
    Uh... that boxer dude had to weight at least 200lbs... The kung fu dude couldn't have been heavier than me. :-p

Leave a comment:

• WorldWarCheese
    replied
    Iunno, but I'll concede anyway since it's all hypotheticaliness and such. Besides we all know Obata and his crew would 0wn with their long sticks sharpened by swords.... and swords.... those'll help too.

Leave a comment:

• Torakaka
    replied
    Originally posted by WorldWarCheese
    Boxer looked like he could be 200+ and those two brick breakers were pretty heavy dudes.:viking:
    The boxer didn't look that big to me, not even close. Maybe 170. The brick breakers don't really count since they didn't do any of the strike power testing.

Leave a comment:

• WorldWarCheese
    replied
    Originally posted by Kidspatula
    Ehh... no one on the show was 200lbs. The biggest guy there was probably the TKD guy and I doubt he was more than 180.
    Boxer looked like he could be 200+ and those two brick breakers were pretty heavy dudes.:viking:

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X