Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ojgsxr6
    replied
    rokutanda, I don't know how far you are from Rego Park but Spartak Judo is in Queens and I heard they are hardcore Russian Judo blackbelts.

They are on the list of schools I want to check out.

Edit: it's not Spartan Judo it's Spartak Judo, and it's not in Ozone Park it's Rego Park, whoops.

Spartak Sport Club
    64-34 99 Street, Rego Park, NY 11374
    Sensei: Arkadiy Aronov
    (718) 459-4800
    Schedule: M/W 7-8:30, T/R 4-8:30, Sun 10-2
    Last edited by ojgsxr6; 7/14/2006 1:40pm, .

Leave a comment:

• RaiNnyX4
    replied
    Originally posted by rokutanda
    I wish I could find a place in NYC where Judo is about $50/month. I've done the
    google searches, not too many schools in Manhattan. I'm paying $105 for 1
    class a week, plus a one-time $80 registration fee to the sensei and another
    $50 registration fee to the Judo association.. Other schools are $400/20
    classes within 3 months, I think you have to pay upfront...

If anyone in NYC know of an inexpensive judo school that has classes on
    Tuesdays and Thursdays (I'm training BJJ M, W, F), please let me know!
    My girlfriend was training out with Hank Kraft at http://queensjudocenter.com/ for 50 bucks a month I think. She was going on Wednesdays I believe though. Still, you might want to check it out. Places in Queens are probably much cheaper than Manhattan.

Leave a comment:

• Teh El Macho
    replied
    Judo schools in South Florida run about $25 to $50, usually with 3 to 4 classes a week, 2 hours each. The one I used to go was $60 with training 6 times a week (or 5 during tourneys), 2 hours per class. But those are the exception rather than the rule.

From what've gather, one would be lucky to find a judo school that trains more than twice a week. The reason for that is that, again, they are non-profit organizations - instructors that volunteer to teach and run the school. It's not a source of income, and there is a limit on how many nights a week a non-profit instructor can give.

If Judo schools were to be run as commercial venues, I would suspect the price would be comparable to your average BJJ school. In fact, I would suspect that any school that charges less than $120+ for unlimited access to 4-5 classes a week is running just above the red line, seriously.

*** PS ***

NY and LA seem to compete in being expensive. Rokutanda, $105 for one class a week seems ridiculously high to be honest. If you love the training in that school, then good, but I think you are getting the short end of the stick there.

Leave a comment:

• rokutanda
    replied
    Originally posted by Hannibal

To train in BJJ 2-3 times a week sets you back $100 - $120 per month.

To train in Judo 2-3 times per week sets you back $50 per month.
    I wish I could find a place in NYC where Judo is about $50/month. I've done the
    google searches, not too many schools in Manhattan. I'm paying $105 for 1
    class a week, plus a one-time $80 registration fee to the sensei and another
    $50 registration fee to the Judo association.. Other schools are $400/20
    classes within 3 months, I think you have to pay upfront...

If anyone in NYC know of an inexpensive judo school that has classes on
    Tuesdays and Thursdays (I'm training BJJ M, W, F), please let me know!

Leave a comment:

• UpaLumpa
    replied
    Originally posted by Hannibal
    Can you do simple mathamatics ?
    Do you know what often means you insufferable idiot?
    Do you know that bjj classes are often ~2 hours?
    In short, STFU.

Originally posted by bornsceptic
    The point is it only becomes economical if you can afford a fair bit of time - which I can't.
    Absolutely, unless you factor in quality which makes it far more economical far sooner. Particularly considering that 1 year of bjj = 10 year of most other arts.

Leave a comment:

• jnp
    replied
    Actually, I was referring to the claim "one year in BJJ is the same as ten in ANY other art"....?
    Also, "proven to be the most effective form of hand to hand combat in the Ultimate Fighting Championships" is debatable.
    Don't mistake aggresive marketing for Bullshido. Many martial arts sites make either outdated or downright ridiculous claims to attract more students.

If they won the tournaments/matches they claim to have won and the grappling brother is at least a blue or purple in BJJ, they are most likely not Bullshido.

That said, the claim that one year in BJJ being worth ten in any other is mostly (Yellow Bamboo anyone?) ridiculous, and many MMA fans are now quite aware of BJJ's limitations in organizations like the UFC or Pride.

Edit: FYI I have a 21 month old and I manage to train about 4-6 hrs a week. Although this would not be possible without my wife's help.

Leave a comment:

• PirateJon
    replied
    Originally posted by fanatical
    What's the weather like back in the 90's ?
    I'd guess kinda chilly what with all the flannel.

Leave a comment:

• fanatical
    replied
    What's the weather like back in the 90's ?

Leave a comment:

• bob
    replied
    Actually, I was referring to the claim "one year in BJJ is the same as ten in ANY other art"....?
    Also, "proven to be the most effective form of hand to hand combat in the Ultimate Fighting Championships" is debatable.

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    Yeah ?

WHat about that BJJ/MMA place ? Bullshido or not ?

They teach shoot boxing and BJJ. My understanding is shootboxing is Muay Thai mixed in with Judo takedowns and throws. The guys running that place are both champions. They have kids classes but don't most places ?

Leave a comment:

• bob
    replied
    Originally posted by UpaLumpa
    Moot. The point is on a per hour basis bjj isn't often more expensive than anything else.

Also, You don't have a spare hour a day?
    I doubt it.
    How often do you train in your kung fu then?
    lol - oh for a spare hour. You obviously don't have kids. I can manage 4-5 hours of kung fu on a good week, including my own training at home.

Seriously, i'm not trying to start a flame war about BJJ cost. If you're paying it and you're happy good luck to you. The point is it only becomes economical if you can afford a fair bit of time - which I can't. As I said, I hope to do it at a later date when I can commit to it better.

It just seemed to me when i did a bit of net research that BJJ schools were almost always amongst the most expensive, in my city at least (apart from those dodgy places catering to the corporate clientele - "give me lots of money and I will make you a corporate killing machine"). From the attitude of most of the people on this site, they seem to feel that it's worth it, though. There's nothing wrong with paying more, providing the quality is there.

Incidentally, is this a case of <gasp> BJJ Bullshido?
    http://www.vt1gym.com/what.htm#Brazilian

Leave a comment:

• Hannibal
    replied
    Originally posted by UpaLumpa
    Moot. The point is on a per hour basis bjj isn't often more expensive than anything else.

Bullshit. That all depends where you live.

I've shopped around at a few places that teach BJJ.

To train in BJJ 2-3 times a week sets you back $100 - $120 per month.

To train in Judo 2-3 times per week sets you back $50 per month.

Can you do simple mathamatics ?

Leave a comment:

• UpaLumpa
    replied
    That's fair enough - assuming you have 7-12 hours spare per week. I think you'll find the majority of people with jobs/study/family etc. just don't have anywhere near that

Also, You don't have a spare hour a day?
    I doubt it.
    How often do you train in your kung fu then?

Leave a comment:

• bob
    replied
    Perhaps - I can't comment as I don't really watch television. I do have a job, mortgage and 16 week old son though.

Leave a comment:

• Samfoo
    replied
    That's fair enough - assuming you have 7-12 hours spare per week. I think you'll find the majority of people with jobs/study/family etc. just don't have anywhere near that
    I imagine people who have time to watch on average four hours a day of television (http://www.csun.edu/science/health/docs/tv&health.html) could probably make 7 hours a week of time if they were really interested.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X