No announcement yet.

VERY confused MA NooB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so Wooty, are you some 90lb little dweeb that gets beat on by all the highschool bullies or something? If that's the case, take up BJJ. If not, stop whining about self defense and take up kickboxing or something you'd enjoy.
    Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Kidspatula
      so Wooty, are you some 90lb little dweeb that gets beat on by all the highschool bullies or something? If that's the case, take up BJJ. If not, stop whining about self defense and take up kickboxing or something you'd enjoy.

haha - that's good advice too.

I'm little, I need teh grapple.

If I weren't, and I actually had a decent reach, I'd train kickboxing too. Hell, if I had the time now I'd train it also.

edit:: that's a complete lie - I'm too addicted to bjj and my dealer wouldn't approve.
      -Jordan

Comment

PRICELESS!!!!

Originally posted by WooTy
        omega dont post i dont care about ur opinion
        thx everyone for tryng to help
        Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

well I guess my point is, BJJ would be more than sufficient to take care of a school yard bully and would be far less likely to get you arrested or whatever it is they do to kids that get in fights in highschool these days. If he's not getting beat up by school yard bullies he needs to stop pretending like he needs to defend himself against some imaginary bad guys that are gonna get into a Double Dragon style street fight with him.
          Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Wooty, what you should be looking for is places that train with aliveness.
            This is Aliveness:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OplajPk-K6U

Comment

Ok ya - I see what you mean Kidspatula.

Training MA because you love it is the best reason, not because you're looking for an opportunity to have a good ol' fashioned kung fu showdown.

On the other hand, choking my fraternity brothers has been a ton of fun. They're all bigger than me, and nothing says "Hey pledge, put some beer in that cup" like a RNC.

Also, nothing says, "Hey partygoers, we provide you with free beer and live music, the least you could do is not pee on my door," like a RNC.

Actually, the RNC says a lot of things to a lot of people. It's kind of like the Rosetta Stone of being an asshole.
              Last edited by theraydiator; 7/31/2006 3:41pm, .
              -Jordan

Comment

yes lol, im only 17 im not a 45 year old out of shape fatso or something, i dont have a bully really my life is quite peacefull, i just think it might be a waste of time to study A, if i can get better with B, time is precious and the classes cost money too, so i prefer to start on B by getting good advice,
                i dont know if my class has a lot of aliveness but we do fight almost every class for the last 2-3 minutes, of course whit limitations like not using elbows to block kicks and no groin kicks (its shaolin kung fu after all), kick boxing sounds really interesting but im just average height and weight (1.70 and 68 kilograms aprox)
                im afraid ill have to spend 2 years on shaolin kung fu to be the same level of fighting i would have in a more modern way of fighting as kickboxing, just like someone just sayd a few post before
                "kickboxing would shit all over your shaolin bullshit. go there"
                what do u guys think

Comment

im just average height and weight (1.70 and 68 kilograms aprox)
                  Just to help out, assuming he meant 1.70 meters, he's roughly 5'7" and 150 pounds.
                  Last edited by Robstafarian; 7/31/2006 5:59pm, .
                  Originally posted by Snake Plissken
                  cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
                  Originally posted by Kiko
                  But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
                  Originally posted by Robstafarian
                  Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
                  1. Your argument is bullshit.
                  2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
                  3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Comment

two points:

a: you've got kickboxing available to you, apparently under similar conditions to your kung fu. go give it a try - you should be able to get at LEAST one lesson free. if you're training to fight, kickboxing is pretty much certain to be more useful to you than kung fu. if you're into the traditional side of things more than the fighting (which is fine, even around here, as long as you don't pretend otherwise), stay where you are.

b: you're 17. go wrestle.

oh, and at 170cm, 68kg is right where you should be. the fabulous thing about every fighting sport i can think of (short of, say, old school vale tudo) is that they've got weight classes. you're a lightweight in most systems, and you'd be paired with people very close to you size wise, be it in boxing, muay thai, kickboxing, wrestling, bjj, mma, or sumo.
                    Last edited by pauli; 7/31/2006 6:13pm, .

Comment

yes

kickboxing is exactly in the same gym as kung fu, im from south america so there isnt any wrestling around here,
                      but does it mean that long term (2 years for me) i will be better if i stick to kung fu than kickboxing? i mean is kickboxing just the punch and kick or there is something else into it? i mean kung fu has a lot of techniques and stuff to learn, so if i practise kung fu for the same time as kickboxing i will be better?

not really into fighting just defending miself im not bloodthirsty or something but kickboxing "seems" more practical

Comment

at the risk of incurring the wrath of the actual kickboxers who are going to read this:

the basic idea of kickboxing is to take the most practical subset of all striking techniques, and then come up with bizarre rule sets that never let you use the same ones match to match.

yes, kickboxing is more practical. it's a ring sport, and as such has little patience for things that don't work.

if you were to clone yourself and have one of you do kung fu while the other kickboxes, in two years the kickboxer is probably going to feed the kung fu clone his own face in a fight. otoh, in 70 years, the kung fu guy will still be doing kung fu, while the kickboxer will probably have been long retired.

Comment

wow

that was like just the answer i was looking for, if i cloned miself who would win, it seems what i tought was right and the brutal loses versus the trained expert with lot of techniques
                          so krav maga,full contact, muay thai = get owned long term?

Comment

yes lol, im only 17 im not a 45 year old out of shape fatso or something, i dont have a bully really my life is quite peacefull, i just think it might be a waste of time to study A, if i can get better with B, time is precious and the classes cost money too, so i prefer to start on B by getting good advice,
                            i dont know if my class has a lot of aliveness but we do fight almost every class for the last 2-3 minutes, of course whit limitations like not using elbows to block kicks and no groin kicks (its shaolin kung fu after all), kick boxing sounds really interesting but im just average height and weight (1.70 and 68 kilograms aprox)
                            im afraid ill have to spend 2 years on shaolin kung fu to be the same level of fighting i would have in a more modern way of fighting as kickboxing, just like someone just sayd a few post before
                            "kickboxing would shit all over your shaolin bullshit. go there"
                            what do u guys think
                            Well, kick to the groins is not allowed almost anywhere - after all, these are your class partners which you don't necessarily hate. And just because a class doesn't teach elbows, that doesn't mean it's bullshit. Boxing doesn't has kicks or elbows, and yet, it is certainly not bullshit. Judo or sport BJJ doesn't have strikes at all, and they aren't bullshit either.

Whether an art is bullshit or not is not dependent on what tools in the human body it uses.

By aliveness, it means that your sparring partner is not compliant; he is resisting you and fighting you. Backdraft already gave you the URL for a vidclip for you to study. Just go to youtube and search for "SBG aliveness". That clip will explain you what aliveness is and isn't.

If your training does not match what the clip tells you, then that will tell you what you need to know. I'm dubious about the sparring occuring at your school since (by your words) it's only the last 2 to 3 minutes of your class. 2 to 3 minutes is nothing. A class should accomodate from 30 minutes to an hour for sparring IMO.

BY THE WAY:

You are 17, 1.70 and 68kg. I strongly suggest you try to put some weight. You are at the perfect age to develop your muscles, strenghten your bonees and gain some good LEAN weight. Don't wait until you are in your 30's ;)
                            Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

well

maybe i got the concept wrong but what i meant by sparring is like "real fighting"
                              the rest of the class we do exersises like u hit me and i hit u,grabbing techniques etc

i watched the video and i know what aliveness means, not sure if ma class is so alive tough since no one has gotten seriously fighting with me yet since im a NOOB :D

i still dont know if i should go kickboxing or stay in kung fu since i only have one opinion, would apreciate some more

Comment

Originally posted by theraydiator
                                Actually, the RNC says a lot of things to a lot of people. It's kind of like the Rosetta Stone of being an asshole.
                                Sigged.
                                Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X