Announcement

Collapse

FORUM MAINTENANCE

FORUM MAINTENANCE THIS EVENING!!! PLEASE BE AWARE THAT THE FORUMS WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE FOR A PERIOD OF TIME. JOIN US ON THE DISCORD, INSTEAD!
See more
See less

Is this BJJ school too expensive?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Is this BJJ school too expensive?

    They just opened a Relson Gracie JJ right in town. My brother and I went to a free introductory class and we both really liked it. The teacher was insightful and generally a cool guy. It has two locations, one in the Bronx and one in Tuckahoe (right next to me). At the end of the class we ask about the fees and I was surprised it was so expensive. The membership fee for the Tuckahoe location (Bronx classes included):

    $179 per mo. for 12 months + 4% tax
    $189 per mo. for 6 months + 4% tax
    $199 per mo. for Open Ending Membership + 4% tax

    I was pretty dissappointed because I really want to learn BJJ and theres no other school around.

    I just read this thread and compared to the other school's prices I think this place is a rip-off.

    What do you guys think? Too expensive? The schools website is here - Gracieny.com and their schedule

    - Thanks
    Last edited by quixote; 12/21/2006 4:26pm, .

    #2
    It depends. How much do you make and how much can you spare?

    I pay $100/mo for 3-6 classes a week.

    I wouldn't pay that much, but that's because I can't afford it.

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by quixote
      They just opened a Relson Gracie JJ right in town. My brother and I went to a free introductory class and we both really liked it. The teacher was insightful and generally a cool guy. It has two locations, one in the Bronx and one in Tuckahoe (right next to me). At the end of the class we ask about the fees and I was surprised it was so expensive. The membership fee for the Tuckahoe location (Bronx classes included):

      $179 per mo. for 12 months + 4% tax
      $189 per mo. for 6 months + 4% tax
      $199 per mo. for Open Ending Membership + 4% tax

      I was pretty dissappointed because I really want to learn BJJ and theres no other school around.

      I just read this thread and compared to the other school's prices I think this place is a rip-off.

      What do you guys think? Too expensive? The schools website is here - Gracieny.com and their schedule

      - Thanks
      I know the instructor - Mike Casey. I have trained and rolled with the guy. He is very very good and has trained with Relson himself. Those sound like unlimited training. It is cheaper of you go only for X amount of days. At least at my Relson school it is. I suggest you talk to Mike yourself. At my school I can pay $130 for unlimited. Mike Casey as been running a school for a very long time and he helped my instructor to start his own school. Also your in NY.... NY cheaper than other places... I think... *shrugs*
      This just occured to me just now and the edit button was still avail.... Relson's own school has rates for 3 or so days a week. So that is usally the generic rate plan for other Relson schools...
      Last edited by eviechu; 7/30/2006 9:07pm, .

      Comment


        #4
        ICOULD LEARN BJJ FOR 50.00 A SEMESTER AT COLLEGE,BUT I DONT NEED TO.

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by lazyartist101
          ICOULD LEARN BJJ FOR 50.00 A SEMESTER AT COLLEGE,BUT I DONT NEED TO.
          Everyone knows Aikido has the best groundwork anyway.
          Originally posted by Osiris
          Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

          Comment


            #6
            it's only too expensive if the school goes under for lack of students.

            Comment


              #7
              Renzo has a school in Manhattan and I think it's 180 for unlimited.

              Comment


                #8
                Fuckin right it's too expensive. The last BJJ school I went to wanted $67- per fortnight which is $134- per month. No way.

                If it's grappling you want, go find a wrestling or Judo club. Thats what I did.
                Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

                Comment


                  #9
                  Hannibal, it's not enough to find a Judo or wrestling club. You actually have to train there.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by quixote
                    They just opened a Relson Gracie JJ right in town. My brother and I went to a free introductory class and we both really liked it. The teacher was insightful and generally a cool guy. It has two locations, one in the Bronx and one in Tuckahoe (right next to me). At the end of the class we ask about the fees and I was surprised it was so expensive. The membership fee for the Tuckahoe location (Bronx classes included):

                    $179 per mo. for 12 months + 4% tax
                    $189 per mo. for 6 months + 4% tax
                    $199 per mo. for Open Ending Membership + 4% tax

                    I was pretty dissappointed because I really want to learn BJJ and theres no other school around.

                    I just read this thread and compared to the other school's prices I think this place is a rip-off.

                    What do you guys think? Too expensive? The schools website is here - Gracieny.com and their schedule

                    - Thanks
                    Unfortunately that price does seem very expensive, most likely playing off of the Gracie link.

                    Most fight gyms and jujitsu schools in my area run around 70-100 dollars a month for unlimited classes. Some go up to around 120, but I haven't seen many gyms as expensive as 179 a month plus tax... and that's for a 12 month plan, which I wouldn't recommend.

                    In the end it's still your call.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Do they have any dedicated standup trainers? An MMA class as well? I personally wouldn't be spending just shy of 200$ on training just one range of combat unless I was a professional fighter/had the money to seek outside training as well.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by War Phalange
                        Hannibal, it's not enough to find a Judo or wrestling club. You actually have to train there.
                        Oh lord. Hannibal again takes the facial and keeps coming back for more.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by lazyartist101
                          ICOULD LEARN BJJ FOR 50.00 A SEMESTER AT COLLEGE,BUT I DONT NEED TO.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by War Phalange
                            It depends. How much do you make and how much can you spare?

                            I pay $100/mo for 3-6 classes a week.

                            I wouldn't pay that much, but that's because I can't afford it.
                            I can afford it but I don't wanna feel like I'm throwing my money away.

                            Originally posted by eviechu
                            I know the instructor - Mike Casey. I have trained and rolled with the guy. He is very very good and has trained with Relson himself. Those sound like unlimited training. It is cheaper of you go only for X amount of days. At least at my Relson school it is. I suggest you talk to Mike yourself. At my school I can pay $130 for unlimited. Mike Casey as been running a school for a very long time and he helped my instructor to start his own school. Also your in NY.... NY cheaper than other places... I think... *shrugs*
                            This just occured to me just now and the edit button was still avail.... Relson's own school has rates for 3 or so days a week. So that is usally the generic rate plan for other Relson schools...
                            Hmmm... I'm gonna call him and see if I could go for like 3 days a week. Thanks a bunch guys and gal.

                            Comment


                              #15

                              Comment

                              Collapse

                              Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                              Working...
                              X