Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kxfour
    replied
    About 5 months, and right after that we got into siu lim tao, and right after that I realized that it was complete BULLSHIT and took up a MMA+BJJ regiment at a real school.

Leave a comment:

• Southpaw
    replied
    Originally posted by RunningDog
    Join the club. It's humbling but cool being a newbie again isn't it? I rip the piss out of Wing Chun now, but there's some stuff I like. It's not what they sell it as though, and I don't know about you, but I'm annoyed at myself for buying into some of the stupider claims chunners make about their style.
    It is definitely cool. I forgot how fast you learn when you are getting your ass kicked.

I have mentioned before that I am very lucky to have a sifu that encourages us to question everything we are told. This is a belief he emphasizes on a regular basis, and one of the reasons he sold me on the school from the beginning.

I'm not saying my school is perfect, but we (or some of we) have never believed in the ultimate superiority of wing chun. Before I found wing chun I learned my lessons about fighting, so perhaps that is the difference between me and more green wing chun students?

But hey...I can use my chi sao skills to help prevent collar chokes when someone takes my back! :icon_chee

Leave a comment:

• ViciousFlamingo
    replied
    Join the club. It's humbling but cool being a newbie again isn't it? I rip the piss out of Wing Chun now, but there's some stuff I like. It's not what they sell it as though, and I don't know about you, but I'm annoyed at myself for buying into some of the stupider claims chunners make about their style.
    I enjoy the feeling of being a newbie, with the potential to learn a shitload about systems that are known to be effective and can be demonstrated as such. I don't have to worry so much about whether or not my arm is exactly 45 degrees perpendicular to my centerline or some shit and I have to go run to my instructor for correction. If I screw up a move on the ground it won't work and I can correct myself until it does work properly, and all the corrections I get from the instructor can be explained really easily and they make noticeable improvement to my technique.

I don't feel wing chun is a big part of my martial arts nowadays, but things might be different for others if they trained more effectively or some such. I kinda look at WC nowadays as, well, sure, I could try converting the system to work for me, but why bother when there's boxing, MT, and kickboxing to learn?

Leave a comment:

• RunningDog
    replied
    Originally posted by Southpaw
    And it was a great decision. There is nothing better than the feeling of starting w/ a blank slate.

Wing Chun will always be a big part of me, but there's a thin line between love and hate. As much as I love the system, I hate the bullshit, of which there are many different kinds.

Leave a comment:

• Southpaw
    replied
    Yeah he calmed way down. Even bought himself a gi... and started BJJ.
    And it was a great decision. There is nothing better than the feeling of starting w/ a blank slate.

Wing Chun will always be a big part of me, but there's a thin line between love and hate. As much as I love the system, I hate the bullshit, of which there are many different kinds.

Leave a comment:

• ViciousFlamingo
    replied
    And by that, you mean he saw the light of Helio and the message spread by his prophets Rickson and Kyra, and joined the side of righteousness and armbars.

Leave a comment:

• RunningDog
    replied
    Originally posted by sochin101
    he's probably calmed down... his post being almost three months old and all.....

Leave a comment:

• Dagon Akujin
    replied
    Now with poll!

Leave a comment:

• Can Opener
    replied
    How long til Chee-Tos???

I'm opening the bag right now.

mmmmmmmmmmmm sodium

Leave a comment:

• K-Ron
    replied
    How does the Sash system work? I'm only used to grades. There's no kinda sash ranking the way i've been taught just 12 student grades then 4 tech grades 4 practioner the 4 master grades. Do you know how this translates to sashes?

Leave a comment:

• sochin101
    replied
    Originally posted by Tonuzaba
    Calm down, dude.
    he's probably calmed down... his post being almost three months old and all.....

mind you, I heard the rage burns deep in the chunners.

Leave a comment:

• Tonuzaba
    replied
    Originally posted by Southpaw
    If you people don't see the relationship between learning single hand chi sao and leanring the SLT form...holy shit...you are fucked.

Seriously...change your schools NOW!

For the love of God.

Fucking killing me.

If you don't learn proper pressure (i.e. chi sao)...when you learn the SLT form...you are simply mimicing arm motions.

Jesus Christ.

You should all quit WC immediatly.

Fuck.
    Calm down, dude.
    There are a lot of things related to each other in WT and understanding all of them is important. S.N.T.-Ch.S. isn't the single most important in my view.
    But anyhow. Calm down.
    Tonuzaba

Leave a comment:

• K-Ron
    replied
    At my club you tend to start Poon Sau (excuse the spelling) rolls in the first three months and then full chi sau within the first year of traing. Where I train we try to keep things moving and then revisit them. I personally try to link all off my training to the chain punch as it gives a simple base to work on. Just the way I was taught and so far it seems to work. Still waiting to trest it fully though. Keep you guys posted if it works in sports Jutsu ( Fingers crossed).

Leave a comment:

• sochin101
    replied
    A+: within about 2 minutes of my first ever wing chun experience.

Our organisation was multi-style, and offered courses. Usually, not what was advertised... I've turned up for freestyle sparring techniques and ended up beating the shit outta my fellow traditional karate dudes with bamboo... I think it was supposed to be escrima, great fun, but I digress.
    Similarly, we turned up for a grappling course and ended up doing kung fu stuff with a really cool guy who tried desperately to teach us the sensitivity required for chi sau... he failed and it was a mixture of slow-mo karate blocks and slapping eachother around the face.
    I'm not proud of our actions. If by any chance he's reading this: Sorry Phil.

Leave a comment:

• PizDoff
    replied
    That's like a totally fake lineage anyways. They do their tan sao all wrong.

A. What's wrong with you? We start chi sao on the very first class!

Start the first class to begin learning sensitivity.
    Then leave that gym and go learn something better and more combat focused.

Leave a comment:

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
X