VERY confused MA NooB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kidspatula
    While I certainly agree that you need to be in good physical shape, I would also say that unless your class is several hours long (as is mine) physical conditioning should be something you do on your time outside of class, while the class itself teaches you all the technique you need to know.

At one point my boxing class become pretty much entirely conditioning with no technical work, just doing sprints and other fitness drills. The class wasn't fun and wasn't what I wanted out of a boxing class (I wanted to learn to box) so I hardly ever went and instead spent that time sparring.

Of course a certain amount of conditioning during the class should go down, but most of that you can get from pad work. All the additional stuff like sprinting, skipping rope etc etc., IMO, are really only necessary for people that are already on the level where they're training to get ready to fight. EDIT: and as I said, I think that if you're at that level you should be putting in that additional work on your own time.
    I know what you mean Ashley; honestly sometimes I feel exactly the same way sometimes at my BJJ class. A little bit less warmup and a bit more of drills (cuz they call it warmup, but that shit isn't warmup - it's bootcamp.)

However, I honestly believe this kid, Wooty, because the amount of PE vs the amount of fancy forms and yelling does not comform to what he say in "The Karate Kid" or Van Damme's "Kickboxer".

After all the comments and advice everybody has kindly given him, he is still trying to rationalize what he's been doing for the past half year plus all the notions he has about what the learning of a martial arts would/should be like.

Honestly, either this kid is in deep denial and beyond reach, or is incredibly lazy, or he is just someone pretending to be a n00b who has been trolling us all along.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Originally posted by El Macho
      After all the comments and advice everybody has kindly given him, he is still trying to rationalize what he's been doing for the past half year plus all the notions he has about what the learning of a martial arts would/should be like.
      I'm reading it very differently. To me, it sounds like his initial rationalization has caused him to go too far in the other direction. He seems to be so interested in sparring that the lack of sparring in the class he attended really put him off. In other words, I think he's feeling that he went from forms and no real sparring to PE and no real sparring, after he was taught the value of sparring. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think it's too soon to write him off.
      Originally posted by Snake Plissken
      cuz FastPass on Indiana Jones was like being a ghetto rock star.
      Originally posted by Kiko
      But graffiti isn't a bowl of fruit...
      Originally posted by Robstafarian
      Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

What is instead happening is thus:
      1. Your argument is bullshit.
      2. You keep repeating, and expanding upon, your argument.
      3. Therefore, you are an idiot.

That isn't an ad hominem fallacy; that's inductive reasoning.

Comment

I'm reading it very differently. To me, it sounds like his initial rationalization has caused him to go too far in the other direction. He seems to be so interested in sparring that the lack of sparring in the class he attended really put him off. In other words, I think he's feeling that he went from forms and no real sparring to PE and no real sparring, after he was taught the value of sparring. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I think it's too soon to write him off.
        Hmmmm, interesting theory. Shit, it could be true!!! If that's the case, I'd retract my words. If that's the case, this dude deserves some props because at least he is trying :)
        Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

You may want to research the following in Santiago...

http://www.karateoyama.cl/
          Kyokushin Karate is known as a style that spars hard and often...

http://www.gtp.gr/TDirectoryDetails.asp?ID=54286
          Judo is a good style that also practices with resistant opponents a good
          part of the time (randori).

If you could train both, that'd be good.

I used to live in Santiago from about 1981-1983, I believe, and then again from
          1986-1988. Back then I took Taekwondo but got fed up with it and joined
          Enzo Ramirez's Goju-Ryu school. I forgot the address, but they did a lot of
          medium and full contact sparring at Enzo's school back then. You may also
          want to look them up and check them out if they're still around.

If you can find a mixed martials arts school where they teach striking
          (Muay Thai, boxing, kickboxing), wrestling and submissions (Brazilian Jiujitsu,
          sambo), that's your best bet. Like others posted, Kung Fu isn't going to
          teach you good fighting skills unless you happen to have a great teacher
          (which is rare).

Comment

Originally posted by sdave
            Yeah. That's me. I'm not a handsome man.

Meh. Thanks. Doesn't help my gr4ppl3 (too much)...
            Don't put yourself down big man. Beauty is only skin deep:pity:

Comment

^^ dudes, you guys are making this thread sound like a discussion of "Brokeback Mountain"! LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by El Macho
                ^^ dudes, you guys are making this thread sound like a discussion of "Brokeback Mountain"! LOL.
                "I'll never stop sparring you" :love4:
                Merely insulting you is not an ad hominem fallacy: them calling you an idiot would be ad hominem if they said "You are an idiot, therefore your argument is invalid."

Comment

:XXpuke: :XXpuke: ..... no one fights fair most people have knives or guns forget elbows and knees.

Comment

It might just be scheduling. The MT gym I went years ago only sparred on the weekened. I mean we'd do technique and calistentics Mon-Thurs, but all friday we'd got at. It was like a test in school. They gave us the lesson, we see what you learned, and then we critique it to see what you need to work on.You could do it more if you asked. That's just common practice.
                    Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

"I'll never stop sparring you" :love4:
                      Can I use my mango kimono??? It helps me with my "closet" guard... :occasion1

Comment

yah preety much, thats the problem, im sorry to trouble u guys but im really tryng hard, this is a hard desition for me and i already noticed that kung fu sucked so its definetly not denial
                        i got a weird style called hankido wich is suposed to be a derivation of hapkido near my house, ill probably go to a class soon and tell u guys how the class went, hope it suits the way i want to train
                        about the exersises someone asked before, we did about 30 mins of jump rope, 10-15 mins of teaching hits then "exersises", from push ups to abs
                        they did about 600 abs 1200 legs exersises and 120 push ups, maybe for u guys its normal or something,but i just couldnt keep up
                        Elmacho, im sorry if i ever said anything to upset you but thx for keeping on posting, even if its just to get ur post number up ur still helping somehow but telling me im a retard or so, ur advices kinda got me =P as harsh as they were heh
                        Last edited by WooTy; 8/08/2006 10:24pm, .

Comment

if the workout kicks your ass, you might be in the right place.

Comment

?

http://www.sangmookwan.com/page/7

http://www.ushapki.com/pages/hankido.php
                            Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

take a real martial art

Comment

Originally posted by Trubble
                                take a real martial art
                                Real helpful, is your name pronounced "Trollbble"?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X