National Geographic Fight Science

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KempoFist
    Ya know I was about to write a review on this, and you guys beat me to it. Anyway, some thoughts regardless...

I almost shat myself when I saw the "deadly ninja" use his death strike on the dummy, and then they just say that it would work without any evidence.

For the record, isn't the legend, "one hit one KILL" not "one hit knockout"??? I think it's been fairly precendented that one hit can KO someone, but the one hit to the liver death strike has yet to be seen as so concrete.

Why in gods name did they test the power of different strikes with different people? If the Boxer was smaller wouldn't his strike be weaker even with superior technique?

The 3 sectional staff is the dumbest weapon ever created.

FUCKING NINJAS AND DIM MAK ARE THE DEADLIEST STRIKES? They never mentioned how improbable it is to land a perfect "nerve strike" or a heart stopping hammer fist while that boxer is punching him in the face?

Why didn't Rickson and Obata team up and kill them all?
    What exactly IS the purpose for the 3 section staff to exist?

And i'll tell ya why they didn't. Legal liabilities.

Stupid laws. They keep the gene pool from regularly cleaning itself.

Comment

As I saw teh TKD guy twirl a katana I thought: Obata should just cut this dude's head off to show how a "one hit sword kill" works x.x;;;

If someone were to cut out the XMA shit and keep Isanto/Obata-person/Rickson and the Boxing/MT and placed it on youtube that'd be good.

Comment

Almost wish I had this vid... anyone know when rerun is gonna be on?
        "Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats." H.L. Mencken

Comment

Does the Subway vs. Quizno's vs. whoever else theme in this thread sound to anyone else like the kind of martial arts discussion that would occur on Phil Elmore's site?

Comment

I missed the show and this amuses me. The TKDer punches with about 300 lbs more force than the Kung Fu guy and about 100lbs more than the Karate guy? 80lbs less than a boxer?

TKD is an art that is laughed at for not having any kind of punching ability, I'm surprized that Boxing didn't dominate more in the power department and fared better than Karate. Where there size factors or other things going on? Were all the guys using the same punch and punching motions?

Those look like unfair comparisons. Showing a regular Karate side kick vs. a TKD spinning back kick....the spin is designed to add more power to the "regular" kick. But holy fuck to the Muay Thai knee strike.

Comment

Originally posted by kungfujew
              Almost wish I had this vid... anyone know when rerun is gonna be on?
              Next Sunday.

Comment

I supose the contract has to be air tight for Obatta and the gracies even accepting to be on this show once it was evident it was going the XMA way...
                Martial Arts is like sex, if you over complicate it with exotic sounding names, theories and principles, you end up fucking yourself in the ass. -Ronin69

Comment

I promised myself I would never watch another martial arts "documentary" ever again.

But then coach emailed everybody saying he was already watching it and it was going to have Rickson representing BJJ. So, I decided to watch.

I missed the BJJ part. All I got was the drunken KF and the Ninjutsu stuff before my brain wanted me to take a knife, cut my stomach open, take out my intestines, and strangle myself with them all while on fire.

Comment

Well, their ploy worked. They got a bunch of people who knew better to pad their numbers.

I missed it and I'm glad I did. When I saw the weapons sparring (xma kata BS) and the guy saying "I feel like superman....a humble superman" I knew it was going to be shit.

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake??
                      "I feel like superman....a humble superman"
                      Bwahahahahahaha! Man, I have really got to donate to this site or something so I can get some sig space for jewels like that!

Comment

Comment

I can see where there would be a discrepancy in the kicking because they all used a different kick.

I think there was a major discrepancy in the punching partly due to the fact that the participants were not all the same size. It seemed the boxer was bigger than everyone else and the Kung Fu guy was smaller than everyone else. It would have been better if they had participants of equal size, then it would have come down to whose punching technique was getting the best results. The TKD was almost as big as the boxer and the Karate guy was kind of in between the TKD and the Kung fu guy in size.
                          安氏八极拳学生

Comment

Originally posted by Ronin.74
                            I can see where there would be a discrepancy in the kicking because they all used a different kick.

I think there was a major discrepancy in the punching partly due to the fact that the participants were not all the same size. It seemed the boxer was bigger than everyone else and the Kung Fu guy was smaller than everyone else. It would have been better if they had participants of equal size, then it would have come down to whose punching technique was getting the best results. The TKD was almost as big as the boxer and the Karate guy was kind of in between the TKD and the Kung fu guy in size.
                            Superb! So their conclusion was that bigger guys hit harder than smaller guys? Who'd've thunk it? :qleft2:

Comment

The TKD/XMA roid guy with the katana was by far the funniest part. He looked like a hyperactive 4 year-old hacking away at that gel torso with no form whatsoever. After taking about 5 attempts to actually cut it in half (something that he claimed could be done with one cut, but obviously not by him), he's sitting there staring at what looks like 40 chunks of hardened marmalade and says "any one of those strikes could have killed a man." Total comedy. I swear I heard Obata crying off set.

Comment

Im sorry I cant believe all of you ppl actually watched this. I just saw the 3min trailer and I could tell you from ten seconds in it was bullshit. You know that grapplers will never ever be considered the deadliest martial art in bullshit studies like that. Regardless of which Gracie is on that show, it doesnt give it a sense of validation. Why is it that we all know how badly this show is going to be, yet that small voice inside you wants to watch to prove that kung fu really does work...I guess were all secret optimistis at heart...

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X