VERY confused MA NooB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WooTy
    first of all i never recalled sayng im an expert at martial arts, i even sayd im a newb to start with, and omega wtf is wrong with u, asking questions is stupid? who are u to call someone stupid, if i came to an online forum its to ask anything im concerned of stupid or not, if ur not gonna help and ur just going to be a dumbass just dont reply and stfu

im 17 and i been training for 2 month, but for what i can see people that have been training for about 2 years arent exactly good, just probably decent
    the teacher is preety good tough and we do a lot of sparring every class,
    in the same gym i got kickboxing classes tough, is kickboxing any good? is it only like punches and kicks or do they teach u some grabs and locks too? what would be more usefull for self defense?

omega dont post i dont care about ur opinion
    thx everyone for tryng to help
    Another sad example of how education systems are failing... 17 and can't write/post for shit. Minus Rep.

-dagorilla

Comment

lol how come? can u give some reasons or facts please
      Shaolin Kung Fu died a long time ago.

Comment

Originally posted by daGorilla
        Another sad example of how education systems are failing... 17 and can't write/post for shit. Minus Rep.

-dagorilla
        Depends. If english is his second language, he is miles ahead of the American education system.

Comment

Originally posted by El Macho
          WTF? You are 17? Shit, I'm old.

Wooty, where on Earth are you in South America? I understand that in Peru there is an small, nascent yet active MMA/Vale Tudo scene (they call it "Vale Todo") and that there's been a close exchange between Peruvian and Cuban wrestlers. Moreover, Peru, Brazil and Colombia have some pretty good Judokas (and, of course, Brazil have Vale Tudo and BJJ.)
          Don't feel old. Me and my brother are the youngest trainees at our gym. The average student is much much older.

It's not a matter of you being old, but me being a young whelp.

Comment

Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
            It's not a matter of you being old, but me being a young whelp.
            Holy shit, you're infringing on older folks right to beat youth with sly treachery. Stop that, stop that right now!

What will the old members have to bitch about if more teenagers post as smartly as you do?

Oh well, there's always Backdraft to carry the "I'm a stupid teenager' torch.
            Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

I guess I could always start listening to 50 cent and start wearing Abercrombie and Fitch...

Comment

TehDeadlyDimMak, you know I was joking, right? Just want to clarify that, so you don't start hating me.

jnp: Intellectually challenged juvenile. We prefer that term.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdraft
                  TehDeadlyDimMak, you know I was joking, right? Just want to clarify that, so you don't start hating me.

Don't take anything on the intarweb too seriously kid. I don't.

Your second statement causes me to believe there might be hope for you yet.
                  Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

yes lol, im only 17 im not a 45 year old out of shape fatso or something,
                    Well, I'm only 35, "not a 45 year old out of shape fatso", but I still agree that you're wasting your time.

If your Kung Fu school has San Shou, try that, if not, find a Muay Thai class somewhere. You've mentioned "kickboxing" but, unless I missed it, you didn't specify what kind. MT, some kind of American kickboxing, TKD (now with added Boxing Flavor!), or what?

kick boxing sounds really interesting but im just average height and weight (1.70 and 68 kilograms aprox)
                    im afraid ill have to spend 2 years on shaolin kung fu to be the same level of fighting i would have in a more modern way of fighting as kickboxing
                    As everyone else here has already said, two years or twenty years wouldn't make a difference. If what you're learning is INEFFECTIVE, it simply will not become more effective by practicing longer. You can practice country line dancing, finger painting, and basket weaving for the next 2 years, and none of them will make you a better fighter either. Go fight.

just like someone just sayd a few post before
                    "kickboxing would shit all over your shaolin bullshit. go there"
                    what do u guys think
                    EVERYONE agrees. You have your answer several times over. Quit Shaolin Kung Fu and take up grappling or kickboxing if you want to learn how to fight.

Tell us where in South America and someone might be able to help you find something. If you say Brazil, though, be prepared for some good-natured mockery (you would have to have lived under a rock for your entire life not to know any place to train there).
                    Dave

Originally posted by jnp
                    That is exactly what I meant sdave. You are dead on, as usual.

Comment

Apart from that (if I may add something into this discussion), kickboxing will probably have more "physical drills", being a competition-sport and all, instead of KF.

If I were you, I'd go for the kickboxing to become physical fit and be able to spar/take a punch or kick and give one, too.
                      You can always "later" go "soft" and go with a less "hard" (in sparring) MA.

And, there is also a lot of technique and tradition in MT. It's not just a simple "hack and slash" game...

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
                        I guess I could always start listening to 50 cent and start wearing Abercrombie and Fitch...
                        Noooooo, listen to Judas Priest or MotorHead instead.
                        Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Originally posted by jnp
                          Don't take anything on the intarweb too seriously kid. I don't.

Your second statement causes me to believe there might be hope for you yet.

Thank you.:happy7:

Comment

Originally posted by El Macho
                            Noooooo, listen to Judas Priest or MotorHead instead.
                            'Nuff said.

Comment

Originally posted by Backdraft

No worries. I wasn't offended at all.

If I started taking things said on an internet forum seriously I'd be committing suicide by the end of the week.

I'm curious, why are you not taking a martial art at the moment? Busy schedule or something?

Comment

It's not in style yet. Styleographers predicter another fad of MA to hit in a few months, so he'll sign up then.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X