Greetings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by duncan_bayne
    As far as the background of AMOK! goes, and more detail, check out www.knifefighting.com, in particular the forums, or ask around on other boards (again, especially WT or PB).

Permit me to be the first to say "BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAA".

If you want to set up your own "tribe", you can buy the accelerated program:

Jesus loves you. I think you're an asshole.

Comment

Originally posted by Grashnak
      Permit me to be the first to say "BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAAA".

If you want to set up your own "tribe", you can buy the accelerated program:
      Perhaps rather than maniacal laughter, you might be a little more eloquent? The idea behind setting up a "tribe", as local study groups are called, is that a bunch of people wanting to learn and practice the style can get together and do so - in a similar way to the way ARMA study groups work.

Comment

Yeah, that was the idea. Bearing in mind it was a seminar, not a programme of regular classes. So we'd start off just "going for it", to use a popular turn of phrase here in N.Z. Then, we'd be introduced to a technique (say, safeguarding), practice it slowly with exaggerated movements, then introduce it into sparring again and see how & if we could make it work.

As far as the background of AMOK! goes, and more detail, check out www.knifefighting.com, in particular the forums, or ask around on other boards (again, especially WT or PB).
        So you are gonna how to knife fight through seminars and distance learning ....

Let me be the second to laugh loudly in your general direction .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

Oh ... * coughs * sorry about that .

For a brief second there I read your post to mean that you were learning how to do some "knifing" via phone , email , and seminars . I must have read that wrong becouse that is one of the silliest things I have ever mis-read in my entire life .

You will communicate directly with Mr. Sotis via email and telephone so you can tell him your objectives and ask him any questions you have. He will custom design a knifing syllabus just for you. And then you go to New England and have a great time pushing your skills to the next level training with him.
        So there are no classes to take ? Is there a DVD course available ... maybe a mass emailed newsletter or something ?

Can you please once again describe the level of training you have had in AMOK! ... and why the hell is there an exclamation mark at the end of it ?

But more to the point ... what is your martial arts expirence in general becouse I think that may explain why you value certain peoples opinion so much .
        I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
        BILL HICKS,
        1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
        ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

This is a troll account.
          Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblackmagic
            This is a troll account.
            I always knew you were.

Comment

Originally posted by BackFistMonkey
              So you are gonna how to knife fight through seminars and distance learning ....

Let me be the second to laugh loudly in your general direction .

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !!!!

Oh ... * coughs * sorry about that .

For a brief second there I read your post to mean that you were learning how to do some "knifing" via phone , email , and seminars . I must have read that wrong becouse that is one of the silliest things I have ever mis-read in my entire life .
              Yes, you did read it wrong(ly). There are regular AMOK! classes throughout the world; the system is especially popular in South Africa and the U.S.A. For those who cannot attend regular classes due to location (such as here in Auckland), one can attend seminars or one-on-one training with qualified instructors.

So there are no classes to take ? Is there a DVD course available ... maybe a mass emailed newsletter or something ?
              Would it make you happier if that was the case? I get the sense that you're hoping to find another Ashida Kim running AMOK!, or something.

Seriously, why the hostility? It's possible to critically discuss & assess claims without being so aggressive. My experience on other (non-MA) fora is that if one treats new posters with aggression, you'll drive them off - unless they're unusually patient, or simply hanging around to pick a fight. Either way, such behaviour doesn't help increase the signal-to-noise ratio of a forum.

Can you please once again describe the level of training you have had in AMOK! ... and why the hell is there an exclamation mark at the end of it ?
              Elementary - one seminar, some one-on-one training with the head of AMOK! in New Zealand). I intend to persue more (a lot more). I get the sense that you think that I think that I'm some kind of badass knifer because I've attended an AMOK! seminar or something - if that's the case, I can assure you you're wrong. As someone here said on a thread discussing AMOK!:

Originally posted by Bluto Blutarsky
              I took a seminar with Tom Sotis of AMOK once, he seemed to focus on learning the most in the least amount of time. IE: if you have a situation that comes up 80% of the time, learn to deal with that type of teqnique first. I guess every amok group probably has thier own philosophies and whatnot, I'm not familiar with thier organization that much.

What I did take was very informative and helpful but it was presented as an intro and not as a "train with me and you will be a knifer in 3 hours" kind of crap.
              As for the exclamation mark, I have no idea, and don't really care. Ask Tom Sotis.
              But more to the point ... what is your martial arts expirence in general becouse I think that may explain why you value certain peoples opinion so much.
              None worth mentioning; as I said, I am starting out in AMOK!. One of the reasons I'm here is that I'm new to all of this, and want to canvas a wide a range of opinions as possible, and contribute what I can.

Comment

Originally posted by Binary
                Because so much in MA's it's what you are taught that defines your ability, so the person you accept as a teacher, or in this case the person you think highly of, reflects very poorly upon yourself.

Which is why I say, that if you stay, and do not recant your ways you will be in for a lot of trouble.
                Again, though: surely it's my own opinions, and my ability to prove them correct, that matter?

E.g. let's say I say "firearms are the most effective self defense tool available". It doesn't matter why I think this; whether I was told this by Phil Elmore, Massad Ayoob, or Baby Jesus.

What matters is whether I can prove the assertion.

If I argue that it's true because Phil says so, or because Massad Ayoob says so", or because Baby Jesus says so, then I'm committing the logical fallacy of "appeal to authority".

And likewise, arguing that I'm wrong because Phil, Ayoob, or Jesus says so too is every bit as fallacious.

To take another example, Hitler was a non-smoker; he considered it unhealthy and disgusting. Does that mean we should criticise non-smokers for holding an opinion identical to that held by one of the most evil men in history, or should we assess the issue on its merits?

Comment

Originally posted by It is Fake??
                  I always knew you were.
                  Harr fucking harr.
                  Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

Yes, you did read it wrong(ly). There are regular AMOK! classes throughout the world; the system is especially popular in South Africa and the U.S.A. For those who cannot attend regular classes due to location (such as here in Auckland), one can attend seminars or one-on-one training with qualified instructors.
                    So you aren't attending classes and have had a grand total of one seminar's worth of experience.
                    Would it make you happier if that was the case? I get the sense that you're hoping to find another Ashida Kim running AMOK!, or something.
                    No my skeptism is simply based on the information presented .
                    Seriously, why the hostility? It's possible to critically discuss & assess claims without being so aggressive.
                    to the point is not agressive .
                    My experience on other (non-MA) fora is that if one treats new posters with aggression, you'll drive them off - unless they're unusually patient, or simply hanging around to pick a fight. Either way, such behaviour doesn't help increase the signal-to-noise ratio of a forum.
                    see above

Elementary - one seminar, some one-on-one training with the head of AMOK! in New Zealand). I intend to persue more (a lot more).
                    May I suggest FMA as well so you have a another view point on knife work .
                    I get the sense that you think that I think that I'm some kind of badass knifer because I've attended an AMOK! seminar or something - if that's the case,
                    I hope you do not think you are a knife fighter ... much less a badass one after one seminar . You would have to fall far beyond my expectations to think either .
                    As for the exclamation mark, I have no idea, and don't really care. Ask Tom Sotis.
                    I will look around before I start sending emails .
                    None worth mentioning; as I said, I am starting out in AMOK!.
                    I would again stress you check out some other sources for the information you are getting . Especialy if you are a MA newbie . Not only to check the information presented but to explore and see if you are in the right Martial Art .
                    One of the reasons I'm here is that I'm new to all of this, and want to canvas a wide a range of opinions as possible, and contribute what I can.
                    Welcome to Bullshido .Your first few posts truely amused me .. excuse me for laughing ... I have been very nice thus far and quite reasonable . This is the play pen . I am simply laughing , asking questions , and giving advise to the best of my ability ...
                    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
                    BILL HICKS,
                    1961-1994

"Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past."
                    ---Jean-Paul Sartre

Comment

To take another example, Hitler was a non-smoker; he considered it unhealthy and disgusting. Does that mean we should criticise non-smokers for holding an opinion identical to that held by one of the most evil men in history, or should we assess the issue on its merits?
                      Godwins law for the win!

"As a thread grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one."
                      There is a tradition in many groups that, once this occurs, that thread is over, and whoever mentioned the Nazis has automatically lost whatever argument was in progress. Godwin's Law thus practically guarantees the existence of an upper bound on thread length."

Comment

Just to help you out DB because you posted in the safety of newbietown.

You are getting slightly frustrated. Notice the one person saying "WE" is not being backed up by anyone else. The others are discussing the merits of the information you have provided.

Binary is relatively new. Notice no one agreed with "WE hate PE," "We don't discriminate between idiots," and the training of P.E.

Some people you have to ignore.

Comment

I am indeed relatively new.

I offically recind my "we comments" and would gladly replace them with "I"s if I were able to go back and edit them.

Also, BlackMagic, what proof do you have that this is a Troll account?

Comment

Originally posted by Grashnak
                            So, he said calmly and politely, could you give us an example of an opinion, held by Phil, that you rate highly? Cause most people here think he is a poser and a fake, but since we're having a reasonable, adult conversation, I'd be interested in discussing his opinions.

It would make a nice change from just calling people homo etc.
                            Okay: Phil has stated that a firearm is the most effective tool of self defense available.

Comment

Okay: Phil has stated that a firearm is the most effective tool of self defense available.
                              Originally posted by Matt Phillips
                              Bullshido is not like the police department, or even POWNET; it really just gets random hard ons and then follows it's dick.

Comment

I hope you do not think you are a knife fighter ... much less a badass one after one seminar . You would have to fall far beyond my expectations to think either.
                                I think, on the basis of attending the seminar and the one-on-one training I've had, that I'd have a slightly elevated chance of successfully defending myself with a knife, compared to my chance before attending said training. But no, I would not describe myself as a 'knife fighter'.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X