How Do Kick!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How Do Kick!?

All right, I'm very poor, and there's no worthwhile places to train striking arts around here. What I'm looking for is some kind of instructions on proper form, distancing, etc. for kicks, and to a lesser extent, hand attacks. Not really interested in style, just functional advice on how to train it in preparation for an actual martial art. Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I've only had time to go through the posts for grappling arts so far, and the search function hates me :P

You can't learn anything from text/books/the internet without a basic foundation of understanding. Or more philosophically: You must start your journey from somewhere or every step you take will lead you in the wrong direction.

Comment

Kicks suck anyway.
      You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Comment

I guess my foundation would be "hit things hard while standing up and preferably not falling down?" I saw the boxing manual you posted, PirateJon, am looking it over atm. Suck or not, I'd like to try my hand at MMA, so I might get a chance to one day kick somebody! Not above the waist though, that's just silly.

Comment

Cung Le begs to disagree.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I4QdF...arch=Cung%20Le

Comment

Not really interested in style, just functional advice on how to train it in preparation for an actual martial art.
            get in shape, and don't waste your time trying to learn techniques without an instructor.

Comment

Originally posted by Wynergy
              All right, I'm very poor, and there's no worthwhile places to train striking arts around here. What I'm looking for is some kind of instructions on proper form, distancing, etc. for kicks, and to a lesser extent, hand attacks. Not really interested in style, just functional advice on how to train it in preparation for an actual martial art. Sorry if this is a repeat thread, I've only had time to go through the posts for grappling arts so far, and the search function hates me :P
              Retreat into the mountains for several years of intense physical/mental/spiritual training. Unless you're not Asian, in that case drink some raw eggs and punch and kick some raw meat.

Comment

You know, I've watched "Rocky" too. As for not learning things without an instructor, wouldn't it be helpful to at least have a concept of what to do, before going to a professional to teach it?

Comment

sure, if you like unlearning before learning.

if you try and learn without someone who knows what the fuck he's doing around, all you'll develop are bad habits.

Comment

Bad habits in the most basic striking techniques possible? I mean, yeah, there's little technical points that would get my arse creamed by someone who knows what they're doing, but... Nevermind. No matter what I say, there's going to be someone who wants to tell me it's impossible to teach yourself how to sock a guy. I don't have money or travelling capacity to go somewhere with a professional, licensed instructor, so it's going to have to be with what I can glean from other sources and sparring with my friends.

Comment

You know, I've watched "Rocky" too. As for not learning things without an instructor, wouldn't it be helpful to at least have a concept of what to do, before going to a professional to teach it?
                      No no no.

No. Since you don't have the skills needed to perform the action you certainly don't have the skills to evaluate your own performance of the action. You may be doing all it all correct but you may also be teaching yourself bad habits.

There is no substitue for real mma training but you should be able to find cheap / low cost training somewhere near you. There's a Judo club run by a 7th dan that's $35 a month. My boxing classes are $50. the bjj classes near me are $55. The college wrestling club is free. Etc. Look around. call local colleges / highschools.

If you really really can't train, then focus on cardio, flexability and building lean muscle. Having good cardio will be several orders of magnitue better than anything you could teach yourself from the internet.

Edit: add my anicdote. I've sparred with friends, fucked around with people, been in fights, all that shit, and until my first boxing class I'd never thrown a proper punch. You don't understand this because you haven't trained with a real pro. It's a completely different world. Fuck, if you're that dang poor, ask about cleaning a place for free instruction or something.
                      Last edited by PirateJon; 6/23/2006 1:45pm, .
                      You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Comment

Hrm. Fair enough. My main focus is BJJ anyway, since I can get a ride and it's cheap enough for my (extremely) meagre budget. The cardio's never been an issue, I'm a skinny hyperactive build type, and since I was taught to keep breathing, it's not yet come up. I was interested in learning some basics, so I could mix things up with my training partners. Thank you!

Comment

Most training places offer a free class or a free week to check them out. You could do worse than go try all of the ones in your area.

Comment

well proper training will always be best, i never recomend learning off the internet, books would be your safest bet if you insist on self training. also, do you have any friends with a high grade in a martial art? that could be a cheap way too start.

i know a lot of chinese martial arts classes are held free in the park around here during the summer but these are mostly internal styles so up to you really.

other than that run everyday and make yourself a punch bag... a punch something....just punch something hard with gloves on many many times a day. everyone can make a punch bag, if your really stuck, matress + tree + good rope = decent enough punching bag.

learn as much as you can by observing, most martial arts classes have no qualms with you watching a class, watch and learn. study what they have. although this isnt ideal you can do it as many times as you like, if the instructors a nice guy. then follow the advice he gives the other students and try and apply it too yourself. go with a buddy so he can watch you and mark out what your doing wrong if he takes notes while watching the class.

most city councils also run free self defence classes, if you look there are many schemes teaching people self defence although these are mainly targeting for the old or vulnerable you could try and get in a class there.

i know its a tad gay but churches and church halls normally have a MA class going on and there usually cheap.

other than that i cant stress the punchbag and running enough. i mean if you cant take a guy out with the punching youve done on the bag your still gonna be a pretty good runner.... but try and get aan instructor to teach you.

Comment

Hrm. Fair enough. My main focus is BJJ anyway, since I can get a ride and it's cheap enough for my (extremely) meagre budget. The cardio's never been an issue, I'm a skinny hyperactive build type, and since I was taught to keep breathing, it's not yet come up. I was interested in learning some basics, so I could mix things up with my training partners. Thank you!
                              Don't assume that just because you have an skinny, hyperactive type you have good cardio. I'm going to give you a test:

1 - run around a block at a steady pace for 4 minutes (say at a rate of 12minute/mile) for 4 minutes (your warm up)
                              2 - without stopping, begin to run as fast as you can (really as fast as you can) for 1 minute
                              3 - without stopping go back to the steady rate for 1 minute
                              4 - stop and immediately do as many push-ups as you can - don't count, do them until failure,
                              5 - get up and run around the block at the same steady pace you did before for 2 minutes
                              6 - go back to step #2 and repeat the cycle 2 more times.

If you can do that, then yeah, your cardio is good for fighting/sparring. If not, work on your cardio by doing some isometrics.

I find it hard to believe that you cannot find a cheap place - a lot of judo schools are like $30 or less. But I can also believe you have a hard time money wise. So the best thing is to get in good shape, but doing isometrics, by eating well, by improving your flexibility.

I don't doubt you are in shape, but being in shape in general does not necessarily translate to being in shape for a particular activity.

Good luck.

ps... What PirateJon said, there's always being one or two guys who made up their MA payments by cleaning the mats.

Also, if you can't really, really, really spare $30 to $50 bucks a month for training, you may be wiser to improve your financial situation FIRST before trying to train for MA. Get your priorities straight ;)
                              Last edited by Teh El Macho; 7/11/2006 7:26am, .
                              Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X