• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do kickboxing instead. It's better.

Comment

lol how come? can u give some reasons or facts please

Comment

Kickboxing has way more sparring, and places more emphasis on performing against resistant opponents. It also contains more "Aliveness", and has made it's proofs in the ring more then once. Kickboxing is also free of TMA customs such as bowing and board breaking, leaving more time to actually train.
        It's very easy to see progress in kickboxing, since it's measured on your ability to fight against people that are out to beat you, and the brutal honesty of sparring and competition will let you know how good you are, straight up.
        Further, the ratio of proffesional fighters stating that they have trained in kickboxing/use kickboxing in their current training greatly outweighs the number of Kung-fu practioners.

Comment

thats some good reasoning but waht about what was said beofre, do u think a kung fu fighter will "outrun" a kickboxing fighter in the long run?
          might be better at start but dont u kinda get "stuck" with the same techniques over and over?

Comment

Originally posted by WooTy
            that was like just the answer i was looking for, if i cloned miself who would win, it seems what i tought was right and the brutal loses versus the trained expert with lot of techniques
            so krav maga,full contact, muay thai = get owned long term?
            no. do not make the mistake of thinking less techniques= limited. this is not the case especially in muay thai where they have simply cut out the shit that doesnt work. in a (good) muay thai class you will learn the BEST ways to punch, kick, elbow, knee. if there were better ways dont you think they would be used considering they are fighting for prize money? no. they simply take the techniques that WORK and train them. your current school does not. leave.

fear the man who has practiced one technique a thousand times over the man who hs practiced a thousand techniques once

Comment

Originally posted by pauli
              at the risk of incurring the wrath of the actual kickboxers who are going to read this:

the basic idea of kickboxing is to take the most practical subset of all striking techniques, and then come up with bizarre rule sets that never let you use the same ones match to match.

yes, kickboxing is more practical. it's a ring sport, and as such has little patience for things that don't work.

if you were to clone yourself and have one of you do kung fu while the other kickboxes, in two years the kickboxer is probably going to feed the kung fu clone his own face in a fight. otoh, in 70 years, the kung fu guy will still be doing kung fu, while the kickboxer will probably have been long retired.
              then what do u think about that? it kinda makes sense, i apreciate u replyng to me ur message are really helping, in fact if we could talk over msn or something it would be much easier and would help much more

Comment

NO EMAIL ANYMORE STALKERS
                Last edited by alex; 7/31/2006 8:54pm, .

Comment

then what do u think about that? it kinda makes sense, i apreciate u replyng to me ur message are really helping, in fact if we could talk over msn or something it would be much easier and would help much more
                  If you wanted to keep you kung fu, why would you ask us for advice?
                  Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

I think there might be some type of wrestling-style down in South America.

You should keep looking.

Comment

thats some good reasoning but waht about what was said beofre, do u think a kung fu fighter will "outrun" a kickboxing fighter in the long run?
                      might be better at start but dont u kinda get "stuck" with the same techniques over and over?
                      Dude, that line of reasoning is retarded, no offense.

Think of it, if it takes 20 years to take a technique and use it effectively, that technique is inefficient. If you are taking a striking arts, it's with the purpose of become efficient with it over time. Efficiency is not just about being able to do something, but about the amount of resources one has to devote to achieve that level of skills. In this case, the resource is time.

The idea a KF practitioner will outrun a kickboxer over time even though the kickboxer can kickbox the shit out of the KF practioner within a short time of training is illogical. I don't know shit about kickboxing or kung fu, and yet, I can pretty sure say that such an assumption is not based in human physical or mental development.

Make up your mind in what you want. Do you want to be proficient in the most efficient way possible (in this case, not wasting your time), or do you want to sacrifice your time and devote years, decades of training to become the KF master that can kick kickboxers' asses... assuming that premise is actually true?

There are good kung fu schools and practitioners out there (Omega is one). However, I they don't sell that kind of bullshit.

I still believe 2 to 3 minutes for sparring is not enough. There is a Kung-Fu school near my job that has a San Shou program and they have a 1.5 hour sparring session. That speaks volumes.

You got plenty of info dude. Time to analyze it and make your own conclusions. People in this board are not going to perform the thinking process for you.

You seem pretty hesitant even though deep down you know you would be better switching to the kickboxing class. Maybe you have friends there, and even the environment is nice. Plus you have devoted time to it already.

But you have to MAKE UP YOUR OWN MIND in what you want. Then take the facts you have been presented and make a decision of what path to take to achieve what you desire.

Shit, fuck, that sounded deep.
                      Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

To put it in simple terms. Almost all the time it turns out like this...

2000 years of Shaolin Kung Fu < 5 years full contact kickboxing.

I speak as another 17 year old who's trained in both traditional Chinese martial arts and full contact kickboxing.

Comment

oh yeah and just so everyone is clear I'm the best teenager on this forum kaay?

Comment

No your not. You have acne.
                            Wooty, consider what's been said before. Kickboxing has a more limited number of techniques as compared to Kung-fu, yes. Why? Because kickboxing kept the techniques that worked.

Comment

Acne? Not at all.

Still superior.

Comment

Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
                                To put it in simple terms. Almost all the time it turns out like this...

2000 years of Shaolin Kung Fu < 5 years full contact kickboxing.

I speak as another 17 year old who's trained in both traditional Chinese martial arts and full contact kickboxing.
                                WTF? You are 17? Shit, I'm old.

Wooty, where on Earth are you in South America? I understand that in Peru there is an small, nascent yet active MMA/Vale Tudo scene (they call it "Vale Todo") and that there's been a close exchange between Peruvian and Cuban wrestlers. Moreover, Peru, Brazil and Colombia have some pretty good Judokas (and, of course, Brazil have Vale Tudo and BJJ.)
                                Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X