TKD as first MA- how many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TKD as first MA- how many?

Hey, just asking how many of you here took TKD as your first MA before moving on to other styles? (since it is apparently the most widely practiced style in the world)

As for me, I too took TKD before doing kali (still a newbie) and even got my obligatory and totally undeserved black belt before finishing puberty too! (ain't it great?). Although to be fair my TKD instructor never claimed he was teaching us combat or self defence nor did he charge high fees.

Anyway, anybody out there with TKD as first MA?

I did TKD first, took 4 years training about 5 days a week- I earned my black belt and proud of it. the week before my test I was called in to talk with the head instructor they told me I wasn't going to be testing they wanted me to work on my sparring.

so for the next three months that's what I did-we did full contact sparring for the test, punches to the head, take downs etc. I had to fight someone from the competition team ie: point sparring. I kicked and punched her from one end of the room to the next. Some TKD schools do teach full contact.

Now I'm training in Hung Gar Kung Fu, it's very different all hands very little kicking but it's very agressive-very short range technidques. I'm short only 5' tall so I'm used to infighting, that was my problem with TKD I would always get yelled at because I would allow myself to take a hit so I could get in. I definately think my background in TKD has helped with the hung gar,, I'm able to pick up some of the principles faster.

Comment

Started TKD in 1977 (12 years old).

Comment

TKD from age 11-17. Then I went to college, stopped living with my parents, and came to my senses.
        -Jordan

Comment

Likewise. TKD from age six to 17. Also was never under the impression that I was learning how to fight. Just punching and kicking and lot of yelling.

Comment

I took TKD when I was 13. At age 14, I already had a blue belt around my waist.

Being the small kid in a hostile high school, I got picked on obviously. And so I had to fight this big bully athletic guy... It was a close quarter fight in the bathroom... floors were a bit slippery... And I lost. :(

Dang if I knew BJJ back then, I woulda triangled him or something. And then he would be crying and begging me for mercy. I wanna rematch tho. If I see him again I swear I'll challenge him to a fight. :)

Comment

I first stepped foot into an ATA TKD school at 6 years old, stayed for 3 months, and then quit. From 9-12, 15-16, as well. The whole time of my ATA stint I was the stereotypical ATA dork: chunky, uncoordinated, and WAY overconfident. I used to fantasize about kicking the asses of all of the rednecks that made fun of me in gym class and at work, thank God I never tried.

My confidence in my skills started to change when i started searching for information on the martial arts, seeing different styles employ different techniques that I had no clue existed. The ATA's quality control sucks so bad that half of the instructors have no clue about what the step sparring and poomsae are supposed to actually represent, and the sparring ruleset that they employ doesnt help people, either. I mean it's pretty fucking ridiculous when you have a black belt in a traditional martial art but dont know how to pull off a simple wrist lock or foot sweep. A fairly useless argument relating to true combat effectiveness, I know, but to claim to teach the full martial art and then churn out fat chumps with sloppy technique and almost no understanding of the history of the art or application of techniques, amongst other things, is just schysty.

Two years later I started studying both kickboxing and bjj, and though there were a few false starts and setbacks along the way, I knew this was the real deal. Lack of money making it impossible to pay for the KB and bjj, i spent some time studying Pentjak Silat, and though by no means a directly effective study of fighting and human aggresion, I think it's got the potential to complement the combat sports I'm already studying somewhere on down the line. And if not, at least I'd know how to fight already.

And that's my happy ending. Even though it'd be happier if i had five hot laotian chicks lying here with me, but I guess You can't have it all.

Comment

Actually, started out in Judo, then kempo, BUT at that time TKD was the only place where they were doing a lot of hard contact and serious training- most of the Black Belts had boxed before, in the service etc. So TKD, suprisingly, was my first effective MA. Now- there was no MT, BJJ, etc- it was 1975-1979. Everything is relative.
                "Coffee is for Closers" GlenGarry Glenross

Comment

started TKD when I was 8....oh god the wasted years....

Comment

me. WTF at that. I was most appalled at learning of all the lies as far as the origin of the "art" before I examined the obvious uselessness of the "style" as real world self defense.
                    Familiarity breeds Contempt

There ain't a right way to do wrong or a wrong way to do right! Joe Frazier

Citizens should not fear their governments; governments should fear their citizens.

Comment

I admit it freely. The hell of it was, I really respected my instructor and still do. He's a really good man. But I finally decided that I wouldn't accept Russian poetry from a Spanish teacher just because he was such a good man.

My TKD instructor was Bill Auvenshine of Auvenshine's TKD in Auburn, IL. For the record, for anyone who wants to learn TKD, I still highly recommend the school. His black belts were true athletes who were very good at Olympic TKD sparring, which was all the more impressive because Mr. Auvenshine is a paraplegic who teaches from a wheelchair.

The truth is, I was a fan of MMA back then and knew about the holes in TKD. But I told myself that I could fix those later; first, I had to master an art, then I would crosstrain to fill in the gaps. Since I was going to fill in the gaps, it didn't matter what the base was as long as I trained it very hard. Well, it doesn't work that way. In retrospect, it really wasn't fair to the Auvenshines for me to string them along; they said they liked me and offered to let me train for free in return for helping with a renovation project. But they might as well have been running a basketball camp for all WTF TKD has to do with fighting, and I wanted to learn to fight. I still want to get in shape, lose weight, and all the rest, but I want to know how to fight, too.

It was when they started pushing me to test for a yellow belt that I decided I had to get out. They were sure I was ready, and looking back, I probably was--for TKD. But I looked at the white belt as my badge signifying that I didn't know anything. I expected to be able to apply at least basic techniques in a live situation before advancing in rank--that seemed like the bare minimum (by "live" I don't mean to set the bar too high--I'd have been happy if I could have pulled off one of the kicks or punches in WTF sparring and felt comfortable with it.) No, they insisted, "You train with intensity. Everyone has noticed it. You hit hard and you've memorized everything you need to move on. You're ready!"

I guess I decided that if the level I was at was ready for advancement, the advancement wouldn't mean much.

Tonight was my second BJJ class. It's a whole new world, but I'm already starting to feel like I see a little bit of what's happening. I rolled "live" tonight (albeit with a blue who was toying with me and letting me work) and it was an eye-opener. There is no analogue in the average dojang. None. I thought I knew that, but maybe I didn't.

Comment

Yeah, mine was WTF too. The funny thing was, my most frequent criticism was for 'not yelling loud enough'.

Comment

Yep, I did the prerequisite Ninja Turtles-inspired month of TKD when I was 8 too. I left because even then I could tell it was useless (*EDIT* For my purposes. *END EDIT*). When you spend four weeks doing katas and you're a sugar-fueled and Turtle-powered kid, the last thing you want to do is kick air.

Comment

Just so you can see how deep I was in, I found an old thread from 2002 in which I was discussing TKD with a guy with experience in Muay Thai, BJJ, TKD, Sambo--all sorts of stuff. The fact that he had done both TKD and Muay Thai and I had not did not, in my mind, mean that he necessarily knew more about comparing the two. Why, I couldn't say.
                            http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...=114186&page=2

And before anyone asks, Skorzeny wasn't a Nazi. He just admired Otto Skorzeny as a warrior.

Comment

TKD

TKD from 9-10 yrs old. I was just brawling like an ADHD kid would, though, so not much of it stayed with me.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X