Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ogawa Ryu

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by seeker of truth
    K, yes I know the defenders were complying with what the attackers were doing. But alot of those moves are very different then the jjj I have seen. I was in jujutsu for a year and it looked nothing like that. I am competitivly involved in freestyle wrestling and some of those moves look similar (although the opponents are non-resisting).

    Plus at the begining the guy got the other guy in an omopalata.

    All JJJ isn't created equal. Some JJJ looks like Judo other look like Aikido. Some JJJ is primarily striking other primarily grappling.

    Comment


      #17
      What flavor of JJJ do you prefer?

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by TehDeadlyDimMak
        What flavor of JJJ do you prefer?
        Strawberry.

        Comment


          #19
          Looked pretty good/effective to me...albeit the vid was not actual kumite and appears to be filmed as a demo (hence the compliance) for the style showing various techniques. The oma in the opening was pretty damn smooth.

          Comment


            #20
            Ogawa Kashin(1786-1855) founded the Ogawa Ryu in Kyoto about 200years ago.

            He studied medicine under Taishu Ogino and practiced medicine in the Imperial Palace. From when he was fifty, he quit his medical practice in order to become a tea master.

            http://www.ogawaryu.com

            :XXmonkey: (Just for fun and to add a little culture to the discussion)

            Seriously though the video isn't too bad as these things go. I wouldn't have a problem training there. And Man-skirts are fun!

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Hidama
              Ogawa Kashin(1786-1855) founded the Ogawa Ryu in Kyoto about 200years ago.

              He studied medicine under Taishu Ogino and practiced medicine in the Imperial Palace. From when he was fifty, he quit his medical practice in order to become a tea master.

              http://www.ogawaryu.com

              :XXmonkey: (Just for fun and to add a little culture to the discussion)

              Seriously though the video isn't too bad as these things go. I wouldn't have a problem training there. And Man-skirts are fun!

              Ok so it not a Ko Ryu. Just a family MA from Japan. Its looks like Jujutsu, so I wouldn't really question it.

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by pl4zM4
                Ok so it not a Ko Ryu. Just a family MA from Japan. Its looks like Jujutsu, so I wouldn't really question it.
                Well actually it is a school for tea ceremony in Japan.
                Most likely the Ogawa ryu in Brazil is a family art from Brazil. (Kaze Ryu?!?)
                Many Japanese emigrated to various parts of S. America at the turn of the last century. The stuff on the video looks like Judo. Judo does have atemi (striking) in it though who knows where they picked up those shin kicks.

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by pl4zM4
                  Ok so it not a Ko Ryu. Just a family MA from Japan. Its looks like Jujutsu, so I wouldn't really question it.
                  Uhm you know the site he linked to has nothing to do with Jujutsu or MA at all, right?

                  Its a site for the Ogawa TEA school and it is ko ryu.:icon_smil

                  The Japanese will organize almost anything under a RYU. Tea, Sake, Swordmaking, Flower arranging, etc. So just because it has a name and RYU at the end doesn't mean its about MA.
                  ______
                  Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

                  RIP SOLDIER

                  Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                  -Gene, GODHAND

                  You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                  The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                  -Daniel Tosh

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Originally posted by LORD ASIA
                    Uhm you know the site he linked to has nothing to do with Jujutsu or MA at all, right?

                    Its a site for the Ogawa TEA school and it is ko ryu.:icon_smil

                    The Japanese will organize almost anything under a RYU. Tea, Sake, Swordmaking, Flower arranging, etc. So just because it has a name and RYU at the end doesn't mean its about MA.


                    Didn't click the link, just read the post. When I am at work, I never click links on Bullshido cause half the time its NSFW without mentioning it.

                    I take back my last post.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      Originally posted by seeker of truth

                      Anybody know the history to Ogawa Ryu jujutsu. It looks very effective although glorified.
                      I finally can see the vid. Not bad at all. I don't think its koryu but its definitely doesn't seem like a bad place to train.
                      ______
                      Xiao Ao Jiang Hu Zhi Dong Fang Bu Bai (Laughing Proud Warrior Invincible Asia) Dark Emperor of Baji!!!

                      RIP SOLDIER

                      Didn't anyone ever tell him a fat man could never be a ninja
                      -Gene, GODHAND

                      You can't practice Judo just to win a Judo Match! You practice so that no matter what happens, you can win using Judo!
                      The key to fighting two men at once is to be much tougher than both of them.
                      -Daniel Tosh

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Originally posted by odacon
                        Compliant.
                        Like a few other members, I'm going to give the video the benefit of the doubt as far as being a demonstration. Quite a few of those techniques look very familiar, even to a complete n00b in BJJ, and so long as the school does randori, I'd say it looks far better than the vast majority of crap we see out there.

                        And I'm sure if Aesopian and I made a clip of us practicing isolated techniques, it'd look just as compliant.

                        Just... y'know... hairier.

                        Comment


                          #27
                          I may have jumped the gun with the compliant crack, but on the other hand there are tradional JJJ schools out there that can put on a good demo, but do little or no Randori.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            These people are frauds.

                            All the "Ogawa family" lineage stuff is crap and lies.

                            They are teaching some made-up Aikijujutsu style, which is bits and pieces stolen from Aikido and Daito Ryu.

                            They also are teaching "Koppojutsu" which is some crap they have stolen from the Bujinkan (Ninjutsu) art.

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by shmuel
                              These people are frauds.

                              All the "Ogawa family" lineage stuff is crap and lies.

                              They are teaching some made-up Aikijujutsu style, which is bits and pieces stolen from Aikido and Daito Ryu.

                              They also are teaching "Koppojutsu" which is some crap they have stolen from the Bujinkan (Ninjutsu) art.

                              More detail please and how you draw your conclusions. Just saying someone doesn't mean it is true.

                              What do they claim exactly? Do you have expirence with them? Bujnikan Koppojutsu is derivitive of Koto Ryu. Did they have a Bujinkan or Koto Ryu instructor?


                              PS.Otherwise what your said is libel.

                              Comment


                                #30
                                I saw the website of these people some time ago, i even posted a clip of them some time ago .

                                After reading the site (Portuguese is similar to Galician language) and watching the clips i don't think these guys are a legitimate koryu but i could be wrong; wearing hakama some hours a week doesn't make me a JMA scholar.

                                Even if some of their techniques seem solid, the lineage smells fishy, and lineage is very important in koryu arts. And what is worse, when i saw this:

                                http://www.budointernational.com/htm...japanese28.htm

                                (for those who don't understand Spanish: is a link to the spanish Black Belt magazine, where the DVD of Mr. Jordan is sold)

                                the bs alert went trough the roof: Legitimate Koryu in BB magazine... WTF?

                                Edit: I've found this thread in E-Budo about the subject:
                                http://www.e-budo.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36120
                                Last edited by DCS; 1/11/2007 6:56pm, .

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X