BJJ and Judo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bornsceptic
    Judo also seems to have the advantage of being a lot cheaper almost universally, and in many cases almost non-profit.
    What is it with BJJ that everyone feels the need to charge top dollar? Supply and demand I suppose, given the lack of BJJ Black and Brown belts around.
    This really isn't as true as you'd think, though I don't know if it has ever been brought up on this forum.

Unlimited at my school is 110/month. That's pretty common. A lot of judo schools are (supposedly) in the 30-50 range. Horrible discrepancy huh?

Not really, my school offers 15 hours of class time (plus most evening classes go over by a halfhour) per week.

If I were paying that (I'm actually grandfathered in at a lower rate), even my 7-12 hours per week of class time has me paying only around 3 bucks for an hour.

You'll often end up paying the same or less at many bjj schools than you would for judo.

Comment

I know a lot of Judo throws (although I don't practice them enough) but I have found the few Grecco style take downs to be much easier and more effective for me in grappling.

It might be a height thing as I am just under 6 2" an usually taller than the people I am grappling with. Clinching and underhooks seem to work better for me.

Even my hip throws look more Grecco as I go under the arm or over the head and never around the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJu - Joe
        I know a lot of Judo throws (although I don't practice them enough) but I have found the few Grecco style take downs to be much easier and more effective for me in grappling.

It might be a height thing as I am just under 6 2" an usually taller than the people I am grappling with. Clinching and underhooks seem to work better for me.

Even my hip throws look more Grecco as I go under the arm or over the head and never around the waist.
        I have the same height problem. I have found the following throws to be useful when you're much taller than the other person.

Uchi-mata, Harai-goshi, Tsuri-goshi, Tai-otoshi, Hiza-guruma, Sumi-gaeshi, Sasae-tsuri-komi-ashi, and De-ashi-harai.

If you're taller than the other person you should really be fighting for a dominant over the shoulder/behind the neck grip. Having a lower grip underneath the arm and around the waist is in general going to be detrimental for throwing if you're taller.

Comment

Originally posted by GoJu - Joe

Originally posted by RaiNnyX4
          I have the same height problem. I have found the following throws to be useful when you're much taller than the other person.

Uchi-mata, Harai-goshi, Tsuri-goshi, Tai-otoshi, Hiza-guruma, Sumi-gaeshi, Sasae-tsuri-komi-ashi, and De-ashi-harai.

If you're taller than the other person you should really be fighting for a dominant over the shoulder/behind the neck grip. Having a lower grip underneath the arm and around the waist is in general going to be detrimental for throwing if you're taller.
          damn you round eyes are tall! *insert humor*

u tall guys have other advantage too. tall ppl like u guys usually have longer reach and against short ppl like me. it sucked goat balls fighting for grips and getting stiff armed during execution techniques.

Comment

Originally posted by UpaLumpa
            This really isn't as true as you'd think, though I don't know if it has ever been brought up on this forum.

Unlimited at my school is 110/month. That's pretty common. A lot of judo schools are (supposedly) in the 30-50 range. Horrible discrepancy huh?

Not really, my school offers 15 hours of class time (plus most evening classes go over by a halfhour) per week.

If I were paying that (I'm actually grandfathered in at a lower rate), even my 7-12 hours per week of class time has me paying only around 3 bucks for an hour.

You'll often end up paying the same or less at many bjj schools than you would for judo.
            That's fair enough - assuming you have 7-12 hours spare per week. I think you'll find the majority of people with jobs/study/family etc. just don't have anywhere near that

Comment

That's fair enough - assuming you have 7-12 hours spare per week. I think you'll find the majority of people with jobs/study/family etc. just don't have anywhere near that
              I imagine people who have time to watch on average four hours a day of television (http://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html) could probably make 7 hours a week of time if they were really interested.
              Originally posted by Osiris
              Imagine if track was run like the martial arts community. While the winning teams would just sprint down the field, smoking the competition, you'd have a bunch of losers running around explaining how they can skip down the track just as fast. Never mind that it doesn't fucking work. Oh no, they're too fast for track. They run on the STREET.

Comment

Perhaps - I can't comment as I don't really watch television. I do have a job, mortgage and 16 week old son though.

Comment

Moot. The point is on a per hour basis bjj isn't often more expensive than anything else.

Also, You don't have a spare hour a day?
                  I doubt it.
                  How often do you train in your kung fu then?

Comment

Moot. The point is on a per hour basis bjj isn't often more expensive than anything else.

Bullshit. That all depends where you live.

I've shopped around at a few places that teach BJJ.

To train in BJJ 2-3 times a week sets you back $100 - $120 per month.

To train in Judo 2-3 times per week sets you back $50 per month.

Can you do simple mathamatics ?
                    Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Also, You don't have a spare hour a day?
                      I doubt it.
                      How often do you train in your kung fu then?
                      lol - oh for a spare hour. You obviously don't have kids. I can manage 4-5 hours of kung fu on a good week, including my own training at home.

Seriously, i'm not trying to start a flame war about BJJ cost. If you're paying it and you're happy good luck to you. The point is it only becomes economical if you can afford a fair bit of time - which I can't. As I said, I hope to do it at a later date when I can commit to it better.

It just seemed to me when i did a bit of net research that BJJ schools were almost always amongst the most expensive, in my city at least (apart from those dodgy places catering to the corporate clientele - "give me lots of money and I will make you a corporate killing machine"). From the attitude of most of the people on this site, they seem to feel that it's worth it, though. There's nothing wrong with paying more, providing the quality is there.

Incidentally, is this a case of <gasp> BJJ Bullshido?
                      http://www.vt1gym.com/what.htm#Brazilian

Comment

Yeah ?

WHat about that BJJ/MMA place ? Bullshido or not ?

They teach shoot boxing and BJJ. My understanding is shootboxing is Muay Thai mixed in with Judo takedowns and throws. The guys running that place are both champions. They have kids classes but don't most places ?
                        Hannibal: The sworn enemy of dishonest politicians, source of entertainment on Bullshido and newly appointed Office Linebacker. Terry Tait ain't got shit on me !!!!

Comment

Actually, I was referring to the claim "one year in BJJ is the same as ten in ANY other art"....?
                          Also, "proven to be the most effective form of hand to hand combat in the Ultimate Fighting Championships" is debatable.

Comment

What's the weather like back in the 90's ?
                            More human than human is our motto.

Comment

Originally posted by fanatical
                              What's the weather like back in the 90's ?
                              I'd guess kinda chilly what with all the flannel.
                              You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Comment

Actually, I was referring to the claim "one year in BJJ is the same as ten in ANY other art"....?
                                Also, "proven to be the most effective form of hand to hand combat in the Ultimate Fighting Championships" is debatable.
                                Don't mistake aggresive marketing for Bullshido. Many martial arts sites make either outdated or downright ridiculous claims to attract more students.

If they won the tournaments/matches they claim to have won and the grappling brother is at least a blue or purple in BJJ, they are most likely not Bullshido.

That said, the claim that one year in BJJ being worth ten in any other is mostly (Yellow Bamboo anyone?) ridiculous, and many MMA fans are now quite aware of BJJ's limitations in organizations like the UFC or Pride.

Edit: FYI I have a 21 month old and I manage to train about 4-6 hrs a week. Although this would not be possible without my wife's help.
                                Shut the hell up and train.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X