Greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greetings

My name is Duncan Bayne. I'm starting off in AMOK!, and frequent WarriorTalk and Pax Baculum, contributing as best I can given my relative lack of experience.

A number of people whose opinions I rate highly (Phil, for one) are dismissive of your site, however I was quite impressed with your 'punking' of Ashida Kim. So I thought I'd join up & have a look see for myself.

Phil is fat and goofy looking. What do you see in him?

Comment

Originally posted by duncan_bayne
      My name is Duncan Bayne. I'm starting off in AMOK!, and frequent WarriorTalk and Pax Baculum, contributing as best I can given my relative lack of experience.

A number of people whose opinions I rate highly (Phil, for one) are dismissive of your site, however I was quite impressed with your 'punking' of Ashida Kim. So I thought I'd join up & have a look see for myself.
      Well, I'm not trying to Troll a n00b here.

But, we hate Phil. A lot. I mean, Hoooooly shit do we hate him.
      Just search for some of the topics concerning him in various forums.

If you still rate his opinion highly, then I suggest finding another forum as you will only catch a lot of grief here.

Comment

Originally posted by MEGA JESUS-SAN
        Phil is fat and goofy looking. What do you see in him?
        I have to say I'm not used to looking at men in 'that way', so I'm afraid I can't answer your question :-)

Given that I'm more interested in his writing than his appearance, I value his practical, honest, direct approach to matters relating to self defense. I also find his product reviews useful, as they aren't the barely-disguised advertising copy I see in so many other publications.

Comment

HI !!

Welcome to Bullshido . Thank you for registering with us . Can you please describe AMOK! and AMOK!'s training methods ?
          I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
          BILL HICKS,
          1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
          ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Originally posted by Binary
            If you still rate his opinion highly, then I suggest finding another forum as you will only catch a lot of grief here.
            And I don't mean to offend a regular while still a n00b, but - surely it's the validity of my own opinions and knowledge that count?

I mean, if I'm full of crap, call me on it - but handing me out 'a lot of grief' on the basis of my respect for Phil is playing the player, not the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
              HI !!

Welcome to Bullshido . Thank you for registering with us . Can you please describe AMOK! and AMOK!'s training methods ?
              Sure - but bear in mind I'm a near-absolute beginner in AMOK!, so you'd be better off asking someone with some significant experience.

AMOK! is a reality-based self defense system, focusing on the use of blade weapons (but not exclusively; expedient weapons and empty-hand training features prominently as well). It is designed so that one can quickly learn the basics of self defense with a blade, and then refine and expand the techniques learned.

A very strong emphasis is placed upon training mindset - at the seminar I attended, the very first thing we did (after personal introductions and a safety briefing) was spend several minutes sparring. Other areas covered included avoidance, situational awareness and legal aspects of self defense.

The system itself, from what I've learned, is based upon FMA, and is based around a 45-degree stance and 9 basic cutting angles. Again though, I stress I've only just started out in AMOK!, so don't go taking my word as gospel.

Comment

And I don't mean to offend a regular while still a n00b, but - surely it's the validity of my own opinions and knowledge that count?

I mean, if I'm full of crap, call me on it - but handing me out 'a lot of grief' on the basis of my respect for Phil is playing the player, not the ball.
                There is an old addage.

"Who is the idiot?
                The idiot?
                Or the person who listens to them?"

I'm saying that you may infact be a perfectly wise, decent, contributing member (and I am hardly a regular just yet)
                but that here we do not discriminate between
                "I listen to idiots"
                and
                "I am an idiot."

Because so much in MA's it's what you are taught that defines your ability, so the person you accept as a teacher, or in this case the person you think highly of, reflects very poorly upon yourself.

Which is why I say, that if you stay, and do not recant your ways you will be in for a lot of trouble.

P.S. you have a badass name.

Comment

Sure - but bear in mind I'm a near-absolute beginner in AMOK!, so you'd be better off asking someone with some significant experience.

AMOK! is a reality-based self defense system, focusing on the use of blade weapons (but not exclusively; expedient weapons and empty-hand training features prominently as well). It is designed so that one can quickly learn the basics of self defense with a blade, and then refine and expand the techniques learned.

A very strong emphasis is placed upon training mindset - at the seminar I attended, the very first thing we did (after personal introductions and a safety briefing) was spend several minutes sparring. Other areas covered included avoidance, situational awareness and legal aspects of self defense.

The system itself, from what I've learned, is based upon FMA, and is based around a 45-degree stance and 9 basic cutting angles. Again though, I stress I've only just started out in AMOK!, so don't go taking my word as gospel.
                  Amok! sounds alot like my Hapkido/TKD weapons class ... it was the same weapons class on fridays ... Learned some neat stuff .. real seriouse group of semi-clueless fucks . I hope to god you are faring better than I did .

You mentioned "it is based on FMA " . Well I am not alone when I say that , that phrase makes me cringe .

If you could find out more about the roots of AMOK! I would apreciate it greatly . Can you describe an average class . How many times a week do you go to class .

What do you mean when you say "AMOK! is a reality-based self defense system" .What reality are you basing it on ? You state you sparred before technique training at the seminar ... did you get a chance to test the material after it was shown ?
                  I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                  BILL HICKS,
                  1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                  ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Greetings duncan_bayne.
                    As long as you don't bring up the fact that you respect Phil you should be ok. Just be aware that should you ever talk out of your ass, you WILL be called on it. Make sure you have a good argument with well-supported points and you should be fine. And don't take it personally when what you thought was an air-tight argument gets brutally hacked into tiny peices and shat on. It happens, just move on. And welcome to Bullshido.
                    Originally posted by Matt Phillips
                    Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Comment

Amok! sounds alot like my Hapkido/TKD weapons class ... it was the same weapons class on fridays ... Learned some neat stuff .. real seriouse group of semi-clueless fucks . I hope to god you are faring better than I did .

You mentioned "it is based on FMA " . Well I am not alone when I say that , that phrase makes me cringe .

If you could find out more about the roots of AMOK! I would apreciate it greatly . Can you describe an average class . How many times a week do you go to class .

What do you mean when you say "AMOK! is a reality-based self defense system" .What reality are you basing it on ? You state you sparred before technique training at the seminar ... did you get a chance to test the material after it was shown ?
                      Hello ?

Duncan are you there ?
                      BILL HICKS,
                      1961-1994

---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

Please read the Martial Arts FAQ's that can be found on the left side of this page.

Comment

Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
                          Please read the Martial Arts FAQ's that can be found on the left side of this page.
                          Thanks TehDeadly. From his picture it looks like Phil needs to push away from the typewriter and hit the mats.

I don't want financial advise from a guy who drives a Pinto, I don't want religious advice from a hooker (well, maybe if she's hot) and I don't want MA advice from a guy who looks like Phil.

Comment

So, he said calmly and politely, could you give us an example of an opinion, held by Phil, that you rate highly? Cause most people here think he is a poser and a fake, but since we're having a reasonable, adult conversation, I'd be interested in discussing his opinions.

It would make a nice change from just calling people homo etc.
                            Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

Yeah, that was the idea. Bearing in mind it was a seminar, not a programme of regular classes. So we'd start off just "going for it", to use a popular turn of phrase here in N.Z. Then, we'd be introduced to a technique (say, safeguarding), practice it slowly with exaggerated movements, then introduce it into sparring again and see how & if we could make it work.

As far as the background of AMOK! goes, and more detail, check out www.knifefighting.com, in particular the forums, or ask around on other boards (again, especially WT or PB).

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X