• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agis Silverfish
    replied
    Originally posted by babo78
    Agis Silverfish,
    Sounds like you are concerned with SD mostly and your knee limiting you in kicks & takedowns. So I'd recommend boxing and take up Judo again or replace it with BJJ.

BJJ contains Judo throws so there are plenty of waist throws.
    That sounds good. Thank you all. I'll take BJJ and see what happens. I'll drop a message as soon as a get my first bruises.

Leave a comment:

• Agis Silverfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Shuma-Gorath
    Spain? You wouldn't be looking at Fabricio Werdum's school, would you?
    It's the first time I hear of him. I guess he's a great fighter.

Anyway, I have checked and he's not in that school. He often comes for seminars and stuff.

Leave a comment:

• babo78
    replied
    Agis Silverfish,
    Sounds like you are concerned with SD mostly and your knee limiting you in kicks & takedowns. So I'd recommend boxing and take up Judo again or replace it with BJJ.

BJJ contains Judo throws so there are plenty of waist throws.

Leave a comment:

• Shuma-Gorath
    replied
    Spain? You wouldn't be looking at Fabricio Werdum's school, would you?

Leave a comment:

• Agis Silverfish
    replied
    [quote=IzzyDaHedgehog]If you're interested in self-defence, have fun with Kendo and carry a gun. [quote]

Good idea, but tThat's not legal in my country (Spain).

Edit: My brother tells me to forget about self-defence and go Kendo. But he's in Capoeira... ;)
    Last edited by Agis Silverfish; 7/12/2006 8:00am, .

Leave a comment:

• Shuma-Gorath
    replied
    Originally posted by Agis Silverfish
    BJJ: First Question: Are there many waist throws?
    Yes.

Second question: In this style, do you always go to the ground? It makes much more sense to me to let your opponent fly to the ground while you stand up.
    In BJJ self-defence you do indeed throw your opponent to the ground and remain standing unless your position dictates that you go to the ground as well.

This would be a huge waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• IzzyDaHedgehog
    replied
    If you're interested in self-defence, have fun with Kendo and carry a gun. Getting good enough at MA that you can rely upon it on "teh street" takes too long to be worth it if you're not doing it for fun, IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• Agis Silverfish
    replied
    Originally posted by Shard
    3) Why are you taking kickboxing if you aren't going to kick? Chances are you're boxing isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of a boxer who has had the same length of training.
    Well, the idea is not kicking, but being kicked. Hopefully, I would get the punching ability of a boxer and at the same time be more or less prepared for kicks. Don't know if it's a good idea. :5baby: :5question

I'll consider archery if I am too soft for Kendo. :occasion5

Leave a comment:

• Shard
    replied
    1) You couldn't be more wrong. At least when you don't learn WC, you unconciously still have some power in your strikes, given those strikes will be haymakers. But better to have haymakers that can knock a guy out than to have slap techniques as a weapon. Or punches that lack any real power.

2) Not sure about hip throws.
    But agian, better to know what to do on the ground that to fuck up a throw and end up being pwned. Alot of non-complaint takedowns/throws end up with you on the ground. You sure as hell should know what to do.

3) Why are you taking kickboxing if you aren't going to kick? Chances are you're boxing isn't going to be anywhere near the quality of a boxer who has had the same length of training.

Leave a comment:

• MEGA JESUS-SAMA
    replied
    Do archery. Archery is cool. This is cool. You wanna do this right?

Bet you do!

Leave a comment:

• Agis Silverfish
    started a topic Help on deciding on a MA.

Help on deciding on a MA.

Greetings.

I am not a native speaker, so please excuse the oddities of my posts. Thanks.

My questions for you -so far:

1) Wing Chun: From the SD viewpoint, what is better: To do WC or not to do anything at all?

2) BJJ: First Question: Are there many waist throws? Second question: In this style, do you always go to the ground? It makes much more sense to me to let your opponent fly to the ground while you stand up.

3)

4)

Thank you very much.

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X