Greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hapkido_keith
    I don't think you will find anyone here who would disagree with that, but this is hardly a unique sentiment pioneered by Mr. Elmore. Bullshido itself has a subform dedicated to weapons and armed combat and many bullies are gun owners (I am one myself).
    Sure. I was asked to provide an example of an opinion (not a sentiment) of Phil's that I valued, so I provided one.

Comment

Originally posted by duncan_bayne
      Sure. I was asked to provide an example of an opinion (not a sentiment) of Phil's that I valued, so I provided one.
      Do you admire this opinion, or simply agree with it?
      Originally posted by Matt Phillips
      Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Comment

Do you admire this opinion, or simply agree with it?
        I really don't mean to be obtuse ... but I don't get how one can admire an opinion? Do you mean to ask whether I admire Phil for stating it?

Comment

Okay: Phil has stated that a firearm is the most effective tool of self defense available.

Um, okay, so do you have any examples that don't involve Phil stating the obvious? You said you rated Phil's opinion highly. I presume you had something else in mind besides him wandering around muttering about the sky being blue or the winter being cold.
          Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

I'm going to start a thread in the Bullshido forum so we can adequately discuss the beauty of AMOK!

Comment

Okay: Phil has stated that a firearm is the most effective tool of self defense available.
              I don't know the whole deal with Phil or whatever but that you posted as opinion of Phil...that's not really 'his' opinion. It's one of those very broad things that most people either agree or disagree with.

It's like saying...I value John Doe's opinion and here is an example of his opinon I value.

John Doe stated that abortion is the most effective tool of birth control.

That's not really John Doe's opinion, it's just a value he believes and agrees. It's not uniquely his own opinion. Just his value. What I'm trying to say is, you are not actually valuing his opinion. You are just agreeing with broad statement.

Comment

Phil Elmore here, ready to answer all your questions.

Comment

Originally posted by babo78
                  That's not really John Doe's opinion, it's just a value he believes and agrees. It's not uniquely his own opinion.
                  So you're looking for a unique opinion - an opinion that no-one else has ever had (or at least, ever expressed)?

Comment

So you're looking for a unique opinion - an opinion that no-one else has ever had (or at least, ever expressed)?
                    Sort of. We're looking for something that Phil said/wrote that you tought was insiteful, that made you look at self defense differently, something uniquely identified with Phil that he should be held with more respect than Joe Blow off the street. Saying that firearms are the most effective means of self defense is certainly not an indea unique to Phil, and in fact I'm pretty sure just about anyone who's not batshit crazy that you ask off the street would say the same thing. What did Phil say or do that he should deserve more respect than anyone else here at Bullshido? What makes Phil stand out from other martial artists?
                    Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Comment

Sort of. We're looking for something that Phil said/wrote that you tought was insiteful, that made you look at self defense differently, something uniquely identified with Phil that he should be held with more respect than Joe Blow off the street. Saying that firearms are the most effective means of self defense is certainly not an indea unique to Phil, and in fact I'm pretty sure just about anyone who's not batshit crazy that you ask off the street would say the same thing. What did Phil say or do that he should deserve more respect than anyone else here at Bullshido? What makes Phil stand out from other martial artists?

Put more directly, a lot of talented martial artists around here think Phil is a poser and a joke. Why do you disagree with them?

Comment

Originally posted by Grashnak
                        Put more directly, a lot of talented martial artists around here think Phil is a poser and a joke. Why do you disagree with them?
                        That wasn't the intent of my post. By saying "Phil is a poser and a joke," the burden of proof is on me and I don't want to get into that. I just want to know why this guy likes Phil. What did Phil say that makes Phil stand out as being more respectable than your average guy?

Comment

Because I've never known Phil to misrepresent himself in any way, or to make unsubstantiated claims. On the contrary, from what I have seen, Phil goes out of his way to explicitly state his background, training, experience and skillset. He is also more than willing to engage those who disagree with him in debate on Pax Baculum, in a manner far more polite than I've seen elsewhere (including here, from my brief time as a member).

Furthermore, I particularly value his objectivity when reviewing products; many publications nowadays read like advertising copy, so it's refreshing to see someone actually addressing the shortcomings of products as well as their strengths.

Anyway, as far as a more controversial opinion of Phil's - how about his preference for carrying multiple self-defense weapons on a daily basis? There are a number of good reasons for doing so (provided, of course, it's legal where you live), and yet many people have criticised him for doing so.

Comment

Anyway, as far as a more controversial opinion of Phil's - how about his preference for carrying multiple self-defense weapons on a daily basis? There are a number of good reasons for doing so (provided, of course, it's legal where you live), and yet many people have criticised him for doing so.
                            I suppose it depends on where you live. Advocating that everyone should carry multiple self-defense weapons is a little paranoid. In 40 years, neither I nor anyone I know would have benefited from carrying one, let alone multiple weapons (except time spent in theatres of conflict or failing states but thats different).

Of course, I'm Canadian and we're all happy friendly types. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

I suppose it depends on where you live. Advocating that everyone should carry multiple self-defense weapons is a little paranoid. In 40 years, neither I nor anyone I know would have benefited from carrying one, let alone multiple weapons (except time spent in theatres of conflict or failing states but thats different).
                              I personally know two people who were temporarily hospitalised by separate assaults - mind you, the violent crime stats here in N.Z. are pretty bad. Anyway, neither of those people were armed; had either been (assuming of course that they had a basic understanding of how to use the weapons in question) they would probably have fared much better.

Now, if you're going to carry one weapon, why stop with one? Having multiple weapons helps you if ...

- your primary weapon is inappropriate (especially true in the case of pistols or knives; there may be a situation where a force multiplier is handy, but shooting or cutting your opponent may not be right)

- your primary weapon ceases to function

- your primary weapon is taken from you

- your primary weapon becomes inaccessible (as may well occur during grappling)

So, IMO, if you're going to go armed, you should carry multiple weapons, preferably of varying lethality (e.g. a kubotan and a knife).

Comment

Because I've never known Phil to misrepresent himself in any way, or to make unsubstantiated claims. On the contrary, from what I have seen, Phil goes out of his way to explicitly state his background, training, experience and skillset. He is also more than willing to engage those who disagree with him in debate on Pax Baculum, in a manner far more polite than I've seen elsewhere (including here, from my brief time as a member).

Furthermore, I particularly value his objectivity when reviewing products; many publications nowadays read like advertising copy, so it's refreshing to see someone actually addressing the shortcomings of products as well as their strengths.

Carring weapons around is a personal choice. I live in a bad part of LA and I've never had need for one, but as long as he's not doing anything illegal or attacking innocent people: whatever floats his boat. There's more than a few accusations of him banning and deleting posts of those who try to argue with him on Pax, but I can't prove or disprove anything so I'll leave that alone for now. About his credentials:

Phil is quick to point out that he is the everyman; the non-expert. Then he proceeds to tell you all about what will and will not work in life and death situations. You don't see an inconsistancy here?

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X