No announcement yet.

How long 'till Chi-Sao?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It took me about a year with me being the only student two days a week for 4 to 6 hour class time...sounds crazy to shoot right in to it on the first class, but hey to each his own way.

Comment

If you people don't see the relationship between learning single hand chi sao and leanring the SLT form...holy shit...you are fucked.

Seriously...change your schools NOW!

For the love of God.

Fucking killing me.

If you don't learn proper pressure (i.e. chi sao)...when you learn the SLT form...you are simply mimicing arm motions.

Jesus Christ.

You should all quit WC immediatly.

Fuck.

Comment

Hopefully you never start chi sao because you avoid wing chun like a smart person.
        Originally posted by The Wastrel
        I think the forum's traditionally light-handed approach to moderation has become untenable.

Comment

I think the real question you need to ask yourself should be:

Is wing chun hereditary?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
            Whats Chi Sau?

Seriously, its a pretty vauge term.
            I purposely left this very vague. It may be worth people saying what their "chi sao" is like though, since I realize that different places have different ideas about what constitutes it.

The school I'm at starts Tsui Mah (horse-moving) at around 9 months. The purpose is to move the other person back, either by punching them or by pressing into their structure. Basically, if your structure isn't good enough on it's own, you get hit. This is where we start our "hit training". A part of Tsui Mah is called "ragdoll", where you don't even put your hands up, you just get punched to get moved back. It's fun! *cough cough*

Tsui Mah is like Chi Sao, but without trapping or moving to the side. Sometimes only one person is moving in or attacking (though defender can counter if they find an opening), sometimes both are. It's the first drill that is mainly non-compliant, as there are no set patterns (besides the roll), and you can experiment a bit. Teaches you structure, how to move in your structure, how to move the other person's structure, and how to get your structure moved without losing it.

Chi Sao then is a bit more "free-for-all" for a drill. It is not compliant in any way. You are free to test out things and see what does and does not work, though doing so within the guidelines of proper technique will normally be recommended.

You typically learn by going "Oh, that's how you were able to elbow me in the throat and trip me, I shouldn't do that". You typically won't be shown "Ok, this is how you can do that." You are also supposed to start using traps and trying to score multiple hits. You "follow" your opponent after the first hit, driving them back with each punch and keeping them pinned at the same time. Of course, you might want to try sweeping them, twisting their structure, etc., but punching them straight in the chest a few times is normally how it comes out.

Finally, it is better to get "beaten" and maintain good structure/technique than it is to "get away" or "win?" by using bad technique. It's still not a contest, as getting punched in the throat can greatly improve your kung-fu. :eng101:

Originally posted by Tom Kagan
            Fook'em if they can't take a Juht.
            Oh come on Tom! I'm quite curious how it happened back in the olden days, and whether or not I'm an idiot. :eusa_pray

Dagon (F)

Comment

Originally posted by Dagon Akujin
              Oh come on Tom! I'm quite curious how it happened back in the olden days, and whether or not I'm an idiot. :eusa_pray

Dagon (F)

Back in the olden days, we ChiSao'ed to and from school uphill both ways.

Whether or not you are an idiot should be self apparent. You don't need me to confirm or deny it.

:smile:
              Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.
              "Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
              Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
              Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
              Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
              Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
              Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a pussy or just cruising for some
              I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
              TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
              ATTN TOM KAGAN
              World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
              Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
              I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
              Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuma-Gorath
                Hopefully you never start chi sao because you avoid wing chun like a smart person.
                I agree.

My answer to the question is A, but I should also add that I was wasting my time with all that slap boxing crud. When it came down to real fighting what I did was more like kick boxing and wrestling....

Comment

A. But never more then 10 mins at a time in a day.

Hey, I like ChiSau. I believe it has its merits. Teaching sensitivty and maintaining bridge. I do it after more realistic drills. It's also not bad before sparring.

BUT....

One of the Wing Chun "linages" is from a theater troop called "Red Boat" ( think thats right). If i was in a theater troop and wanted to make a fight on the stage look real. Well ChiSau LopSau would do the job nicely.

Now I know nothing... So all you Wing Chun Sifu Super fighters just back down...

Comment

That's like a totally fake lineage anyways. They do their tan sao all wrong.

A. What's wrong with you? We start chi sao on the very first class!

Start the first class to begin learning sensitivity.
                    Then leave that gym and go learn something better and more combat focused.
                    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

https://www.instagram.com/bullshido/

Comment

A+: within about 2 minutes of my first ever wing chun experience.

Our organisation was multi-style, and offered courses. Usually, not what was advertised... I've turned up for freestyle sparring techniques and ended up beating the shit outta my fellow traditional karate dudes with bamboo... I think it was supposed to be escrima, great fun, but I digress.
                      Similarly, we turned up for a grappling course and ended up doing kung fu stuff with a really cool guy who tried desperately to teach us the sensitivity required for chi sau... he failed and it was a mixture of slow-mo karate blocks and slapping eachother around the face.
                      I'm not proud of our actions. If by any chance he's reading this: Sorry Phil.
                      Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

At my club you tend to start Poon Sau (excuse the spelling) rolls in the first three months and then full chi sau within the first year of traing. Where I train we try to keep things moving and then revisit them. I personally try to link all off my training to the chain punch as it gives a simple base to work on. Just the way I was taught and so far it seems to work. Still waiting to trest it fully though. Keep you guys posted if it works in sports Jutsu ( Fingers crossed).

Comment

Originally posted by Southpaw
                          If you people don't see the relationship between learning single hand chi sao and leanring the SLT form...holy shit...you are fucked.

Seriously...change your schools NOW!

For the love of God.

Fucking killing me.

If you don't learn proper pressure (i.e. chi sao)...when you learn the SLT form...you are simply mimicing arm motions.

Jesus Christ.

You should all quit WC immediatly.

Fuck.
                          Calm down, dude.
                          There are a lot of things related to each other in WT and understanding all of them is important. S.N.T.-Ch.S. isn't the single most important in my view.
                          But anyhow. Calm down.
                          Tonuzaba

CLICK & WATCH
                          :
                          I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid shit back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
                          " - by Vorpal

Comment

Originally posted by Tonuzaba
                            Calm down, dude.
                            he's probably calmed down... his post being almost three months old and all.....

mind you, I heard the rage burns deep in the chunners.
                            Where there is only a choice between cowardice and violence, I would advise violence.

Gandhi

Comment

How does the Sash system work? I'm only used to grades. There's no kinda sash ranking the way i've been taught just 12 student grades then 4 tech grades 4 practioner the 4 master grades. Do you know how this translates to sashes?

Comment

How long til Chee-Tos???

I'm opening the bag right now.

mmmmmmmmmmmm sodium

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X