• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junior Black Belts in BJJ

Only in Portland...
    https://www.bjjee.com/articles/ribei...or-black-belt/
    Falling for Judo since 1980

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

BJJ has now officially become strip-mall TKD. Oversaturation of the market.
    Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

So, when the Junior BB is no longer a junior any more, what belt does he go to?
      Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

"Disliking someone is not evidence of wrongdoing or malfeasance or even bias." --Dung Beatles

Comment

At that point, I think you just declare it a different martial art. Maybe he could test for blue out of the gate?
        Consider for a moment that there is no meme about brown-haired, brown-eyed step children.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
          Well, in Judo, they used to have a system by which juniors (under 17) had their own ranking system. Black belt was not included in it, though.That was in the USJF, if I recall correctly, and was in place when I started Judo in 1980. I was 17 then, so I just got tossed in with the grown-ups.

The equivalent of a brown belt for a u17 kids was a purple belt.

Once a kid turned 17 (was considered an adult), she turned in the purple belt and went to green belt (sankyu) if I remember correctly.

Today, it's possible for kids under 17 to get promoted to shodan. It's pretty common in Japan. Reserved for rather exceptional kids under 18 in the US and Canada. Typically kids who do well in the higher levels of competition.

AFAIK, 15 would be the lower limit for shodan in Judo, in US or Canada at least. Not sure in Japan...

Shodan (1st black) is not considered an experts rank in Judo, as it is in BJJ.

For example, one of my former students was promoted via batsugan to shodan at age 16 or 17 last year. Because she was u18 national champion, ranked in u21, and was beating senior women (including black belts) in national level competition.

OK, I remembered the terms shonen and yonen.Had to look them up though.
          Yonen is kids under 13, no chokes or armlocks
          Shonen is 13 to 16+ no arm locks
          Seinin (seniors) is 17 and older (old rules were no armbars under sankyu (lowest brown belt).

"You are wrong. Why? Because you move like a pregnant yak and talk like a spazzing 'I train UFC' noob." -DCS

"The best part of getting you worked up is your backpack full of irony and lies." -It Is Fake

"Banning BKR is like kicking a Quokka. It's foolishness of the first order." - Raycetpfl

Comment

And since this is YMAS, yet another example of the true commercial nature of BJJ.

Comment

I made mention of this in another thread. It should be broken out into this thread for sure.
              Let's see they are an Affiliate of someone that isn't likely to like this, someone that is a bit more on the traditional side of things.
              Let;s see what the response from them is.
              It should be interesting to see how these Kids compete since the brackets are going to be based on kids belt brackets.
              So ultimately unless this school isn't expecting any sort of competing they are going to have to map to the more standard belts.

Comment

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                And since this is YMAS, yet another example of the true commercial nature of BJJ.
                More than likely It's an ex. Karate school person That is just carrying on their Wicked Ways with bjj now. I suspect The Riberio Bros are going to nip this in the bud.

Comment

Originally posted by Raycetpfl View Post

More than likely It's an ex. Karate school person That is just carrying on their Wicked Ways with bjj now. I suspect The Riberio Bros are going to nip this in the bud.
                  Well, it's true that Karate schools tend to out-commercial BJJ. Especially TKD...

Comment

The place does Birthday Parties, I am not going to fault a small business owner for trying to maximize their profit margins and make the best use of facilities.
                    However it does feel a bit more....... well a bit more um I am having a hard time articulating what I mean, but it reminds me of the Karate School that would pick up kids at my child's middle school and have them do their homework in the homework room......I think the words I am looking for is unregulated day care?

Comment

• Diesel_tke
                      Diesel_tke commented
                      Editing a comment
                      My nephew had his birthday party at his TKD school. All the kids got a gi and got to break a board at the end of the party. I was like, WTF is this. lol

Originally posted by BKR View Post
                    '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Originally posted by submessenger View Post
                      BJJ has now officially become strip-mall TKD. Oversaturation of the market.
                      You say this like it's a bad thing. It means BJJ has achieved it's goal, it's a traditional MA now. You should celebrate. Honestly it's the end stop for all martial arts, lots of martial arts started hard only to end up at the mall.

Comment

Originally posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post

You say this like it's a bad thing. It means BJJ has achieved it's goal, it's a traditional MA now. You should celebrate. Honestly it's the end stop for all martial arts, lots of martial arts started hard only to end up at the mall.
                        I mean to be fair, the culminative wear and tear on someone doing a hard martial art is likely way worse for them than what ever "self defense" situation these people are likely to get into.

Comment

Originally posted by goodlun View Post

I mean to be fair, the culminative wear and tear on someone doing a hard martial art is likely way worse for them than what ever "self defense" situation these people are likely to get into.
                          I kind of have the same opinion as Penn and Teller on martial arts for self defense. Do it for fun or for competition, but martial arts for self-defense is kind of silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Diesel_tke View Post
                            It might work like normal BJJ schools, at 16 they'd hop from their kiddie colors to an appropriate color according to skill level, which would mean blue or purple as determined by the professor.

A direct youth to adult bb would not only be BULLSHIT, it would set a dangerous precedent, because we all know how many kids will quit after they get that fucking kiddie black belt, just like they do in TKD and karate, and will tell people the rest of their lives they are a BJJ bb.

​​​​​
                            '�I am no advocate of passivity,� Coffin Mott said in an 1860 speech. �Quakerism, as I understand it, does not mean quietism. The early Friends were agitators; disturbers of the peace; and were more obnoxious in their day to charges, which are now so freely made, than we are.�'

My Glossary: https://www.bullshido.net/forums/sho...d.php?t=129294

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                            X