Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hannibal
    Can you do simple mathamatics ?
    Do you know what often means you insufferable idiot?
    Do you know that bjj classes are often ~2 hours?
    In short, STFU.

Originally posted by bornsceptic
    The point is it only becomes economical if you can afford a fair bit of time - which I can't.
    Absolutely, unless you factor in quality which makes it far more economical far sooner. Particularly considering that 1 year of bjj = 10 year of most other arts.

Comment

Originally posted by Hannibal

To train in BJJ 2-3 times a week sets you back $100 - $120 per month.

To train in Judo 2-3 times per week sets you back $50 per month.
      I wish I could find a place in NYC where Judo is about $50/month. I've done the
      google searches, not too many schools in Manhattan. I'm paying $105 for 1
      class a week, plus a one-time $80 registration fee to the sensei and another
      $50 registration fee to the Judo association.. Other schools are $400/20
      classes within 3 months, I think you have to pay upfront...

If anyone in NYC know of an inexpensive judo school that has classes on
      Tuesdays and Thursdays (I'm training BJJ M, W, F), please let me know!

Comment

Judo schools in South Florida run about $25 to $50, usually with 3 to 4 classes a week, 2 hours each. The one I used to go was $60 with training 6 times a week (or 5 during tourneys), 2 hours per class. But those are the exception rather than the rule.

From what've gather, one would be lucky to find a judo school that trains more than twice a week. The reason for that is that, again, they are non-profit organizations - instructors that volunteer to teach and run the school. It's not a source of income, and there is a limit on how many nights a week a non-profit instructor can give.

If Judo schools were to be run as commercial venues, I would suspect the price would be comparable to your average BJJ school. In fact, I would suspect that any school that charges less than $120+ for unlimited access to 4-5 classes a week is running just above the red line, seriously.

*** PS ***

NY and LA seem to compete in being expensive. Rokutanda, $105 for one class a week seems ridiculously high to be honest. If you love the training in that school, then good, but I think you are getting the short end of the stick there.
        Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Originally posted by rokutanda
          I wish I could find a place in NYC where Judo is about $50/month. I've done the
          google searches, not too many schools in Manhattan. I'm paying $105 for 1
          class a week, plus a one-time $80 registration fee to the sensei and another
          $50 registration fee to the Judo association.. Other schools are $400/20
          classes within 3 months, I think you have to pay upfront...

If anyone in NYC know of an inexpensive judo school that has classes on
          Tuesdays and Thursdays (I'm training BJJ M, W, F), please let me know!
          My girlfriend was training out with Hank Kraft at http://queensjudocenter.com/ for 50 bucks a month I think. She was going on Wednesdays I believe though. Still, you might want to check it out. Places in Queens are probably much cheaper than Manhattan.

Comment

rokutanda, I don't know how far you are from Rego Park but Spartak Judo is in Queens and I heard they are hardcore Russian Judo blackbelts.

They are on the list of schools I want to check out.

Edit: it's not Spartan Judo it's Spartak Judo, and it's not in Ozone Park it's Rego Park, whoops.

Spartak Sport Club
            64-34 99 Street, Rego Park, NY 11374
            Sensei: Arkadiy Aronov
            (718) 459-4800
            Schedule: M/W 7-8:30, T/R 4-8:30, Sun 10-2
            Last edited by ojgsxr6; 7/14/2006 1:40pm, .

Comment

When I was looking for a new MA last year, I read an awful lot of websites for MMA gyms and BJJ clubs in the south east of the UK. The pricing schemes looked like they were actually pretty cheap per hour for very dedicated people who would pay the 'unlimited training' fee and take classes 3-4 days per week and use the weights room on the side.

However, for people looking for 2-3 classes a week, stuff like Judo and amateur Boxing was nearly always cheaper, taught on a non-profit basis and often available from a tax-subsidised university club.
              !!RENT SPACE HERE FOR 10 VBUCKS PER LINE PER MONTH!!

!! PM ME FOR SPEEDY SERVICE !!

Sponsored by our first customer: Repulsive Monkey

I <3 Sirc.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I actually did come across Spartak and Hank Kraft in Queens in my
                search for a Judo school, but the location and scheduling is a factor for me. I
                was looking for something closer to work in Manhattan (as close to 5th Ave/30th
                Street) since I get off around 6pm.

I've already paid the registration and a month's classes at Empire Budokai, so for
                now I'll just do that for now and see if I can find another school after a month or
                two. I don't think my current instructor is ripping us off or anything; she has to
                pay to rent out a space in Manhattan and class size is pretty small - it's just that I
                think that for once a week $105 is pretty high. Especially after hearing from
                people on these forums that Judo is usually less expensive than other schools.

Comment

I've already paid the registration and a month's classes at Empire Budokai, so for
                  now I'll just do that for now and see if I can find another school after a month or
                  two. I don't think my current instructor is ripping us off or anything; she has to
                  pay to rent out a space in Manhattan and class size is pretty small - it's just that I
                  That's the blessing and curse of training in cities. The price is rediculous but you usually have a great selection of top-notch schools.

I live in the suburbs so there's really only one choice for my Aikido and Judo training. Luckily, it's incredibly cheap and has great teachers as well. At my Aikido dojo it's 85 a month for unlimited classes (8 classes a week). For Judo, I can pay 78 a month for unlimited classes taught by a 7th-dan which includes 4 classes of Judo, 2 classes of Karate, 3 classes of Aiki-jutsu, and miscellaneous other mat time a week. Unfortunately, I'm also taking a computer programming class which is eating up a lot of my time so I'm only training 2 nights a week at each place max.

Comment

At my Aikido dojo it's 85 a month for unlimited classes
                    I really wish I had something pithy to post in response to this.
                    It's hard with the tears from all the laughing though.

Comment

Like I said it all depends where you live and where you train.

In Sydney, Judo is normally very cheap and BJJ is normally expensive. My Judo club has raised the price to $50- per month. But thats for training twice per week which means it costs about $6.25 per lesson which is good.

If your in Manhattan then yeah, different story. New York City is one of the most expensive places on earth. If you can't find anything els then just stick to that. It maybe pricey but at least your getting good training for the "cheapest" available price.
                      Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Hey Hannibal, where do you train judo in Sydney?

Comment

rokutanda posted.
                          but the location and scheduling is a factor for me. I was looking for something closer to work in Manhattan (as close to 5th Ave/30th Street) since I get off around 6pm.
                          How far are you willing to travel? If you want 30th street, you probably don't have that much choice. But there are other places in Manhattan.

rokutanda posted.
                          It is just that I think that for once a week $105 is pretty high. Especially after hearing from people on these forums that Judo is usually less expensive than other schools.
                          $105 for 1x a week is probably a decent rate for BJJ in NYC. But it is slightly on the high end for Judo even for NYC. Of course, one reason it might be on the high end is because of the smaller class sizes (which in theory means more personal attention).

Comment

I was recently told while at TorontoBJJ that if someone is a black belt in judo and decide to take BJJ, they will be skipped past white belt to blue, its the equivalent to a judo black belt.

Comment

Originally posted by SevSB
                              I was recently told while at TorontoBJJ that if someone is a black belt in judo and decide to take BJJ, they will be skipped past white belt to blue, its the equivalent to a judo black belt.
                              Unless the instructor himself told you this, I'd treat that statement as hearsay. A third dan in Judo started training at my dojo around the same time as I did. He started out as a white belt just like the rest of us. A white belt who could choke out many blue belts, but a white belt just the same.

Each BJJ place tends to have their own criteria for rank advancement though so it's definitely possible.
                              Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Yes, that would suggest he is at their level, or even higher because he does have prior knowlege on submissions, positioning etc.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X