Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ogawa Ryu

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9ZcfQjiSlg&search=jujutsu[/media]

Anybody know the history to Ogawa Ryu jujutsu. It looks very effective although glorified.

Compliant.

Comment

did that first demo end in an omoplata?

Comment

Traditional Ju Jutsu of the Ogawa Ryu. This is a type similar to pre-WWII Judo, when various families of traditional JuJutsu joined the movement started by Jigoro Kano in the foundation of the Kodokan.

This line is practiced in Brazil in the Brazilian Bugei Society.

Comment

Double post. Sorry.

Comment

asdfasjf;lka [MEDIA] tags on YouTube links

Comment

homepage http://www.bugei.com.br/bugei/ogawaryu.asp
              Originally Kaze Ryu. Brought to Brazil by the Ogawa family.

Comment

I've hit a dead end with Kaze ryu. They're claiming it's koryu, but I can't find any references to it anywhere else.

The homepage is all just blah-blah 1100 a.d., blah-blah battlefield style, blah-blah.

Comment

Anyone see anything in there that wasn't BJJ/Judo?

Comment

didn't he kick the guy to start a technique?

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn
                      Anyone see anything in there that wasn't BJJ/Judo?
                      Hakama? Compliance?

Looks allright though... better than most jujutsu clips I've seen.

Comment

In a flicky and ineffective manner, yes.

I was quite amused to read the comments underneath. Apparently BJJ should should look more like this video, by which I suppose they must mean choreographed, in Hakama and utilising pointless snappy kicks, because they're the only differences as far as I can tell.

Did they really have the collar-and-elbow in Koryu JuJutsu?

EDIT: Damn you BSD, now I look like Hannibal.

Comment

Looked like Standard Judo with Strikes. AKA Classical-like Style Jujutsu (Think the Yoshin Ryu stuff). However, I cannot find any record of it in my Ko Ryu books nor through Google-fu except their video. Look like a modern recreated of classical jujutsu using Judo w/ some traditional stirking. Those type of leg kicks are found in many traditional schools.

Looks like a solid system and remarkably similiar to my Nihon Jujutsu training.

Comment

Originally posted by PointyShinyBurn
                            In a flicky and ineffective manner, yes.

Not quite. A quick and hard thigh kick distracts/open them up for your entrance. Its not suppose to be a knockdown kicks like a thai roundhouse, but a setup for something bigger.

Comment

K, yes I know the defenders were complying with what the attackers were doing. But alot of those moves are very different then the jjj I have seen. I was in jujutsu for a year and it looked nothing like that. I am competitivly involved in freestyle wrestling and some of those moves look similar (although the opponents are non-resisting).

Plus at the begining the guy got the other guy in an omopalata.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X