No announcement yet.

VERY confused MA NooB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

first of all i want to say that dagorilla shouldnt be speaking shit if he doesnt know about other ppl, english is not my main lenguage and my english is very good compared to the ignorant ppl on south america and im miles away from most ppl ma age speaking english, i would like to see u writing a spanish post, so i can tell u you are a retard.
    leaving that aside some of u guys really did hit the spot, i am very hesitant about this and i really like the enviroment and the teacher, tough i dotn want to waste my time, i live in chile south america (santiago) so if u guys could help me find something good to practise that would be nice since there isnt that much of a selection
    i found something called free style kickboxing, and there is plenty of hapkido schools around me too, i really am confused and im probably leaving kung fu as u guys say it would be for the best

i would apreciate that ppl like dagorilla and omega can stay away from this thread if they arent making helpfull comments and just are going to flame at ppl they dont know like they were some helpless nerds with no life (hopefully they arent, not meant to make an offense by sayng that)

Comment

Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
      No worries. I wasn't offended at all.

If I started taking things said on an internet forum seriously I'd be committing suicide by the end of the week.

I'm curious, why are you not taking a martial art at the moment? Busy schedule or something?

Comment

yah

i might take on muay thai (free style boxing) , i dont really have any "friends" in there since everyone is older than me lol, ur right i have to move on, i already payd for the month so i guess for the next 2 weeks ill go and ill figure out what art to do with ur help guys

Comment

Really - you don't get to pick and choose who reads and responds to your thread. Just take the constructive advice to heart, and take the attitude with a grain of salt. To gain anything from your stay at Bullshido, you have to read with your own discretion. There is a lot of dissent here, and you can't expect to censor anybody. Just take what's useful to you, and ignore the rest.

You're not a native speaker, so you get some slack on language skills. Your english is good anyway, so you really don't have much to worry about.

Using capital letters and punctuation will help close the language barrier and keep you from taking criticism for it. It's not that people care, it's just easier to read posts that way.

At this point, I think you have all the advice you need. Go to the kickboxing schools, try some classes, and remember to keep a careful eye out for Alive and Dead training. You have the guidelines for picking a good school with quality instruction, now you just have to go try schools until you find one that fits the bill. Good luck.
          -Jordan

Comment

Originally posted by WooTy
            leaving that aside some of u guys really did hit the spot, i am very hesitant about this and i really like the enviroment and the teacher, tough i dotn want to waste my time, i live in chile south america (santiago) so if u guys could help me find something good to practise that would be nice since there isnt that much of a selection
            i found something called free style kickboxing, and there is plenty of hapkido schools around me too, i really am confused and im probably leaving kung fu as u guys say it would be for the best
            Go to as many places as you can and take a free lesson or sometimes even a week or months worth of free lessons . Look for a school that spars hard and often .

Have you been told to die in a fire or use the search button recently ?
            I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
            BILL HICKS,
            1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
            ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

yah, can any hapkido practisioner tell me what hapkido is about tough? wont hurt to get some other opinions

Comment

yah, can any hapkido practisioner tell me what hapkido is about tough? wont hurt to get some other opinions
                As a green belt I can tell you most of the Hapkido schools will suck . I don't know how things run down in your neck of the woods ...

oh wait I see http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=44667
                I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                BILL HICKS,
                1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Hapikido = Korean Copy of Aikido.

Yeah you heard me Ders!

Comment

yes, i been reading a lot here and they say the schools suck, ill just stop asking and join muay thai already lol thx for the help guys

Comment

Really, WooTy...

It's time to go try out classes. Don't overplan this. As long as you show up at a school that fulfills the requirements you've been given, you can't go wrong.

The secret to getting ahead is getting started. You're going to have to try out more than 1 school anyway. Just go try a few schools so that you have some basis for comparison.

Going to a school and finding out that it's not right for you is productive - just start experimenting or you'll over-analyze this to death.

edit:: You took my advice just before I posted it - good for you. Best of luck - hope you find something worthwhile down there.
                      -Jordan

Comment

i heard someone talking about BJJ is that the same as gracie ju jitsu? i see some videos and isnt it just like sticking to the guy and choking him and doing locks? why does everyone like it so much is it that good?
                        by watching the videos i really dont get it

Comment

cause you a probably dumb

Comment

i heard someone talking about BJJ is that the same as gracie ju jitsu? i see some videos and isnt it just like sticking to the guy and choking him and doing locks? why does everyone like it so much is it that good?
                            by watching the videos i really dont get it

Just go and search in your area . Go ask and train in person . I promise bruises will fade and as long as you tap earler and tap often you should be fine .

If you are in a stand up school and get hit hard and don't want to fight any more just say so loudly and cower .

Out side of that ... you're good to go ! Enjoy your journey into the wonderfull world of Martial Arts .
                            BILL HICKS,
                            1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Yes, BJJ = GJJ

Yes, it's about grappling, choking, and joint locks.

And it's hard to appreciate exactly what's going on by watchin it. There are a lot of forces at work that you can't just see by looking at 2 people grapple. You really have to feel it to understand what all the hype is about.

In many cases, it is extremely effective because the goal is to put your opponent in a position where he cannot easily attack you while you are in a position to easily attack him (while on the ground). Another reason that it is known to be so effective is that without studying BJJ (or another similar grappling art), the defenses to the techniques are not obvious. To defend a punch, you can either get out of the way or block it. To defend an armbar, you have to follow a set of non-intuitive instructions.

The first time you are grappled by a BJJ-er, you will be very confused and disoriented, then you will tap out in submission, and then you will understand a little better.
                              -Jordan

Comment

just wondering, im curious but isnt anyone going to "defend" kung fu? lol or everyone thinks muay thai is better?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X