How long 'till Chi-Sao?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How long 'till Chi-Sao?

There hasn't been a new _ing _un post in over a week (that's a freakin' long time, considering) and I've been wanting to ask this for a while now. Lots of you took some form of _ing _un at some time, especially lots of the guys around here who hate it. Anyway, I've spoken with people who started chi sao on their very first day, and I know of schools that don't start until after about two years.

So what I was wonding, both from actual chunners and from people who didn't like it, was how long did the average student where you went/go, who comes a couple of times a week, take to be opened to chi sao?

A. What's wrong with you? We start chi sao on the very first class!
    B. Um... like... within the first month.
    C. Maybe around the three month mark?
    D. 6 months.
    E. It takes a while, but under a year, definately.
    F. A year... if they come regularly. Else it can be even longer.
    G. Like, a frickin' long time. Noobs.

Dagon (whose school would answer "F") :ingun:

P.S. I put this in YMAS because obviously if you don't have the same answer as me then Y__S.

P.P.S. If this could be made into a poll, that'd be sweet. (Add a "H. Fuck _ing _un. Wash it off before you contract herpagonnorsyphilAIDS from all that sticky hands" option).
    What's wrong with you? We started chi sao on the very first class!
    21.43%
    Um... like... within the first month.
    28.57%
    Maybe around the three month mark?
    14.29%
    6 months.
    7.14%
    It takes a while, but under a year, definately.
    7.14%
    A year... if they come regularly. Else it can be even longer.
    14.29%
    Like, a frickin' long time. Noobs.
    7.14%
    Last edited by Dagon Akujin; 7/11/2006 2:12am, .

A for my place

Comment

My main school, took about 3 months to get to single chi sau, and 6 or something for doubles.

I think you need some foundation at least.
      Imports from Japan, Shipping Worldwide! Art Junkie, Scramble, BJJ Spirits, Reversal...
      Scramble Stuff

Comment

Within six months if you look at the grading structure with the order in which things should be taught... so even though that's not really blindly followed, I'll go with D.

Regards,

mja
        Last edited by mja; 7/12/2006 11:34am, .

Comment

Whats Chi Sau?

Seriously, its a pretty vauge term. Do you really mean how long untill you get Poon Sau? As in full double rolling arm stuff?

In WT you get some sensitivity training from the first lesson, generally escapes from when your wrist is grabbed. Feeling the grab is the trigger, so it is sensitivity training. You also get the Tan punch and Pak punch drill, with someone feeding in attacks to trigger the tan or pak within the first week too, plus many other sensitivity drills right off the bat. Actual Single Arm Chi Sau work, Formal Chi Sau drills general start after a few weeks.

WT also uses chain punching against chain punching drills called Laut sau to develope sensitivity. Does that count? It has elements of Chi Sau in it? You do that alot before you get to formal Double Arm rolling exercises after 6 months to a year. It depends of the students skills really. I have seen some people in WT take a couple years to get to 6th Student Grade and atart Rolling Poon Sau. But those guys had great sensitivity at Laut Sau. You kinda need to learn to fiht without Poon Sau first, atleast basic punching and kicking.

In EBMAS you start Single Arm Chi Sau on the first lesson. Our Single Arm Program introduces alternating sides and Arms early and so it is almost double arm chi sau after about 4 to 6 months, plus footwork. We have double heun saus with three attacks about this time as well, but not quite rolling yet as they can not do Bong Sau in this drill. Actual "official" Poon Sau (Double Arms with Bong Sau and entering step) starts after this, about 6 months to 9 months in. Some people may even take up to year to get to this point.

But there is so much other stuff to learn anyway.

A better question/poll would be "how long untill you do some kind of sparring?"

EBMAS- 3 months

Ofcoarse that is only the Program, we generally do stuff with students earlier just a few times as a glimpse, so they understand what they are working up to.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
          Until the Bulltube is fixed:
          DTT vs Sirc

Comment

The place I got to offers Kung-Fu and sometimes I stay after JJ to work the bag, they have had some new people in recently and yeah, they start off Chi Sau within the first two weeks at least.

Just like the basic stuff though, nothing overly complicated.

Comment

Poon Sau sounds so awesome! Here is a great example of some WC lingo with extremely terrible spelling, forgive my engrish:

'I got some poon sau last night, and I lop saud my tongue sau into her poon sau for hours until she pak saud my ju jong.'

Yeah, I rule!!! Who else has got some WC lingo?

Comment

Originally posted by Duke_of_Pain

Fook'em if they can't take a Juht.
                Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
                "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
                Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
                Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
                Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
                Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
                Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
                I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
                TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
                ATTN TOM KAGAN
                World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
                Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
                I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
                Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

At my school you begin single within the first couple of classes. Double begins after three to four months.

Comment

Originally posted by Duke_of_Pain
                    Poon Sau sounds so awesome! Here is a great example of some WC lingo with extremely terrible spelling, forgive my engrish:

'I got some poon sau last night, and I lop saud my tongue sau into her poon sau for hours until she pak saud my ju jong.'

ROTFLMAO!

I was thinking along those lines.

I stuck my Chi Sausage into her Poon Sau! :new_popco
                    People often tell me that I fail to see the gravity of the situation.
                    I see the gravity, and I say...

Step right up folks and watch me defy gravity!

Comment

I went two/three times a week for a solid year with private lessons for the last six months and i never even got into the double hand chi sau stance once.

just so many hours of siu nim tao and shingyi bullshit.

Comment

Single hand should start in the first few classes...it accompanies learning the 1st form.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
                          Do you really mean how long untill you get Poon Sau?
                          lol - he said 'Poon'.

Sticky hands indeed.
                          "You know what I like about you, William? You like guns AND meditation."

Comment

Single after maybe 4-5 months, Double after 12-24 months

Comment

Chi Sau started in green sash - at least a year.

When I started there 10 years ago it was in blue sash which took about 4 months to get to. When I returned after my 6 year break, they had moved a bunch of stuff to later in the curriculum.

I'm guessing they were losing too many students when they had to do something harder than compliant drills and one-step sparring, more revenue per customer if you can keep them busy for a year or so.

Same reason they don't spar except for brown and black sash testing - punching scares paying customers away.

This was weird non-classical WC though. We didn't have any forms and did Chi Sau with full forward pressure, more like JKD trapping or something. I don't know how this compares to other _ing _un.
                              Originally posted by Dinosaur AMP
                              You just can't go wrong when your getting armbar'd to Flogging Molly while a fire fighter is cursing at you in the background. Good stuff!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X