Has anyone trained with Dan Netherland?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone trained with Dan Netherland?

I met this guy in St. Louis last weekend. He calls his style kinami ryu aikijujutsu. Just curious if anyone out there knows of him. His website is www.aikijujitsu.com . He seems like a nice guy but the title of Dr. and holder of multiple world records throws up some major red flags.

Thanks in advance.

Be suspicious, be very suspicious...
    Last edited by KIRIKAMI8; 11/25/2008 4:31pm, .

Comment

Originally posted by mitsutomoe
      I met this guy in St. Louis last weekend. He calls his style kinami ryu aikijujutsu. Just curious if anyone out there knows of him. His website is www.aikijujitsu.com . He seems like a nice guy but the title of Dr. and holder of multiple world records throws up some major red flags.

Thanks in advance.
      What kind of aikijujutsu do you do?

Comment

I couldnt find anything about him at that link. The page was more like a search engine, than an actual webpage.

Comment

http://www.dannetherland.com/

Comment

He'd do well at very least to throw this link on his site. It does him no favors that I have to verify this shit myself.

http://www.worldrecordsacademy.org/s...land_70864.htm

His breaking stuff is legit. I find really nothing of significance with regard to fighting. If you are planning to battle brick buildings and rock slides, he's your man.
            Last edited by Gabetuno; 11/25/2008 3:31pm, .

Comment

Is it safe to say that this should be booted over to YMAS for the moment?

Comment

Originally posted by Dragon_Kenpo
                Hi Dan...

Comment

Recently (in the last few years) Dan Netherland retired from teaching at his dojo in East Tennessee. The Doctor title has nothing to do with martial arts, he is a preacher/minister/something and holds services at a small church. I don't believe he really has anything to do with his own website (not really the technical type) Now, how do I know this? A friend of mine trained briefly under him, and I actually met him at his church :P Last note, my friend said the style he taught was a mash up of close range strikes and aikido style throws and joint torques.

Comment

Absolutely legit !!

Sensei Netherland is absolutely legit. i have had the honor to meet and train under this man personally.
                    His style is a no nonsense combination of aiki jujitsu, aikido, and kempo taught in traditional formal Japanese style. It is NOT a tournament style. It is true martial close combat techniques designed to grievously injure, or kill an opponent.
                    He was a hand to hand instructor in the marine corps way, way, back in the day (long before most of you were born.) trained in Japan for some years in traditional Japanese style, and headed a security detail in the middle east just to name a few of his lifetime accomplishments. Volumes could be written about this man and what he has done. (Wait they already have been.)
                    I highly recommend any who has the chance to pass through east Tn to stop in and meet this man personally. I consider him to be a living legend, and it is my great honor to have the opportunity to train under such a man.
                    The public Dojo has been closed for some time, but private classes continue to the dedicated few, usually on Tuesdays, and Thursdays. Everyone is welcome to come see for themselves, and if you wish, step on the mat.
                    If you do, tell Sensei Rob sent you !!

Comment

Originally posted by robbranam View Post
                      Sensei Netherland is absolutely legit. i have had the honor to meet and train under this man personally.
                      His style is a no nonsense combination of aiki jujitsu, aikido, and kempo taught in traditional formal Japanese style. It is NOT a tournament style. It is true martial close combat techniques designed to grievously injure, or kill an opponent.

You lost me here and peaked my awareness, how would you rate the aliveness level in the class? Is it a bunch of one steps or do you guys spar much like what you find at a bjj place or Muay Thai or boxing gym? Are you saying as well that no one competes at any tournaments at all, even the crappy tippy toe point sparring ones? If not how do you measure your skills against a resisting opponent?

Comment

11yrs.

My name is Jeffrey Frazier 6th dan. Renshi, Sensei is very legit. I Have trained for 36yrs. There is a saying judge a Sensei b the student. He is my neighbor, my friend and my Sensei for11yrs . I will leave address for anyone to come and try me to see what kind of teacher he is . 444 Jimtown Rd. NEWPORT, TN. I will be waiting.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X