looking for a good Karate school in San Diego, CA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a good Karate school in San Diego, CA

I have a friend that's going to UCSD and is interested in taking karate. He's thinking of taking it at the local gym but isn't sure if it's a good place or not (www.ucsdkarate.com) and asked me to find any information on it or any information on a good school in the area.

Does anyone know if this place is any good and if not what good karate schools are there that's near UCSD?

I am a UCSD student, although not involved with the karate program, but I spend alotta time around the main gym, where all the MA stuffs goes on mostly.

If your buddy wants to meet plenty of nerdy asian/white girls and do kata all day, it should be great for him. UCSD has a huge MA following, the vast majority of which is Shotokan, Wushu or TKD, very few who do much sparring at all, as far as I have been told and have seen.

Comment

He's interested in being able to fight. I suggested something like BJJ or MT but he's pretty hellbent on Karate.

Comment

If he's hell bent on karate try to find him a shidokan, daido juko, kyokushin or enshin school in the area. He won't learn to fight otherwise.

Don't let your friend become a Shotocunt. He'll think he can fight and then get into trouble. If you like him, keep him out of there.

Apparently goju ryu is supposed to be pretty good but I've no experience of it so I can't recommend it.

I listed Shidokan first because it combines kyokushin, muay thai and grappling. Its rare tho. If I could train anywhere, it'd be a shidokan dojo
        He who attains his ideal by that very fact transcends it- Nietzsche

I like my Te like I like my tea- from Fujian province and without any bullshit in it. Oh, and green. And scented with jasmine blossoms...

Originally posted by A Better American Than You
        In every country and every age, the priest has been hostile to liberty. He is always in alliance with the despot.

Comment

I'm afraid that I can't seem to find any Shidokan karate gyms.Try these locations.I hope there's one near San Diego!

http://www.enshin.com/index2.html

Too bad for your friend there are no Kyokushin in your area.Suggest to him to just go and find a good Kickboxing or Muay-thai place.
          [img=http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/2364/8026700123940loij9.th.jpg]

"God damn America" --Muammar al-Gaddafi

Comment

Is it safe to say that the karate that they teach at UCSD is crap then?

Comment

I go to UCSD too... I would be happy to meet up with your friend and chat about MA some time. Please PM me with his name so I can get in touch with him... it's always good to have another friend on campus.

http://recreation.ucsd.edu/clss/inde...Martial%20Arts

There are a lot of MA classes at UCSD... The quality isn't the best but you really can't beat the price.

As you can see by the picture of the chambered shuto in back stance, you will see this is just standard Krappy Karate Kata, which doesn't teach you a lick about fighting. They do have a "kumite" class, which I have not personally observed but I would wager that it is worthless discontinuous light contact point sparring.

If he really wants to go to karate I recommend he check out ALL of the avalable classes and pick the one he likes the best.

If he really wants to learn effective techniqe he should try the BJJ and Judo classes.

If he is serious about learning how to fight, he should go to train at one of these schools:

http://www.royharris.com/ - Roy Harris (my Grand-master)
              http://www.theboxingclub.net/ - Dean Lister (Pride fighter, uber grappler)

Comment

Let it be known that good, full-contact "Traditional Karate" schools like Shidokan, Kyokushin, etc...are extremely rare in San Diego. You typically have to go to LA to find anyone credible.

The closest he'll find is something like Kajukenbo, Shito Ryu, or some of the old school ITF TKD guys.

I used to train in Indiana with an associate of Hanshi Miki of Shito Ryu Karate, found here http://www.jko.com/ The training is traditional with a HUGE emphasis on sport karate...which is somewhere between Olympic TKD and KK. Not great, but better than most and you'll spar a LOT.

Also check out these guys if you can:
                http://www.arniskenpo.com/Kenpo.htm

To quote: "We changed our style of sparring from non-contact to full contact fighting. Right from the start, I wanted to teach Kenpo that would be suited for self-defense on the street; our training was intensive, hard, and disciplined."

The Cepeda Brothers are extremely credible and produce excellent fighters, and you'll be exposed to a lot of FMA and Kickboxing/Boxing in addition to Kajukenbo.

I will also vouch for Dean Lister at The Boxing Club. Mel Menor (K-1) coaches there as well, and both guys are extremely good at what they do in addition to being nice guys.

Good luck!
                Originally posted by Exodus
                Helio was submitted by Kimura

Comment

If your friend wants, I can put on a karate gi and punch him in the face a few times at theboxingclub.
                  "Emevas,
                  You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Comment

Emevas, are you at the Kearny Mesa branch of the boxing club?
                    Originally posted by Exodus
                    Helio was submitted by Kimura

Comment

Nah, I'll be signing up at the Poway one when I get back home (fly in on 4 May)
                      "Emevas,

Comment

Originally posted by Leon S Kennedy
                        Is it safe to say that the karate that they teach at UCSD is crap then?
                        Personally, I'd tell you yes, definately, it sucks. Even the BJJ, which is miles ahead, starts out with 40 some students who flop around during two minute rolling periods (limited mats) and by then end of the quarter its down to 10 students tops. I'd personally say MA as UCSD sucks (overall, obviously there are exceptions)

However, in keeping with the bullshido ethic, I cannot say for sure having not taken a UCSD karate class, even though I've seen them many times and have a TKD blackbelt friend who's happy there with has kata and such.

My advice would be to convince your friend that he doesn't have to do karate. There might very well be some badass karateka around SD, but I don't know of any.

Comment

I still have that karate gi and black belt. We can pull this off. I'm not against yelling Ki-yah a couple of times while I throw a jab.
                          "Emevas,

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                          X