So why don't kicks work in MMA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So why don't kicks work in MMA?

I've been watching more and more UFC events latley, and I've noticed that nobody ever throws a kick. And when they do throw a kick it's roundkick to the face. I'm going to assume that frontsnap kicks, frontfoot sidekicks, and reverse sidekicks aren't thrown in the UFC, because they don't work.

So my question is, if they don't work, why don't they work? And if they do work, why aren't they thrown?

Spinning Back Kicks (Turning Side Kicks, etc.) work occasionally and are rarely thrown.

Lots of fighters utilize round kicks to the legs, very effectively I might add.

Some fighters are known for KOs from high round kicks.

One danger in throwing kicks in general is being taken down - watch for people to counter a kick by scooping up the kicking leg and then kicking/sweeping out the other leg.
    -Jordan

Comment

Watch Pride.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazyman
        I've been watching more and more UFC events latley, and I've noticed that nobody ever throws a kick. And when they do throw a kick it's roundkick to the face. I'm going to assume that frontsnap kicks, frontfoot sidekicks, and reverse sidekicks aren't thrown in the UFC, because they don't work.

So my question is, if they don't work, why don't they work? And if they do work, why aren't they thrown?
        Go look up Cro Cop's fights and tell me kicks kicks are impossible to work. Like a lot of things, if you practice it realistically, you find ways to make things work.
        "Keep a sharp knife, shiny boots and be on time."

Comment

Bonnar was throwing a lot of axe kicks in his last fight.
          "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Comment

Most of those guys are MT style kickers. Their kicks require more commitment and if they miss they're more open than insert you own analogy. That's why you see more low kicks. Low kicks have less recovery time and vulnerability.
            Sumus extra manum tuam.

Comment

So why don't we see frontsnapkicks, or frontfoot sidekicks? IMO both kicks can be thrown rather quickly, and from a short distance. Everytime I watch a fight it seems to me that both fighters are wide open to both these kicks. Are they open to these kicks, or am I just a noob that is missing part of the equation?

Comment

Originally posted by FictionPimp
                Bonnar was throwing a lot of axe kicks in his last fight.
                GSP does some nasty axe kicks, too.
                Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

because front snap kicks are retarded and side kicks are asking to get single legged
                  Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

What is single legged, and why are frontsnap kicks retarded?

Comment

A single leg is when you grab your opponent by one of his legs, and then dump him on his arse. Standing balanced on one foot increases your vulnerability to such an attack.

Comment

Ranked #9 internationally at 118lbs by WIKBA http://www.womenkickboxing.com/wikba...rch%202009.htm

Comment

Front snap kicks dont really hurt all that much (plus they are a good way to jam your toes) and imo any kind of straight forward kick is more likely to get grabbed or swept of to the side and leave you vulnerable. Even the very effective push kick is rare in MMA for this reason.

There is a high risk ratio in kicking in MMA period and it's probably not really worth it in most cases since you stand the risk of being taken down or even slipping and falling on your ass, in which case your opponent is going to be right on top of you punching you.

They get the crowd goin though, so thats cool.

Comment

Being single legged mean that you will be taken down by a single-leg takedown. Frontsnaps don't have much power. The are nothing more than a jerky contraction of the quadriceps; they won't do much shit against someone that 1) knows how to deal with real power kicks, and 2) that has every intention to fuck you up.
                            Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

God-DAMN, that thing looks ridiculous.

Buy an Ing Un wooden man. Geez.
                              :new_all_c

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X