X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teh El Macho
    replied
    Originally posted by Robstafarian
    I'm reading it very differently. To me, it sounds like his initial rationalization has caused him to go too far in the other direction. He seems to be so interested in sparring that the lack of sparring in the class he attended really put him off. In other words, I think he's feeling that he went from forms and no real sparring to PE and no real sparring, after he was taught the value of sparring. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think it's too soon to write him off.
    Hmmmm, interesting theory. Shit, it could be true!!! If that's the case, I'd retract my words. If that's the case, this dude deserves some props because at least he is trying :)

Leave a comment:

• Robstafarian
    replied
    Originally posted by El Macho
    After all the comments and advice everybody has kindly given him, he is still trying to rationalize what he's been doing for the past half year plus all the notions he has about what the learning of a martial arts would/should be like.
    I'm reading it very differently. To me, it sounds like his initial rationalization has caused him to go too far in the other direction. He seems to be so interested in sparring that the lack of sparring in the class he attended really put him off. In other words, I think he's feeling that he went from forms and no real sparring to PE and no real sparring, after he was taught the value of sparring. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think it's too soon to write him off.

Leave a comment:

• Teh El Macho
    replied
    Originally posted by Kidspatula
    While I certainly agree that you need to be in good physical shape, I would also say that unless your class is several hours long (as is mine) physical conditioning should be something you do on your time outside of class, while the class itself teaches you all the technique you need to know.

At one point my boxing class become pretty much entirely conditioning with no technical work, just doing sprints and other fitness drills. The class wasn't fun and wasn't what I wanted out of a boxing class (I wanted to learn to box) so I hardly ever went and instead spent that time sparring.

Of course a certain amount of conditioning during the class should go down, but most of that you can get from pad work. All the additional stuff like sprinting, skipping rope etc etc., IMO, are really only necessary for people that are already on the level where they're training to get ready to fight. EDIT: and as I said, I think that if you're at that level you should be putting in that additional work on your own time.
    I know what you mean Ashley; honestly sometimes I feel exactly the same way sometimes at my BJJ class. A little bit less warmup and a bit more of drills (cuz they call it warmup, but that shit isn't warmup - it's bootcamp.)

However, I honestly believe this kid, Wooty, because the amount of PE vs the amount of fancy forms and yelling does not comform to what he say in "The Karate Kid" or Van Damme's "Kickboxer".

After all the comments and advice everybody has kindly given him, he is still trying to rationalize what he's been doing for the past half year plus all the notions he has about what the learning of a martial arts would/should be like.

Honestly, either this kid is in deep denial and beyond reach, or is incredibly lazy, or he is just someone pretending to be a n00b who has been trolling us all along.

Leave a comment:

• sdave
    replied
    WooTy,

Unless I missed it, you didn't specify exactly what you meant by "exercises".

Are you talking about push-ups, sit-ups, and squat-thrusts for an hour, or do you just mean doing pad and bag work on some sort of circuit? I'll admit that I've occasionally gassed just hitting stuff for an hour and it felt like exercise to me.

Maybe you should attend a few more classes before you make a decision. Admittedly, never sparring would be "t3h suck", but just sparring for the whole class without being taught WTF to do wouldn't be ideal either.

Now, in reference to:

Originally posted by WooTy
    classes cost money, and if i want to do P.E. i will pay for a P.E. class not for a muay thai class
    Bear in mind that if your only options are (a) paying for a Shaolin Kung-Fu class that will not teach you how to fight at all, or (b) paying for a Muay Thai class that spends 99% of the time on physical conditioning and only 1% of the time on teaching you to fight, then you're STILL learning more with option (b).

im looking for a place to learn how to fight, not one that makes me have a better condition and bigger muscles because i can do so miself
    If you could have, you would have, my man. If you haven't, it's because you think you don't need to in order to be a good fighter. After all you're a young guy and you've already been training for a few months. If you're not in shape now, when's it gonna happen?

Oh, and, uh, DENNY CRANE!

''You hear the one about the fella who died, went to the pearly gates? St. Peter lets him in. Sees a guy in a suit making a closing argument. Says 'Who's that?' St. Peter says, 'Oh, that's God. Thinks he's Denny Crane.'' - Denny Crane

<almost forgot to get some Shatner in there>
    Last edited by sdave; 8/06/2006 9:46pm, .

Leave a comment:

• sdave
    replied
    Originally posted by RunningDog
    Is that you in the avatar Dave?
    Yeah. That's me. I'm not a handsome man.

Originally posted by RunningDog
    you're mighty ripped. I will not be rolling with you.
    Meh. Thanks. Doesn't help my gr4ppl3 (too much)...

Leave a comment:

• Torakaka
    replied
    While I certainly agree that you need to be in good physical shape, I would also say that unless your class is several hours long (as is mine) physical conditioning should be something you do on your time outside of class, while the class itself teaches you all the technique you need to know.

At one point my boxing class become pretty much entirely conditioning with no technical work, just doing sprints and other fitness drills. The class wasn't fun and wasn't what I wanted out of a boxing class (I wanted to learn to box) so I hardly ever went and instead spent that time sparring.

Of course a certain amount of conditioning during the class should go down, but most of that you can get from pad work. All the additional stuff like sprinting, skipping rope etc etc., IMO, are really only necessary for people that are already on the level where they're training to get ready to fight. EDIT: and as I said, I think that if you're at that level you should be putting in that additional work on your own time.

Leave a comment:

• Teh El Macho
    replied
    Wooty, read this sh11t several times until you understand this.

If u guys really liked the isntructor u have, the way he teaches and his personality but u knew u could train something that could be more usefull to you, would u choose to stay where u are, or would u look for other place with the posibility of having a shity instructor?
    should i consider the instructor to be more important than the actual art im learning?
    Have you ever considered that in order to fight, you need to be in good shape?

Do you realize that fighting is a physically demanding activity?

Have you considered that the MT instructor didn't put you to spar because 1) you are not in fighting shape, and 2) you don't know how to fight?

Any pendejo can ask you do throw punches from a horse stand and move your arms around in esoteric ways for years and tell you that you are learning to fight. Deep down you know that is not so.

The PE you saw in the Muay Thai class is is not something strange in Muay Thai. That's how it is!!!! :protest:

Furthermore, go to any boxing, MMA, Judo, BJJ or any MA that REALLY TEACHS YOU TO FIGHT, and they will make sweat and puke the tomatoes you ate last week.

You are looking for a shortcut, a way to learn how to fight without having to achieve the physical conditioning required for it. You want to learn a martial arts and be the deadly the way the lanky, skinny, pussified Karate Kid did in his movie.

You are wrong when you say that if you wanted to take a PE class, you could. PE is part of MA, real MA. There is a reason for it. Pretending to learn a real MA without PE is like pretending to be a soccer or basketball player without physical conditioning.

You can certainly see how pendejo that proposition is.

I think you have to sit down and really think what the hell you really want.

Do you want to learn how to fight, or do you want to pretend you know how?

If you want to spend hours in a horse stand position wearing chinese clothes or a ninja uniform, more power to you. Just know that you won't know how to fight.

If you want to learn a real martial arts that teaches you how to fight, the suck it up because you will have to do the PE that turned you off so much at the Muay Thai class.

If you don't want either, then do something else. And that's fine. Just don't pretend to be learning a REAL martial arts when you are not. And don't pretend or delude yourself that you will find a shortcut, because there is none.

Leave a comment:

• RunningDog
    replied
    Is that you in the avatar Dave? you're mighty ripped. I will not be rolling with you.

Edit: you're so ripped I had to double post about it.
    Last edited by RunningDog; 8/06/2006 7:07pm, .

Leave a comment:

• RunningDog
    replied
    Is that you in the avatar Dave? you're mighty ripped. I will not be rolling with you.

Leave a comment:

• sdave
    replied
    If u guys really liked the isntructor u have, the way he teaches and his personality but u knew u could train something that could be more usefull to you, would u choose to stay where u are, or would u look for other place with the posibility of having a shity instructor?
    should i consider the instructor to be more important than the actual art im learning?
    Tell your instructor:

"I have been and always shall be your friend."

Then tell him to "live long and prosper" and go find someone who can teach you to fight.

Leave a comment:

• Torakaka
    replied
    you should consider wether or not you like doing what you're doing

Leave a comment:

• mrblackmagic
    replied
    Have you paid attention to anything we said? Anything at all?

Look. If you want to stick to your kung fu, stick to your kung fu just don't ask for advice if you don't want to hear it.

Leave a comment:

• RunningDog
    replied
    err... should you leave a shitty but nice instructor, for a plain shitty instructor? No. You should find a different hobby. Have you thought of tennis? Rock climbing maybe?

Leave a comment:

• WooTy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• RunningDog
    replied
    Try another class. Maybe it will have fighting.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X