Junior Black Belts in BJJ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by W. Rabbit View Post

It might work like normal BJJ schools, at 16 they'd hop from their kiddie colors to an appropriate color according to skill level, which would mean blue or purple as determined by the professor.

A direct youth to adult bb would not only be BULLSHIT, it would set a dangerous precedent, because we all know how many kids will quit after they get that fucking kiddie black belt, just like they do in TKD and karate, and will tell people the rest of their lives they are a BJJ bb.

​​​​​
    BJJ already added a bunch of kiddo belt colors to deal with this. I believe Blue Belt is the Cap for 16 year olds for most organizations.
    Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.
    George Silver, Paradoxes of Defence

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

BJJ already added a bunch of kiddo belt colors to deal with this. I believe Blue Belt is the Cap for 16 year olds for most organizations.
      Right. When my son did BJJ with me, it went from white to grey to yellow to green with different horizontal stripes.

When you turn 16, you go to white or blue or purple depending on skill level and current belt. If you have a green kiddie belt, purple is also on the table. They can't be brown until 17.

​​​​​​SO Kiddie black would probably go right to purple in this school. I can't imagine them giving out black and then bumping back to blue. Most kids would probably quit if they had to do that, and purple would be the highest rank at 16, they'd think they earned it. And I'm sure quite a few would have.

Again what would bug me would be running into people who claim to be BJJ blacks and never being told the "but I quit at 15" part.

Comment

Right. When my son did BJJ with me, it went from white to grey to yellow to green with different horizontal stripes.

When you turn 16, you go to white or blue or purple depending on skill level and current belt. If you have a green kiddie belt, purple is also on the table. They can't be brown until 17.

​​​​​​SO Kiddie black would probably go right to purple in this school. I can't imagine them giving out black and then bumping back to blue. Most kids would probably quit if they had to do that, and purple would be the highest rank at 16, they'd think they earned it. And I'm sure quite a few would have.

Again what would bug me would be running into people who claim to be BJJ blacks and never being told the "but I quit at 15" part.
        You usually don't revert to adult belts at 16, you just become eligible for them, so you keep what ever kids belt at 16, rarely do you jump from green black to purple. Heck I have seen 16 year old blue belts that can compete with Black belts, that haven't been promoted to purple yet.

Of the single rapier fight between valiant men, having both skill, he that is the best wrestler, or if neither of them can wrestle, the strongest man most commonly kills the other, or leaves him at his mercy.

Comment

Though Rabbit is right for in that they do convert at Juvenile to for competition:
          White belts remain white belts. But any student with rank beyond white (grey, yellow, orange, or green) must be moved to blue or purple in the juvenile ranking system. Grey, yellow, and orange belts must move to juvenile blue belt. Green belts may be moved to blue or purple belt at the instructor’s discretion.
          Though I have never seen a Grey -orange belt actually made into a blue belt.
          I don't think I have ever seen a "juvenile" blue belt. I have seen Juveniles with adult blue belts and they are typically killers.

Comment

Though Rabbit is right for in that they do convert at Juvenile to for competition:
            White belts remain white belts. But any student with rank beyond white (grey, yellow, orange, or green) must be moved to blue or purple in the juvenile ranking system. Grey, yellow, and orange belts must move to juvenile blue belt. Green belts may be moved to blue or purple belt at the instructor’s discretion.
            Though I have never seen a Grey -orange belt actually made into a blue belt.
            I don't think I have ever seen a "juvenile" blue belt. I have seen Juveniles with adult blue belts and they are typically killers.
            Correct, My daughter was a green belt at 15 and change. She got her blue at 16 but at a touney without enough women she fought boys at green belt because she was still a Teen/juvenile advanced. So she fought at the top skill division. Kids divisions are weird because their belts are less organized and agreed upon  within the community.
            Orange would be made into a blue at 16.
            Green would be blue and some stripes or up to purple. She's trained over a decade for her blue. 
            Last edited by Raycetpfl; 2/10/2020 7:04pm, .
            The Caucasian always has stronger strength and when comes to grappling, Caucasians mostly win easily. I do know grappling and if I used it on Asians my size, it works. - Kung Fu dude that got waxed at OneFc try out.

Comment

You usually don't revert to adult belts at 16, you just become eligible for them, so you keep what ever kids belt at 16, rarely do you jump from green black to purple. Heck I have seen 16 year old blue belts that can compete with Black belts, that haven't been promoted to purple yet.

Yeah I was staring at this mapping all day. You can see how "White belt" covers the same ranges as blue, purple, brown, black, and so on.

I've only gone to one competition BJJ school, I guess. That's my bias.

#whitebelt4eva

Comment

Yeah I was staring at this mapping all day.

I've only gone to competition BJJ schools, I guess. That's my bias.
                Do you mean you have only gone to an IBJJF competition based school?
                As their are a lot of other organizations that host competitions.
                That chart is from the IBJJF handbook, the IBJJF does sort of set the standard for rank, but its not quite the only standard.

Comment

Do you mean you have only gone to an IBJJF competition based school?
                  As their are a lot of other organizations that host competitions.
                  That chart is from the IBJJF handbook, the IBJJF does sort of set the standard for rank, but its not quite the only standard.
                  One was all that I needed, or will ever need.

My professor is a Mundials champion. Possibly a Wing Chun master...I would never ask!

Her numbers One, Two, Three, and beyond are without question, competitors.

You want to dive further into my Hung Kuen lineage? Hmm? You are more than welcome.

Comment

One was all that I needed, or will ever need.

My professor is a Mundials champion. Possibly a Wing Chun master...I would never ask!

Her numbers One, Two, Three, and beyond are without question, competitors.

You want to dive further into my Hung Kuen lineage? Hmm? You are more than welcome.
                    I am familiar with your Instructor, I know all her big competition wins are IBJJF, but I don't know how IBJJF focused her classes are of course as I haven't attended them.
                    I do have access to the bigger stronger DVD with Kesting and Her, but I haven't really spent a lot of time on it so I don't know its focus.

Comment

I am familiar with your Instructor, I know all her big competition wins are IBJJF, but I don't know how IBJJF focused her classes are of course as I haven't attended them.
                      I do have access to the bigger stronger DVD with Kesting and Her, but I haven't really spent a lot of time on it so I don't know its focus.
                      Her warmups kicked my ass, and made me puke at least once. But I'm feeling MUCH better now.

My youngest son has been hurling all night. Hopefully it's just a standard stomach virus. IF so, his odds are good. Better than 42:1.

Gatorade and ginger ale. You know the drill, I'm sure. Pedialyte tastes like ass.

Comment

Gatorade and ginger ale. You know the drill, I'm sure. Pedialyte tastes like ass.
                        Surprisingly no, I don't think my child has really had a stomach bug......
                        I haven't really had one where I have puked more than once in many many many years myself.
                        I haven't puked in a few years for that matter...

Comment

I don't get the youth issue. If it was boxing for example that same 16year old could be walking around with a tile.

https://m.qt.com.au/news/wma-boxer-w...a-row/2473206/
                          Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                          http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                            I don't get the youth issue. If it was boxing for example that same 16year old could be walking around with a tile.

https://m.qt.com.au/news/wma-boxer-w...a-row/2473206/
                            A 16 year old BJJ youth is welcome to any titles that they can earn.

Comment

A 16 year old BJJ youth is welcome to any titles that they can earn.
                              Just not a black belt though.
                              Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
                              http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

Comment

Originally posted by gregaquaman View Post
                                Just not a black belt though.
                                When we have 16 year old's winning pans or world titles at Purple belt then I think we can start to worry about if its an issue or not.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X