X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bob
    replied
    Originally posted by UpaLumpa
    This really isn't as true as you'd think, though I don't know if it has ever been brought up on this forum.

Unlimited at my school is 110/month. That's pretty common. A lot of judo schools are (supposedly) in the 30-50 range. Horrible discrepancy huh?

Not really, my school offers 15 hours of class time (plus most evening classes go over by a halfhour) per week.

If I were paying that (I'm actually grandfathered in at a lower rate), even my 7-12 hours per week of class time has me paying only around 3 bucks for an hour.

You'll often end up paying the same or less at many bjj schools than you would for judo.
    That's fair enough - assuming you have 7-12 hours spare per week. I think you'll find the majority of people with jobs/study/family etc. just don't have anywhere near that

Leave a comment:

• babo78
    replied
    Originally posted by GoJu - Joe
    It might be a height thing as I am just under 6 2" an usually taller than the people I am grappling with. Clinching and underhooks seem to work better for me.

Originally posted by RaiNnyX4
    I have the same height problem. I have found the following throws to be useful when you're much taller than the other person.

Uchi-mata, Harai-goshi, Tsuri-goshi, Tai-otoshi, Hiza-guruma, Sumi-gaeshi, Sasae-tsuri-komi-ashi, and De-ashi-harai.

If you're taller than the other person you should really be fighting for a dominant over the shoulder/behind the neck grip. Having a lower grip underneath the arm and around the waist is in general going to be detrimental for throwing if you're taller.
    damn you round eyes are tall! *insert humor*

u tall guys have other advantage too. tall ppl like u guys usually have longer reach and against short ppl like me. it sucked goat balls fighting for grips and getting stiff armed during execution techniques.

Leave a comment:

• RaiNnyX4
    replied
    Originally posted by GoJu - Joe
    I know a lot of Judo throws (although I don't practice them enough) but I have found the few Grecco style take downs to be much easier and more effective for me in grappling.

It might be a height thing as I am just under 6 2" an usually taller than the people I am grappling with. Clinching and underhooks seem to work better for me.

Even my hip throws look more Grecco as I go under the arm or over the head and never around the waist.
    I have the same height problem. I have found the following throws to be useful when you're much taller than the other person.

Uchi-mata, Harai-goshi, Tsuri-goshi, Tai-otoshi, Hiza-guruma, Sumi-gaeshi, Sasae-tsuri-komi-ashi, and De-ashi-harai.

If you're taller than the other person you should really be fighting for a dominant over the shoulder/behind the neck grip. Having a lower grip underneath the arm and around the waist is in general going to be detrimental for throwing if you're taller.

Leave a comment:

• Goju - Joe
    replied
    I know a lot of Judo throws (although I don't practice them enough) but I have found the few Grecco style take downs to be much easier and more effective for me in grappling.

Even my hip throws look more Grecco as I go under the arm or over the head and never around the waist.

Leave a comment:

• UpaLumpa
    replied
    Originally posted by bornsceptic
    Judo also seems to have the advantage of being a lot cheaper almost universally, and in many cases almost non-profit.
    What is it with BJJ that everyone feels the need to charge top dollar? Supply and demand I suppose, given the lack of BJJ Black and Brown belts around.
    This really isn't as true as you'd think, though I don't know if it has ever been brought up on this forum.

Unlimited at my school is 110/month. That's pretty common. A lot of judo schools are (supposedly) in the 30-50 range. Horrible discrepancy huh?

Not really, my school offers 15 hours of class time (plus most evening classes go over by a halfhour) per week.

If I were paying that (I'm actually grandfathered in at a lower rate), even my 7-12 hours per week of class time has me paying only around 3 bucks for an hour.

You'll often end up paying the same or less at many bjj schools than you would for judo.

Leave a comment:

• GoldenJonas
    replied
    Originally posted by jnp
    2. If you had performed a cursory search, you would have found the many existing threads tangentially answering your question. Most BS members would prefer if newer members made greater use of the Search Function. The Search Function tab is located at the center and top of every page, along with the other Forum User Controls. I admit this search would have taken some serious digging to find applicable answers, which leads me to..
    Most BS Members don't know what "tangentially" means.....{GJ flips JNP a quarter for his use of a five sylable word}

Leave a comment:

• War Wizard
    replied
    Originally posted by El Macho
    That's because simians have the real jiu-jitsu. Just ask Ashida Kim :)
    Muahahaha... good one.

Leave a comment:

• Teh El Macho
    replied
    Originally posted by Hitman
    For self-defense, I'm always a big fan of monkey stomping someone after they are thrown, but unfortunately simian tactics are not recognized as valid techniques by the Kodokan.
    That's because simians have the real jiu-jitsu. Just ask Ashida Kim :)

Leave a comment:

• SuperShmoe
    replied
    Originally posted by RoninPimp
    This thread hurts my brain...Ignorence must indeed be bliss...
    Can you please take a moment to enlighten us all please? It's kind of like dangling a dog treat over a puppy and not giving it to him. Why are you mean to puppies? :icon_cry:

Leave a comment:

• War Wizard
    replied
    For self-defense, I'm always a big fan of monkey stomping someone after they are thrown, but unfortunately simian tactics are not recognized as valid techniques by the Kodokan.

Leave a comment:

• PirateJon
    replied
    Originally posted by bornsceptic
    This is interesting stuff. I'm thinking of starting a grappling style to complement my stand-up, mainly for self defence.
    This is a misconception a lot of people have. I had it too until I started bjj. The misconception that taking a "stand up art" and also taking a "grappling" art will be the same as training 'MMA'. This is not at all correct, and if you're talking sd or pro/am fighting, that's where the difference is important. To use a horrible car analogy, it would be like training in "steering" and "braking" and expecting to know how to drive a car.

Sure if there's no MMA place around you, train both separately, but be aware of the limitations.

Leave a comment:

• FictionPimp
    replied
    Our bjj club has brought in boxing, judo, MT, and other coaches to help teach us to fill the holes in our game.

Leave a comment:

• PointyShinyBurn
    replied
    Some BJJ schools will teach a solid takedown game, some won't. I suggest you check out the local ones and find out for yourself rather than relying on broad generalisations.

Leave a comment:

• bob
    replied
    This is interesting stuff. I'm thinking of starting a grappling style to complement my stand-up, mainly for self defence. I had a suspicion that BJJ seemed to have a missing link somewhere - ie what do you do between standing and the ground - and what's been said here seems to confirm that.
    I might give judo a try, then add BJJ at a later date when I have the time to devote to it. Judo also seems to have the advantage of being a lot cheaper almost universally, and in many cases almost non-profit.
    What is it with BJJ that everyone feels the need to charge top dollar? Supply and demand I suppose, given the lack of BJJ Black and Brown belts around.
    Do any of you judoka have advice about what to look for in a school - apart from the obvious like good instructors and plenty of realistic sparring.

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    If you lift someone up and dump them had on concrete, I very much doubt they will be in a hurry to get up real quick.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X